PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Out

Angela0872
03-06-09, 12:33
Hi everyone

My name is Angela and I have been having panic attack symtoms for about 3 weeks now. I haven't yet pinpointed what has caused this.....maybe just stress from working too much!

Finally, I've found others going through what I believe I am going through! My GP claims that my breathing difficulties and palpitations are due to sprained ribs for which I have been getting physio for and have been advised that all is well with my ribs now, however, my symptoms still exist. My GP is putting my feelings of disconnection down to being over-tired. My headaches down to muscle tension in my shoulders. After searching for topics on the systems I am experiencing, I came across this website.

I very much feel that all my systems are panic/anxiety attacks. I've had ECG's done, I've been into the emergency department 5 times in the last 3 weeks only to be told there is nothing wrong, go home and sleep it off! Only problem is, every time I lie down to go to sleep, guess what happens!

I really don't know what to do or where to turn to. It seems that panic attacks are not recognised here in New Zealand as something real.

duskess
03-06-09, 18:15
Hello Angela , Welcome to NMP , lots of help advice and understanding here , look in the NMP shop for a free download of Claire weekes self help , and have a look around the forum for members experiences and advice , glad you found the site , take care :welcome: d x

Angela0872
05-06-09, 23:41
After some persistence I have found a GP here in NZ who has confirmed that my symptoms are those related to panic attacks (the GP is from the UK and is obviously more familiar with this than our NZ GP's who don't seem to recognise panic attacks. This new GP has sent me for blood tests along with other tests to confirm that there is nothing medically wrong and hopefully I will have the results early next week. I think that once I get my results and confirmation that there is nothing medically wrong I will be able to deal with the panic. At the moment, when the heart palpitations start and I get the sharp shooting pains through my chest, I immediately think I am having a heart attack...this makes me worse.

I find my symptoms worsen when driving or when I go to bed at night and i guess this is quite likely because I am not busy thinking about other things. I have seen others comment that the symptoms increase when you think about them so I am making an effort to keep myself busy with other things to take my mind off it...this seems to help immensly.

The GP thinks that the panic attacks have been caused by anxiety and stress and that I am extremely burntout from doing far too much...I would have to agree with that, however, my keeping busy eases the symptoms. I guess I need to find things that keep me busy but without the stress levels that I have subjected myself to over the last few years.

Must go get busy...I feel my breathing starting to get heavy.

Take care all