PDA

View Full Version : Tough Day with Anxiety

MikeyT
30-08-05, 19:48
It was the last available day, before returning to school, that would could take our children out for the day as a family today.
We decided to take them to The Deep in Hull
This is where I really struggle - partner said it would be fine if I didn't go - which would have been the easier option.
But I know if I am ever to break this, which has been around for ten years, I need to do this as I have kept going around in circles of avoidance.
I drove, but felt very anxious all the way - several time contemplated in turning round and coming home.
Rescue Remedy and Kalms on tap - took a good hour after arriving before things calmed down to a more manageable level.
Just cannot understand why my anxiety feeds on these sorts of situations, if I had been by myself - I know the anxiety would be much much less, but this does not help my family life.
My partner is very understanding, but I realise for her that it is upsetting, that she sees me battling to do everyday things that should be fun.
We arrived back home and I now feel shattered - early night in order.
Oh - I would recommend a visit to The Deep.
Mick

Meg
30-08-05, 19:56
Mikey - could it be that once you agreed to go - people were depending on you so the pressure is higher.

I went there once during my recovery and got a thing about checking the thickness of the glass and thinking about the pressure of the water behind it .
I was very glad to get out. Since then have been to similar oceanariums and not worried at all.

Think the take home message is definately- well done for going !

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

MikeyT
30-08-05, 20:37
Thanks Meg - My Anxiety seems a lot worse when other people are involved, which I why I have decided to try and do more things as a family, instead of my parter doing things with our children by herself.
And I know my two girls like it when their dad is with them.

Not a problem with the place - my sort of thing - just kept a look out for the exit if needed - catastrophising (spelling).

Will order your CD pack in due course.

Thanks for you kind words
Mick

Elle-Kay
30-08-05, 20:59
I find that my anxiety is worse if other people - particularly people who haven't witnessed me having an attack - are around. Especially if they are somehow relying on me; if I'm doing the driving, for instance. Like you, I am trying to plug away at doing things with other people, and went out for a family day out at a birds of prey centre yesterday (my car was in for service, so I had no choice but to be a passenger for a change), so a hearty congratulations from someone who was in the same shoes! :)

--- Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

nomorepanic
30-08-05, 21:00
Mikey

It was probably the added pressure of having to do it for the family but hey you did it and we are proud of you !

Hope you sleep well and feel more chilled tomorrow.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

SickofIt
30-08-05, 21:48
I have the same problem around others, particularly my family since they rely on me so much to keep everything together.

Just tell yourself that your children will not remember (or will they even know about) their Dad's struggles with anxiety, they will only remember the time they have spent with you.

Karen
31-08-05, 01:45
Well done for going Mikey and getting through it in spite of the anxiety.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

eeyorelover
31-08-05, 06:05
hi Mikey -
think about it this way ... you made it through it. You should be proud that you faced the fear and made it.
Congrats !!!

Sandy
(eeyorelover)

MikeyT
31-08-05, 17:07
Thanks all for you words of support - good to realise that their are other people out there who understand.
Just need to start feeling a little more energised - positive etc and move to the next challenge.
Regards
Mike