PDA

View Full Version : Adam's Apple and Neck Muscles

Norwich
26-05-09, 13:40
I posted this on the HA forum a week or so ago and didn't get any replies, so rather than panic and think that the silence means there's something wrong with me, I thought I'd try this forum too as its more specific, in case anyone else has the same 'problem'. So.....

Does anyone else have an adam's apple that does not sit right in the middle of their neck but a bit to one side when they look straight ahead, and/or that doesn't go directly up and down when they swallow but goes slightly to one side?

Also, is it normal to have one side of your neck slightly better muscled than the other (like if you are right handed you are likely to have larger muscles in your right arm / hand)? I'm not talking about a difference that you would notice if you weren't looking for it by the way, but one that is clear of you are.

Thanks

Mad Medic
28-05-09, 11:42
It really is quite normal for our body not to be perfectly symmetrical. I actually had exactly the same hang up that you describe. Eventually I just looked in the mirror and thought "so what?".

You could do this for everything: noses, ears, eyes, cheeks...you'd never stop.

Unless your throat is causing you real problems, and by that I mean problems swallowing/speaking/coughing, then I wouldn't worry.

And yes the muscles in one's neck are often bigger on one side. My left hand side is noticeably more chunky than the right thanks to neck pain I sometimes get and my efforts to stretch it out lol

Norwich
28-05-09, 12:17
Thanks a lot for that reply, that's great. You know I'll probably start looking out for swallowing and speech problems now, and panic at every cough!