PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram no side effects-so is it working?

Bluebelle
04-06-09, 19:12
I was wondering if anyone else had no side effects. I am on week 5 into week 6 of 20mg of citalopram. I have had no side effects whatsoever-nothing. I am still crying non-stop and deep in depression. My GAD, HA and SA had calmed down prior to starting this drug. I was driving and going places by myself after 10 years of being unable to do so. This is progressing but it was not helped by medicaton as I was achieving this prior to starting.

The reason I opted for medication is because I thought if I was able to participate in life again my anxiety driven depression would lift. I was wrong and even though I was going out on my own I was still engulfed in tears constantly.

I realize this is sort like my HA coming back - but seriously if I haven't experienced any side effects does this mean I'm not absorbing the medication? I have never missed a dose and I take it the same time every night as directed. My GP just upped my dose to 30 mg starting today as she feels this would reduce the crying.

Has anyone else experienced no side effects? Is it working if there are no side effects?

kath135
04-06-09, 23:44
Hi bluebelle
I've been on citalopram for 7 days and all considering i've been ok too. My doctor said that nothing serious would happen at all so i havent worried about it too much and i've been fine. I have had a couple of moments but I have them anyway so I cant blame the meds for that. I do feel very tired but thats not a side effect to panic about. I had these meds 5 years ago without knowing what they where and had no side effects at all. I've met two people this week on citalopram who both had no idea about the side effects and neither of them had any. So i'm thinking positive. I'm sure its working for you too.

NoPoet
05-06-09, 00:03
I'm slightly confused -- are you saying that the depression has become made worse since you started on citalopram? This medication is known to temporarily increase feelings of depression and anxiety.

Not everyone who takes citalopram will suffer side effects. This does not mean the citalopram won't work for you if you don't get side effects. I would have given a prize part of my anatomy not to experience the side-effects I did.

I did not see consistent benefits from my medication for many weeks (despite suffering with bad side effects from day one) and it is only now, as I start my eleventh week, that I am consistently feeling like my old self.

I strongly recommend you try taking inositol alongside your citalopram. It is a vitamin which is available from Holland & Barrett. Inositol has made a massive difference to my anxiety and depression and it begins working within a couple of days of starting it. I believe the inositol has helped me more than the citalopram and there are no side effects other than an increased feeling of tiredness when you first start taking it. If I had started taking inositol a few months ago, I don't know if I would have needed to take citalopram at all.

I still experience anxiety and depression as I have not resolved all of the problems that cause them. Citalopram cannot and never will be a cure for your problems. All it will do is help you manage your negative feelings while you begin the recovery process yourself, which can be very hard work with a number of "blips" which feel like you are sliding back into depression. The road to recover is very long.

Bluebelle
05-06-09, 22:42
Thank you for the replies
PsychoPoet- I will be looking into the inositol -I am interested in anything to stop the crying fits.
Take Care
Bluebelle