PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and anxiety.

SUZY Q
31-05-09, 11:59
Hi, Ive been on cipralex for nearly 9 weeks. I was really starting to feel great. I had a couple of glasses of wine last friday for the first time in about 3 months. I felt fine next day. Sunday had a BBQ ended up having about 5 glasses of wine. Bit of hangover next day but not too bad. Then my brother stayed tuesday evening havent seen him for ages before i knew it i had drank a bottle and a half. Felt awful next day hangover, anxiety through the roof. Then thursday we had friends over for a BBQ and because my anxiety was still up and down i drank 4 glasses of wine to relax. Since then my anxiety has been quite bad. Im fine one minute then the next worrying and anxious about everything again. Last few days ive woken up with the awful anxious and dread feeling again. I had just got rid of all those feelings. The things is i wouldnt normally of drunk that much in a week anyway. I have read that this sort of thing can happen after drinking. Has any one else felt like this after drinking. I know that i will not drink that amount in a week again. The way i feel at the moment i would rather not drink any alcohol again. I feel so cross and upset with myself. :weep:

Liverbird67
31-05-09, 16:04
Hiya Suzy

I have noticed that if I have a drink the next day my anxiety is through the roof I have notiiced it when I have been drinking spirts ie vodka and diet coke, the combination of the alcohol and the stimulants in the coke do not treat me very well the next day I can be quite panicky and anxious again and negative thoughts are increased. I also noticed this when drinking wine ( the spritzers and the rose seem to flow down my neck quite nicely and before I notice I have drank quite a large amount) however I have stopped drinking these and have limited myself to a couple of lager shandies I don't enjoy lager as much as wine and can easily limit myself to two this does not seem to affect me the next day
I have also noticed that alcohol can have quite a dramatic effect depending on the time of the month.

i have learnt that alcohol and anxiety do not mix and to sound all self righteous we are not supposed to take alcohol with anti-depressants anyway.

In the hot weather me and the kid shes 12 have been having cocktails in the garden ( ie moscow mules without the kick, sex on the beach without the sex, we have found a cocktail menu and are working our way through it is good fun and its amazing what you can drink juice wise.

Hope this helps

Debbie
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

SUZY Q
31-05-09, 19:38
Hi Debbie, thanks for your post. It has helped. I could just kick myself for drinking to much this week. Definately wont do it again. Have learnt a huge lesson. Thanks again. :)

nataliean1982
31-05-09, 20:23
there is a similar post from somebody else right now. and yes, my symtoms are ten fold when combined with a hangover. my physical symptoms frighten me even more and i have alot of wierd thoughts that i over-anylize. i drink much less now, also, be careful not to combine alcohol with caffeine or energy drinks because it makes it even worse, and will also cause you to not be able to sleep it off.

Hereford Al
01-06-09, 01:40
I find that I am OK on Citalopram with a couple of pints here and there. I went overboard once a few weeks back during a BBQ and drank far too much and really paid for it over the next couple of days, so I won't be doing that again!

In moderation, I think alcohol is fine, but knowing your limits is the only real way to find out what sort of consumption affects you. Just take it steady and don't get plastered.

xfilme
01-06-09, 03:06
alcohol blocks your absorption of vitamin b... causing anxiety symptoms if your iron levels are low.

SUZY Q
01-06-09, 15:29
Thanks for all of your posts. Today i have been feeling alot better again thank goodness. You live and learn. :D