PDA

View Full Version : fear of going to the gym

damopanther
01-06-09, 21:22
hi, i have just started doing exercise again to try and help my anxiety, but im terriftackief of going in case i have a heart attack, i also watch my heart rate continous at the gym and if it goes slighty higher i panic, and sometimes go into a panic attack, im hoping if i keep going these fears will decrease, wandering if anyone else feels this, any help or advice is welcome, take care,damo

nataliean1982
01-06-09, 21:48
maybe you would feel more comfortable if a friend or family member went with you. they could show you that thier heart rate goes up too, and then you would know that it was normal. or why dont you do some work-outs at home first, till you get your strength and endurance built up a little, then you might feel better about working out in public.

GAD
01-06-09, 21:56
I get this too - i would love to go and feel comfortable but i always constatly stop and check my heart rate. most machines now have the heart monitor and that just makes it worse for me! sorry i cant help but i do feel the same fear!
gad

damopanther
01-06-09, 21:56
thanks for the reply, i used to train a lot and also played football a lot, but now ive had this health anxiety for the last 2 years, and its totally changed my outlook, need to get back to the old me me thinks, many thanks and take care, damo

damopanther
01-06-09, 22:44
meant terrified sorry lol