PDA

View Full Version : How to cope with a long day out?

Cat80
28-05-09, 10:29
Does anyone have any tips about coping with being away from for a long time? I'm off to see Take That in Manchester at the end of June and will be out of the house for around 12 hours. I will be going by trains (takes an hour and a half) then will be travelling by tram to Old Trafford. My friend who is going wants to spend the whole day there before the concert. The concert then lasts about 3 hours and then my sister is coming to pick me up and take us home (it takes about an hour to get out of Manchester after the concert). Just so worried as to how I will cope as my main problem is feeling like I am going to be sick any minute and also feeling really tired if I do too much. Just don't know how to cope.

jsl298
28-05-09, 12:07
Hiya

Firstly I would like to congratulate you on being brave enough to agree to the day in the first place. Challenge 1 ie avoiding scary situations is overcome. I would love to go and see Take That but decided a day out in London and a crowded arena wasn't really for me as I suffer from similar worries to you.

My tips for coping would be to tell your friend about your anxiety and perhaps reduce the length of the day a bit to make it more relxed and fun for you. I would also suggest trying to get plenty of sleep before hand as I find being anxious pretty exhausting and it sounds like an exhausting day already without making it worse by being tired.

Have a great day, and try to relax and enjoy yourself. You are half way there by agreeing to go, next time it won't seem half so scary as you will have survived and enjoyed it before!

Jo

Deepest Blue
28-05-09, 12:34
Hey ya Cat:hugs:

I think it's great that you're going and you deserve a lot of credit. A day out anywhere especially somewhere in a big City is always going to be daunting, even when I go with my sisters who don't suffer with any anxiety still complain about how tiring it is.

I went to see Mighty Boosh at the O2 last year amongst other things and they were long days. I think the worst things for me were the train trips and being amongst so many people feeling crowded which made me feel very anxious, but once I was out in the open air I just tried to find somewhere that wasn't so busy and chilled there until the time. Maybe try and keep away from anywhere so busy unless absolutely necessary.

Take lots of drink with you too, I find that taking a bottle of water helps.

Hope you have a nice day anyway, I like Take That's latest stuff is brilliant in comparison to when I remember them back in the 90's when their music was a bit too cheesy for me then.

Cat80
28-05-09, 13:46
Thanks for the replies and advice. I'm going to be scared no matter what I think. It's just last week I ventured out to Preston and was out for 4 hours, then the next day I was completely wiped out and in pain with my muscles etc (am going to the Dr's on the 11th June about how tired I am).

I guess my main worry is the feeling of being sick and the pain I am going to be in. Just wish I could switch off from it all like I used to be able to before anxiety became extreme.

There is no way I'm missing the concert though, went to the last one and managed that as I was only out for about 6 hours (and that was bad enough, the anxiety I mean not because I was at a Take That concert lol).

NoPoet
28-05-09, 14:24
Hi, the scariest part is the feeling of being away from your support network -- you are leaving your "comfort zone". While this can be very scary at first, it is necessary for your recovery.

When you have got through it you will have something to be very proud of and you will have taken a significant step towards getting better. It can be a long road, so every footstep counts!

Have fun at the concert :D

Cat80
28-05-09, 16:34
Thanks PsychPoet, I know I will feel proud afterwards. It's just the next months lead up will be spent worrying everyday all the time (think I'm worse at the mo because I'm hormonal lol).

Thanks again for the replies, just wish there was something I coulf take that would calm me down for the train and tram journey.

NoPoet
28-05-09, 17:45
You might not even feel so bad when the time comes, you might be on the road to recovery :D

Maybe get yourself out before the concert so you get used to going out? Honestly, even if it's tough at first, it really does get easier with time!