PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelmed

Chatte
02-09-05, 02:05
Well..I constantly think Im dying or have a serious diesase. I notice every little single ache and pain. A different part of my body after the other. I am constantly trying to breath more than I should and yawn all the time. Some times I have chest pain and I freak out, and think I am having a heart attack but if i was i would have had like 100 heart attacks by now. I think I have cancer from headaches and well every other ache. I am always looking up symptoms and am sure I have them. Its rediculous. But I am fine when I am distracted. The chest pains just really scare me and I feel like I cant do anything normal because I am always so tense and sometimes scared to move, because I afaid what pain I will have next.

What should I do....?

Karen
02-09-05, 02:15
Hi Chatte

Welcome to the forum. If you have a read of other posts on the forum you will see you are definitely not alone in these fears. It is good though that you recognise that you are fine when distracted and you can keep reminding yourself of this whenever you start to worry that the symptoms are serious.

Have a read of the article about Health Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=healthanxiety) on the home pages, as well as the First Steps (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=firststeps) advice.

Have you had any help like therapy for this?

Whenever you feel these symptoms remind yourself that you have had them before and the chest pain, for example, hasn't turned out to be a heart attack but another symptom of anxiety. Try writing the worry down and then coming up with as many other more likely, and probably more realistic, explanations than the most dangerous, catastrophising one you immediately think of.

There are many members here who share your fears and I'm sure you will get a lot of support.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

eeyorelover
02-09-05, 02:44
hi Chatte and welcome -
I have kept a journal for a while now and it seems to help bring me back when I am thinking that either a symptom is really worse than before or that I won't make it through. Being able to look back and see that I have made it through it before and I can do it again and that I've had the same symptoms before really has helped me. I also think that it helps me to work through what I am thinking about cuz my mind kind of goes all over the place when I am in the middle of panic. It really helps to calm me.
your friend,

Sandy
(eeyorelover)

helen__w
02-09-05, 03:25
Hi Chatte

I can sympathise with you I am so similar! I started out with a problem swallowing and as that is slowly getting better I have now developed a fear that I am about to have a heart attack as I too have chest pain and I am constantly check my pulse and blow in the mirror to watch it steam up to check I'm breathing! Night time is worse cos its quieter so I know its the anxiety but it doesnt always help when you are experiencing it I know. I have just started CBT therapy and it has already had some impact so I am confident that I WILL defeat these irrational thoughts!

You will find plenty of support on here from people who understand.

Take care

Helen x

trac67
02-09-05, 09:59
Hi Chatte,
When i read your post it could have been me writing that last year, everything you say was what i would have written. I did a CBT course in health anxiety and it really turned my way of thinking around, and now when i get a headache, thats all it is. a plain and simple headache, no more brain tumours, or thinking i am about to drop dead.
Have you tried looking into a course for health anxieties, they really do work
Take care
Trac

its "just a thought"

Maddieg
02-09-05, 18:08
Hi Chatte,

Welcome to the forum. I am the same as you i was writing the same kind of things last week. I'm really "body aware" the slightest thing makes me panic and think something terrible is happening to me.

I am having hypnotherapy, EFT and i'm now on Citralopram.

I agree with you Sandy, I've started keeping a journal and i can see a difference from last weeks entries.

Keep reading the posts on here and you will know that you are not alone.

Take care

MaddieG xx

mandie
02-09-05, 21:24
Hi Chatte

I could of written your post myself too! It is exactly how I am.

However I realised enough was enough, I threw away my medical books, stopped looking up symtoms on the net and saw my gp. I am now on Cipramil for my anxiety and am getting slowly better.

Off course I still have my bad days. I had chest discomfort yesterday and panicked which made it worse. I had a chat with myself and realised it was probably wind, i had just eaten quite a big meal and then straight away went for a long walk. There is always a reason as to why I have these pains etc. I just try and relax and they usually go away. Easier said than do though isnt it!
x

mandie
02-09-05, 21:25
Hi Chatte

I could of written your post myself too! It is exactly how I am.

However I realised enough was enough, I threw away my medical books, stopped looking up symtoms on the net and saw my gp. I am now on Cipramil for my anxiety and am getting slowly better.

Off course I still have my bad days. I had chest discomfort yesterday and panicked which made it worse. I had a chat with myself and realised it was probably wind, i had just eaten quite a big meal and then straight away went for a long walk. There is always a reason as to why I have these pains etc. I just try and relax and they usually go away. Easier said than do though isnt it!
x

joross
02-09-05, 21:59
I am experiencing exactly the same as you. I manage to control my panic through the day although I do feel nervous. But at night the feeling of panic seems to overwhelm me and I end up having an attack - racing heart, shaking, yawning more, breathing faster and I start thinking theres got to be more to it than just panic but by the morning I'm feeling better so I realise then it must have been just panic. Its so terrifying My gp recommends I start on prozac but I'm too scared of the side effects. I have read on the internet about amoryn which is 100% natural and has fewer side effects and a good success rate. Wonder if anyone has tried them or knows more about them???

J Ross

lynette
02-09-05, 23:19
hi chatte,
im new today aswell and when i read your topic i thought it was me. in a way its good to know im not the only one who has these health issues.
from lynette

l grimstead

Chatte
03-09-05, 03:56
Wow. It feels wonderful to know I am not alone. Thank you guys very much. Today was really good. Nothing bothered me and I tried to keep my thoughts off of my body.

Meg
03-09-05, 10:35
Thats good then Chatte, that you had a great day..

Keep that in mind today and hope you have another good day

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
03-09-05, 10:51
Glad you had a good day Chatte. Well done for managing to focus your attention away from your body.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.