PDA

View Full Version : How it all started

cheryl72
30-05-09, 16:07
Hi everyone

February 11th 2009 ….. the start of it all ….

Palpitations, feeling dizzy, light headed, everything felt surreal. I managed to take my daughter to school, god knows how I managed it, all the while thinking I could pass out or die at any moment.
I went to see the GP, who said it may be nicotine poisoning, or too many stimulants i.e caffeine and nicotine. Told me to go back in a few days if things didn’t improve after cutting down on caffeine and nicotine.

Symptoms apart from palpitations remained the same, I felt awful, scared that something was wrong with my heart. I went back to my GP and had an ECG and various blood tests. Results were fine, potassium level a little high, was advised to cut down on potassium. Did a little research on the internet only to discover all major foods contain potassium. I called the health centre to see if I could speak with a dietician, was told she only works one day a week, luckily the day I called, was told to call back later that day. I did so, she never turned up that day !!!

I called the GP to ask how much I had to cut down on foods that were high in potassium, I was told to have one portion a day of high potassium foods. Foods that are high in potassium are, potatoes, all meat and fish, all raw vegetables, tomatoes, the list is endless. I basically starved myself for 3 days and almost passed out. I went back to the GP who advised me to start eating normally again, that my potassium level was not that high as to drastically cut all high potassium foods out. After a few days I started feeling a little better. I had a follow up blood test, potassium level back to normal.

Approx 3 weeks later, the palpitations were back, didn’t feel light headed, dizzy etc this time tho, I had another ECG and another blood test, again all ok, Doc said heart rate at 88bpm was a little fast, so she prescribed me beta blockers – (propranolol) to take when needed, i.e if I had any more palpitations. A few days later the crappy feelings were back, light headed, dizziness, feeling faint, tight chest etc, etc.

Some days were better than others, I could manage most days with a few minutes of mild symptoms. Then I started to feel worse and worse as the days went on. Have had a few more visits to the Doc’s they check the usual stuff, heart rate, blood pressure etc. The new doc said 88bpm was normal and nothing to worry about, well within normal limits. I should add at this point that the word anxiety was used a couple of times.

The past 3 months have been hard, not knowing what has been wrong with me, feeling at times if I would pass out, or actually die, wondering if I have some disease, or illness, not knowing if I would have a heart attack. Some bleak times thinking of leaving my kids, my hubby, my mum and everyone. I found a website all about ‘Panic/anxiety Disorders’ it lists pretty much every symptom, thoughts and feelings I have had over the last 3 months. Back to the GP to find out whether this could be what I have, then maybe I will get some help.

Finally diagnosed with GAD and prescribed 10mg citalopram, I was a bit wary of the side effects at first, but after reading others experiences on here, and experiencing some of the effects anyway, I thought what have I got to lose. I have only been on them for 16 days but so far so good, a few side effects, yawning and stuff like that. Most importantly I am starting to feel like me again, I do still get some physical effects of anxiety now and then, but because I now know what i'm dealing with it's easier to cope with.

I will be interested to read how other people's anxiety started and how they cope with them.

BasilCat
01-06-09, 16:17
Hi Cheryl, I have had 4 breakdowns in 30 years, the first one when I was 19 years old. The last one began 3 years ago and I am just getting over it now!! The there were 2 in between these times too! I have had agoraphobia/anxiety and panic and 10001 symptoms you could never dream of, unless you had had anxiety of course. The first time I had a breakdown I ended up with agoraphobia and panic and did not leave the house for a year. I was at a disco when everything went really dizzy and I knew I had to get home quick. It was to do with not being happy at work.

The second one came 8 or 9 years later and was the result of ongoing depression brought on because my friend was getting married and I had no-one else to go out with. I had anxiety/hyperventilation at that time and a Psychologist got me better in 6 months!

The 3rd time I was on honeymoon! I was in Barbados waiting for the plane home when I had the breakdown and I ended up being pumped full of valium in the airport medical centre just as our plane was taking off and heading back to the UK!! I got over this breakdown the quickest of them all and was fine in 4 or 5 months. It was because of my past and was a warning from my subconscious that I would find it really hard living with a man. More complicated than that but that was the gist of it.

And finally, 3 years ago I had a breakdown that began with me having anxiety attacks in the car whilst driving and as a passenger too. It took me the best part of a year to get over the anxiety, then I had a relapse and its taken me the best part of two years to get over it!! This happened, the breakdown I mean, because I had some major realisations about my past that hit me over the head like a sledge hammer would!!

I have felt dizzy, lightheaded, giddy, sick, hot, shaking, jelly legs, Unreal, loss of balance, and more besides. I know how you feel. I wish I didnt as its been the worst thing thats happened to me but I am now 95% cured and am not getting too excited - just taking it carefully, one day at a time. I got over it this time by doing as much as I could no matter how I felt. It has been jolly hard work and depressing because we all want to be normal NOW, not in one, two or three years. I have been to the shops, the doctors, school meetings, to cafes for a cuppa, even swimming. Anything really. I have been really terrified but little by little things do improve.

Best Wishes.
Shirley

cheryl72
01-06-09, 20:19
Hi Shirley

Thank you for your reply. I am so glad you are starting to feel better, I know what you mean about doing as much as you can even tho you may not feel like it. If I feel symptoms coming on I make myself busy, it works for me.

It sounds silly and I wouldn't wish anxiety on anyone, but it is so comforting hearing other people's stories, it lets us all know we are not alone.

Best wishes

Cheryl x