PDA

View Full Version : Whats your break from anxiety?

ITGuy101
04-06-09, 12:11
I’ve suffered with a combination of General Anxiety and Health Anxiety (due to my disbelief in the reasons for my GA symptom) and have combined to create a slight Social Anxiety, in the case of me becoming unwell when surrounded by strangers or when entirely on my own in a deserted place.

However, there’s few occasions where all my anxiety fades, where i feel normal, relaxed and therefore content in myself:

The shower
Whenever I’m feeling anxious, a warm shower always takes the edge off - but for a short while. Whether it’s the warm water, the massaging sensation or a combination of both. I find myself taking 3 or 4 showers a day for this reason only, with the additional benefit of being extra sparkly clean ;)

On Holiday
My greatest fear I have currently is going away (which I am in 3 weeks to Jamaica) and one my symptoms revealing itself not to be anxiety but some medical problem that I will need emergency treatment for whilst abroad.
I broke down on several occasions building up to last year’s holiday, during the flight and on many occasions whilst on my stay. I’ve travelled by air several times before my "diagnosis" with no fear at all - the fear now being, again, if something happens to me whilst flying, what’s going to happen?

Anyway, during the holiday I spend a lot of time in the sea (amazing blue green water on a beautiful beach in the Dom Rep). When I say a lot of time, I mean a lot of time. I was in there whenever I could be and it felt great. A hour after I’m out, back it comes.

Deep Concentration
In currently finishing my final year (1 exam remaining) at uni doing a BSc(Hons) in software engineering. Whilst I’ve found the work to be relatively easy, the extra pressure of the workload, aim on achieving a 1st class degree (for myself and to prevent friend and family disappointment) and also working for a year fulltime whilst studying all had a major affect on my mental health in combination with more personal matters surrounding me at that time. My final year project was quite intense and significantly larger and complex than most. I wanted to challenge myself by proposing my own project that would achieve a high mark. In between deep concentration in work, I felt awful and never thought I would be able to finish it, but I did. The point being, whilst in deep concentration - an at time enjoyment, my worries faded slightly.

Intimacy
Enough said.

So, that’s it for me. What does it for you?

melody
04-06-09, 14:13
Similar things. My loved one. My dog. My art. Writing poems. Looking at how beautiful nature & the ocean is in its ever changing flow.

Absorbtion in any project is inspirational & freedom. I love creativity. I love hearing positive people carry on about their views about life. I love going to dance class & forgetting everything & being in the moment & dancing. I love being anywhere if I get to dance. I wish I had a friend who would like to go dancing with me. That would be the best thing ever, someone who didn't mind that I'm flamboyant when I am able to let go & didn't tell me what I should or shouldn't do. That's the dream... I love the freedom of self expression. Then I know I am alive!!!

becky000
05-06-09, 17:01
Being there for my children when they really need me. In fact being there for anyone who really needs me - it takes my mind off myself and my problems.

sunndyd
05-06-09, 17:08
i have no idea i find i cant concentrate very well at the moment doh!

Oceanblue
05-06-09, 17:18
Similar things. My loved one. My dog. My art. Writing poems. Looking at how beautiful nature & the ocean is in its ever changing flow.

Absorbtion in any project is inspirational & freedom. I love creativity. I love hearing positive people carry on about their views about life. I love going to dance class & forgetting everything & being in the moment & dancing. I love being anywhere if I get to dance. I wish I had a friend who would like to go dancing with me. That would be the best thing ever, someone who didn't mind that I'm flamboyant when I am able to let go & didn't tell me what I should or shouldn't do. That's the dream... I love the freedom of self expression. Then I know I am alive!!!

Wow Melody - I could have written this myself :). I remember briefly having a chat with you in the chatroom a month or so ago,.. we seemed alike.

It's ashame you live all the way in Oz. I think we'd get on well.

NoPoet
05-06-09, 17:33
This is a good idea for a thread. I notice there are things I do or places I go that chill me out.

When my anxiety first became a problem in March this year, I felt better whenever I was at my friend's house, especially in the evenings, especially on Friday evenings when we would order a curry and watch Father Ted :D

To this day the theme tune to Father Ted instantly makes me feel better!

I tend to find my worries disappear in the evenings as it gets closer to bed time. I usually end up sitting round the telly with my family watching comedies or films. It is a good stress buster.

severina
05-06-09, 19:08
Knitting ! the constant repetetive movements that i don't have to think about are so soothing.

lonely
05-06-09, 19:32
gardening

NoPoet
05-06-09, 21:21
Knitting ! the constant repetetive movements that i don't have to think about are so soothing.
Can you do me a jumper with a picture of my car? It's my best mate's girlfriend's birthday soon.

magpie girl
05-06-09, 21:31
i can relax around water i find it comforts me,and for some strange reason my brothers house!!!!! he usually loves it cos im a clean freak and he asks if i will be feeling anxious any time soon lol

freudian nightmare
05-06-09, 21:47
i relax while in the countryside i love nature and feel so calm when i'm amongst it, i also do puzzlers which help me to switch off and relax.

happyone
05-06-09, 21:58
Rural locations
The sound of the sea
Painting
Lying down and seting the timer on my mobile for 20 minutes. Then taking that time entirely for me.

Happyone
xx

drummermike
05-06-09, 22:11
Drumming, kissing lol ........ cranking music, singing, cooking on the grill, the scent of a woman I care about ...... designing on the computer ... but I'm still always woozy ......... nothing stops that ...... ;)

xBettyBoopx
05-06-09, 22:38
When I'm asleep

sandy35
05-06-09, 23:27
I can relate to you when you say that water calms you down as i find going swimming very theraputic. Also the shower afterwards is very relaxing. I have a voluntary job has taken my mind off my anxiety and also chatting to my partner and friends and cuddles with my lovely cat smudgie.

avexhype
06-06-09, 01:04
dont think about anything. its NOT impossible like people say it is.