PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Me!

ducatiluke
29-05-09, 00:49
I am going to keep this super short and try to get to the point.

Three months ago i started getting lightheaded, and had the whole depersonalization/short of breath thing almost 24/7. In two months I was in the ER three times, and the first two times they didnt even really run tests, they just sent me home saying it was probably vertigo.

The third time I went in, I went because accompanying these symptoms was stabbing chest pains, about 5-10 good ones a day. The did EKG, chest Xray , and urine/bloodwork, and after a whole night of waiting, my results came back fine, so I made a family doctor appointment because I was worried beyond hell.

So, my doc said it was anxiety, and said he was scheduling a CAT SCAN on my head, and then prescribed me with ativan.

The CT scan came back fine as well, and the Ativan work like a charm for taking the edge off, this was 2 months ago or so, and now im even worse.

Since then, for at least the last month and a half I have had CONSTANT chest /stomach pain. The chest pains are intense, and sharp and take my breath away. The come about 10 times a day too, and when i went to the ER AGAIN the said it was acid reflux ( without testing for anything- just looking at me lol)

So ive been on ZANTAC 150s for almost a month, 2 a day, and ive weened down to .5 of ativan before bedtime. The chest pains are scaring the crap out of me and I really am convinced im dying

I started going to therapy with a clinician for anxiety about a month ago, and since then the pain is almost constant- and my doctor is now sick and cant see me for a month, and im sure I cant go back to the ER anytime soon!

Does anyone think this could be anxiety?

the pain i mean, or am i doomed?

please help and sorry for the rant.

My stomach and chest have been hurting ALL day.\

oh yeah, the feeling of discomfort in my tummy is almost constant, its just the stabbing pains that are on every 2 hours or so. It has no real pattern - doesnt matter when or what i eat either. cut out all caffeine and alcohol too!

SisterFister
29-05-09, 01:15
I get frequent chest pains, but they go away, and I always put them down to trapped wind, which I don't think applies to you. Have they felt your stomach to see if there's anything there obstructing? Have they checked for appendicitis? You could have one of a number of conditions, even asthma.

It can't be just down to anxiety that's causing you so much pain, there must be something physically off with your body to make you feel this way. My advice is this, see a different doctor, see if they say the same thing and that you need a physical check up.

At the same time, try not to let it worry you, you're not dying (I know, almost impossible but really try) try really simple things like breathing exercises, getting enough sleep, a healthy diet and try and stay stress free and take baths and cups of tea. When and if you've tried that and you've had all the baths and cups of tea you can handle, persist to your doctor, get support and find out the root of the problem for you.

I hope that's not too patronising and I hope it helps at least a little bit.

ducatiluke
29-05-09, 01:21
Thank you for your response. I am confident that there is definately something wrong, and I think taking 300mg of Zantac a day for something that may not be acid reflux may be bad too. Who knows- I feel like I'm dying right NOW

SisterFister
29-05-09, 01:32
Just be confident that there are million other ways in which they can test for what's wrong.

If you really feel like you're dying, I think ER is the best place to be, or at least have someone keep an eye on you.

Sorry you're feeling so terrible, I sincerely hope you feel better X.

xBettyBoopx
29-05-09, 02:01
Hi Luke

I'm so sorry that you're having a bad time at the moment, I certainly can empathize with you.

Studies show well over 50% of anxiety sufferers have chronic chest pain + stomach problems. I have a lot of chest pain, all over my chest, all sorts of different type pains, the tension is so bad, it is so painful. I also have stomach problems but I don't think I have acid reflux.

You said that the ativan 'worked like a charm', why have you cut down on it? I was just wondering, if you went back to how much you were taking before, you could see if it works, if it does then you know it's anxiety, nothing more.

No amount of tranquillization can completely take anxiety away but it does ease it a lot, especially ativan as it's strong.

Did the dr at the hospital give you a diet sheet when he told you that you had acid reflux? There are things you shouldn't eat & drink if you have this condition. I would say google for a diet sheet, but I don't think we should google anything:scared15: :scared15:

Can you see a different doctor? I see you're in Canada, I don't know how the system works over there.

I hope you get it sorted soon Luke, but we are here for each other & I hope I have been a little bit of help!:blush:

Els

ducatiluke
29-05-09, 03:04
diet sheet? I didn't even get looked at with as little as a stethoscope. I'm getting tired of this and seriously losing it. Ugh! Maybe