PDA

View Full Version : need reassurance please...

pb
29-05-09, 22:46
I know this will sound mad, but i have been suffering from constipation on and off for a few months.
This week i have had fybogel on 3 days , sennokot on 1 day and prune juice (too much) on another (this had been over 7 days.)
Ive now convinced myself that i have damaged my bowel and that it will never work properly again as i read that prolonged use of laxatives could cause a lazy bowel..
I know this must sound crazy , but i feel really scared and convinced i have caused damage.
PLEASE ADVISE...

nomorepanic
29-05-09, 22:50
Nope not that quickly you won't - it takes years of laxative abuse and the bowel recovers very well from abuse - I know lol

pb
29-05-09, 22:58
Thank You!

madelaine
30-05-09, 01:27
i work in a hospital and u definately havent got no bowel problems itll cum in its own good tme lol good luck

dragonfly
30-05-09, 13:32
It does take many years of laxative abuse to mess up your system so you'll be ok :) I too suffer from chronic constipation and I what works for me (currently anyway) is drinking lots of water - taking a psyllium supplement every morning and a stool softener at night. Apparently stool softeners are safe to take long term because they are not stimulants - that is what a nurse told me anyway but it doesn't stop me from worrying too.

MoodyBlue
30-05-09, 14:19
Hey pb, have you thought about what is causing this constipation? I had a period a good few years ago where I was constipated at least once a week and it was all down to my diet. For some reason, my body became intolerant to banana's & oats - I found this out by keeping a food diary, and sure enough, after banana's and porridge you could guarantee that I wouldn't be able to go the loo :-( After cutting them out of my diet, all is well now :-)

Trixie
30-05-09, 15:22
You need to train your bowel to go at the same time every day. Go to the loo and sit there for a while you may not pass anything but do the same next day and the next until your bowel gets the message.

I have gone to the loo the same time every day for over 20 years.