PDA

View Full Version : Exercise

questloves_afro
04-01-04, 17:05
Hi this is my first post on here.

Just wondering if anyone else feels worse after exercise. I play football once a week and usually feel quite bad (nauseous, dizzy) afterwards.

This puzzles me slightly as everyone else I've spoken to believes exercise is good for you.

Another sympton I seem to have at the moment is a kind of tension in my arms. Is this another sympton of anxiety.

benoo5
04-01-04, 17:59
hi quest,

to be honest,its difficult to answer your post,until you have told us about yourself...its obvious,your a young male,but thats all.

do you suffer from anxiety/panic etc...when is the last time you saw a doctor..have you had a recent ECG,and blood tests.

please give more information,and ime sure the people here can advise you...best wishes..bryan.

vernon
04-01-04, 19:38
Hi benoo5 I get the same when I feel anxious and was surprised too at everyone saying exorcises does you good. Even my Doctor tells me to exocise but like you it really makes me have a bad panic attack and feel real bad and weak for a long time after. cov49

vernon
04-01-04, 19:39
Hi quest i meant sorry benoo. I get the same when I feel anxious and was surprised too at everyone saying exorcises does you good. Even my Doctor tells me to exocise but like you it really makes me have a bad panic attack and feel real bad and weak for a long time after. cov49

uryjm
05-01-04, 22:25
Are you badly out of condition? I once swam three lengths of a pool after a long period of sloth, staggered to the bogs and threw up! Mind you, I was young then and laughed it off. If it happened to me now, I'd be worrying for days that something was seriously wrong. But I've also had the dizziness and lightheadedness you speak of, and used to get it after jogging for maybe half an hour. It didn't happen all the time, and I thought it was something to do with the way I was breathing - my sister had the same, and the doctor told her she was almost hyperventilating during exercise instead of getting good full breaths and this was making her feel panicky.

Jim

questloves_afro
06-01-04, 19:07
Thanks for the replies.

A little more about me: I am M 33 years old. I first had some anxiety 5 years ago where I suffered chest pains and some dizziness etc. I went to the doctors who checked me out fully, e.g heart scan, ecg, fitness test etc. Everything came back normal. Once I knew I was fine the symptons went away. 4 years later ( 1 year ago) I started to feel dizzy at work and had sweaty hands/feet etc. It got worse over the year and I started to feel paranoid about people noticing. Going home from work at Lunchtime, wondering whether I would make it through the day, feeling like I could collapse (sometimes I have a spell of sudden dizziness) I often feel agitated, panicky etc esp when I have a lot of work on my desk. I went back to the doctor and he suggested counselling/anti-depressants. I briefly took some SSRI's but came off them as I felt more panicky and didn't really want to go down the route of drugs. I am now seeing a Chartered Physcholgist which helps a bit. I'd say I am pretty much feeling bad all the time. Probably the fact that I know I will be not feeling right after playing football makes the anxiety worse but I don't want to stop playing as it would feel like giving up. I often don't sleep soundly all night and sometimes the whole of the next day after exercise is bad. I am not that fit but have been generally sporty all my life and wouldn't say I am in really bad condition. I may be though.

Hears The Water
06-01-04, 21:07
I have found that when I am not breathing right, exercise can make me feel light headed and tingly. Sometimes it is because I am hyperventalating by breathing heavily and improperly. Sometimes it is beacuse I have not been breating deep enough and exercise forces more oxygen into my blood and that too can make me feel odd. Kind of a catch 22 huh?
God bless you and yours
Hears The Water

benoo5
06-01-04, 22:58
hi,thanx for the extra info,

as youve recently seen your gp,he/she will have automatically checked your blood pressure,so that seems okay.

reading between the lines,i would say that,your main area of exercise,is playing football,once a week...you know,as well as me,that the fitness required,for running around a soccer pitch for 90mins,is extreme,to say the least...so the first thing,i would suggest,is that you gradually increase your fitness level...just a gentle 30min jog,twice a week will help...maybe join a gym,as this will also help with your anxiety.

study the breathing techniques,that are readily available on this site...look at your diet,your drinking...are you taking vitamin B complex.

your seeing a phsycotherapist..this will help you understand your thought processes,and help you to think positive...its obvious,from wot you have said,that your suffering from,a bad spell of anxiety,and our nurse meg,will be able to advise you,far better than myself,wot you need to do regarding this..but i wish you well..bryan.

Lottie32
07-01-04, 10:07
Just a quick one, but if I exercise when I am hungry, and don't rehydrate during exercise I feel dizzy and nauseous after!

Try to eat before you play (obviously leaving enough time for your food to digest). If you have to play at a "strange" time that is out of sync with your eating habits, then try having a snack prior (again allow time for it to digest).

Take something like ginger biscuits or digestives and an apple to nibble on when you finish playing. I often feel nauseous because I'm hungry.

Also, exercising on a full stomach can have the same effect.

And incorrect breathing is also a good way to make yourself feel ill!

Charlie

questloves_afro
07-01-04, 19:18
Again thanks to you all for the advice and good wishes.

I will have a look at the breathing techniques some of you mention as this seems interesting.

I try to eat a little before playing e.g. Bananas, Cereal bars. May need to drink more fluids afterwards (I try to drink during the game).

Cov49 - I agree about the "long time to recover". Maybe we are anxious about exercising because we know it will make us feel bad.