PDA

View Full Version : panic attacks

kathy1
04-06-09, 22:33
Hello everyone,

My name is Kathy and I live in Toronto, Canada

I am so glad that I found this forum. I just started experiencing panic attacks 2 months ago and it has really become intense in the last three weeks. It makes me feel better that I am not alone in this. Today I thought I was doing a lot better and then I started to get obsessive thoughts about my breathing. I thought I was going crazy, but read a thread here that told me that others have experienced the same thing.

I hope to get support and encouragement so I can get through this.

Kathy

martlou
04-06-09, 22:39
Hi Kathy, you are definitely not alone! I'm so glad I found this forum!

I have family in Ontario... such a beautiful place to live you are very lucky! :)

gemma.l
05-06-09, 00:30
Hi Kathy :)
It makes things worse when you think about your breathing. I'm exactly the same. Its been good to talk to people on here. Especially ones with more experience than me...

Are you trying anything to stop the panic attacks?
I am having counselling once a week. I always feel positive after it.
x

Tommy Worrier
05-06-09, 01:20
hey!?
I've just came off some drugs which really didnt help me, is councelling really worth do you think?
Ive been very negative about starting and unsure to say the least!?

Louise21
05-06-09, 09:05
Hi Kathy & welcome.
So sorry to hear you're having panic attacks. Are you on any medication to help them? I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder/depression and had not had full blown panic attacks until a couple of months ago when I was prescribed a very low dose of Prozac, in addition to Pregabalin (for GAD), Zopiclone (7.5 mg) and 2mg of Diazepam when things were really bad, so I can understand how you feel as they're really scary, but they do pass, fortunately! I stopped the Prozac as it made me worse.
I'm sure you will get help and advice on this site.
x

duskess
05-06-09, 15:03
Hello Kathy , :welcome: to NMP , take care d x :flowers:

Kally
05-06-09, 15:13
Hello and Welcome Cathy...

About the breathing; That was my biggest fear at the beginning, that I couldn't breathe and I would die from asphyxia! It's not going to happen of course but you know what I found that really really helps: Breathing in a paper bag. It's simple but it does help as it makes you concentrate on the fact that you CAN breathe and second, it helps with the panic attack itself as you inhale more carbon monoxide... I'm not really sure about the mechanics of the whole thing, I only know that it will help when you feel that you cannot breathe, that the air is not enough...

Take care and do not despair :)

K.

sunndyd
05-06-09, 16:02
Hi Kathy & welcome.
So sorry to hear you're having panic attacks. Are you on any medication to help them? I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder/depression and had not had full blown panic attacks until a couple of months ago when I was prescribed a very low dose of Prozac, in addition to Pregabalin (for GAD), Zopiclone (7.5 mg) and 2mg of Diazepam when things were really bad, so I can understand how you feel as they're really scary, but they do pass, fortunately! I stopped the Prozac as it made me worse.
I'm sure you will get help and advice on this site.
x

the dr gave me prozac as an option between propranol and diazepam i have been on the prozac/fluoxetine before i thought it help but he said the fluox could increase my anxiety so i said dont tell me that , i'll have the diazepam please as was on the propranol when i saw him lol

lorac
05-06-09, 17:12
Hi

Welcome to the site you have come to a good place to find advice and support.

Take care

Carol