PDA

View Full Version : Some Queries about propanolol...Pls Pls Pls Help.

zaffordbeeblebox
31-05-09, 12:41
Hi all,
I,d been advised propanolol for for anxiety.I was prescribed 80 mg slow release each day but I was feeling very anxious to try them so I wnet to my GP again and got a presciption for a lower dose (10 mg)..I have not yet tried any of those drugs and they,re both (80 mg n 10 mg) sitting in my drawer now.:unsure:
I have never taken any sort of medication before and I have never let anxiety come in my way for doing any task i need to do.Sometimes I feel that I dont need medication at all but I would feel more confident and comfortable with some help (medication)...i,m sure..

I would really appreciate if you could help me with the following queries:

(1) Can I take the medication only in certain situations...ie: not regular but only when i feel i might be facing an anxiety triggiring situation like flying,driving in traffic,giving presentations? would 10 mg be enough for that?

(2) A lotta side effects are mentioned..like feeling faint..do they really happen?

(3)If i,m going out for a drink I never have anxiety...can I skip my medication on that day..? in case it reacts with alcohol..does it react with alcohol?

(4)I excersise regularly and pretty heavily...will I be able to excersice normally?

(5) Does propanonol make you put on weight? (I would hate being fat)..

I would really appreciate if somebody could pls pls pls pls help me with this..being extremely anxious about taking medication is a part of the anxiety i guess..some reconfirmation would really really help..:yahoo:
Thank you all ...:D

pollyanna
31-05-09, 14:42
Hi

I might be able to answer some of your questions but not all, but i can give you my experience......

i too was prescribed propranolol, after suffering horrible paplatations for some time and was even refered to a cardioligist, he recomended that these would help my symptoms, i was afraid to take them for the best part of a year, until i could not stand the symptoms any longer, my Gp had prescribed like you the slow release ones, but i just coudnt bring myself to take them, i went back, and got 40mg that i could take up to 3 times a day if i needed to, i felt for me this was a much better idea, i felt more in control of what i was taking, knowing that the effects would wear off after a relatively short period of time and i could choose whether to take another, ....... im so glad i did because they really help me, they dont make me feel totally calm or have no symptoms, i still get palpatations, but not nearly as much, and it takes the edge off the symptoms.

At first i took them a lot, but now i take them whenever i need them, especially in high anxiety situations, whether 10mg is going to be enough for you i dont know, if your anxiety is pretty bad i would think you would need a bit more than the 10mg, but why dont you try 10mg and review how you feel, nothing is set in stone, you can change things around to suit your needs.
As for side effects, at first i felt a little more tired, but not in a sedated way, perhaps i was just feeling more relaxed, who knows... i have never felt faint with them, although i have done with my anti depressants, but only if i get up quickly for example.

I dont know if you are really meant to drink while taking them, i know people who do, but i dont drink that much or that often but i choose not to take my propranolol at that time, maybe some one else can help with this one.

i think it is safe to exercise, but i dont know about anything heavy duty, maybe someone else or your Gp can help out with that one

And as far as i am aware propranolol does not make you put on weight.

i think like with all medications you may initially experience a few side effects if any and if you do they should lessen over time.

i have been using propranolol probably for the best part of 15 years now, i have GAD, depression, and health anxiety, and i really dont like taking pills if i can help it, i only take if i really need to, but sometimes you really need to, it makes life a bit more bearable, believe me i know where you are coming from, i think you might benefit from them, but only you can decide that.
I hope things improve for you, let me know how you get on, be brave, if you think it will help go for it

Best wishes

P x :flowers:

zaffordbeeblebox
31-05-09, 23:12
Hi Polyanna,

Thank you very much for your feedback.I really appreciate it.

I did try the Propnonol 10 mg today and all i felt was a little dizzy (very slightly) and nothing more.I sometimes do have sweaty palms for no apparent reason and i,m not not anxious at that times either..i had expected that symtom (swaety palms) to dissapear but it did,nt..in fact nothing happend after taking propanonol...other then (psycologically feeling a little uneasy waiting & not being sure of what might next).

Now the medicine has worn off completely and I,m feeling much better .In fact i feel much better normally than when i had the medication.I,m not sure now weather i want to continue with the mediaction anymore.But i definately do need some medication for my anxiety in stressfull situations like flying,driving in traffic,travelling to a new city ..alone..and stuff..
i was considering trying "kalms"...i hope that works..have u tried kalms??

thank you for yr help once again..

lisa chandler
31-05-09, 23:23
i was getting palpitations really bad everyday why i was on propanolol must have had about 2 i thought they was really good i was gettin dizzy quite alot tho