PDA

View Full Version : Self CBT

mico
02-09-05, 14:12
Can it be done?

How do you go about it?

First question. CBT, from what I understand can go into some deep seated psychological issues from your past. I'm guessing that is best achieved by a therapist and not something for self therapy.

However, the more practical side of CBT, the planning for recovery and so forth is very appealling to me at the moment which I'm very keen to learn, but how much exactly does this cross over with freudian type philosophy if at all?

Secondly I'm looking for information on CBT and if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be extremely grateful, whether it be in the form of books, CD's, software, websites, or written on a piece of toilet paper.

I'm looking on Amazon.co.uk for books at the moment and I never realised that there was CBT available for such a wide range of dissorders, seemingly every dissorder but that of the anxiety kind :D So, I could see this being a difficult task to find something useful in the immense range of material available.

I'm sure there's some of you that have come across some useful stuff on the subject.

Help me out guys.

mico

Meg
02-09-05, 14:21
**it's just I seem to have a natural reluctance to follow any kind of structure either in my thinking habits, or in my life**

I can understand that - as its just how you are right now. Maybe devote just what you feel you can initially- 1 hour / day and build up as it gets more acceptable.

*from what I understand can go into some deep seated psychological issues from your past*

Most CBT for anxiety is dealing with the here and now issues although initially it may be necessary to do a dig to see what if the real root cause is not what it initially appears to be..

I'd start with 2 books that I used .. Both on our reading page .

1. What to say.... Shad Helmsletter. Quick read - couple of hours.
2 Feeling Good - David Burns- particularly chapter 3 - big read
3. Mantra and positive affirmations - no particular recomendation

Piglet has some great positive affirmation suggestions though.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

mico
02-09-05, 14:34
Thanks Meg

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

dizzydruid
02-09-05, 14:36
Hi,
I went to a CBt therapist a few years ago and he recommended
mind over mood
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=BOOK&title=356659&p=91&g=148&pa=sr

He mainly seemed to use all the exercises and techniques in this book and I used it to do homework. It is very good and the exercises are quite simple though it takes a little while before you realise it is actually helping to change your views.
My CBT didnt really delve deep into my past or anything though we did sort of skim over it to find out if any particular issues where accefting the way I think but mainly it consisted of changing the way I thought about things in the here and now.
Anyway hope this helps, I cant say what techniques all CBT therapist use but certainly the two I have seen here in Norwich use all the techniques in this book :)

lucy x

trac67
02-09-05, 15:00
Hi Hun,
I will photo copy all the stuff i got given when i had my CBT and pass it on to you if you want, i still find it helpful to look back on even now. I will talk to you later about it if you want or e mail me ok.
Take care
Trac xx

its "just a thought"

Meg
02-09-05, 15:01
Mico ,

Also Mood Gym - a free online CBT course. Oz Govt sponsored as not enough CBT bods out there. We've not had great reviews here but Prof Gornay rates it

Also ' living life to the full' online free CBT form Glasgow

I don't think I could have done CBT with someone who was very picky.

I found yoga bad enough for discipline as I insisted on doing my own version of the postures and got told off a lot and it was worse as I got better.

When I was acute I wouldn't have crossed anyone who was trying to help but as I found my bounce again, I also found my stubborn streak and if I didn't want to do something usually out of sheer laziness - I didn't.

Think sessioned CBT might have been the same.

Meg

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.

mico
02-09-05, 15:15
Thanks for all the useful replies so far guys, I'll have look into all that.

Meg

I've looked into Mood Gym before, in fact I was one of the ones not giving it great reviews, I don't know who Prof Gornay is but I wouldn't be surprised if he had any kind of affiliation with them.

Or maybe it's just my disinterest/inability to take in online information, especially when it's presented in the most boring fashion :D.

mico

'Security is mostly superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding Danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.'

Meg
02-09-05, 15:39
**Professor Kevin Gournay, CBE(Print)
Professor Kevin Gournay, Professor of Psychiatric Nursing at the Institute of Psychiatry, was awarded the CBE for services to Psychiatric Nursing, Research and Education.
Professor Gournay who has been at the Institute of Psychiatry, London since 1995, heads up the department with the highest psychiatric nursing research profile in the country. His experience in mental health spans more than 30 years and includes psychiatric nursing and psychology in a diversity of hospital, community and research settings. He is currently Chair of the Institute's Academic Board and of the Royal College of Nursing's Mental Health Nursing Forum as well as a member of the Government's reference group, which is developing a new framework for mental health services. He is also the author of approximately 200 journal articles, conference papers, books and book chapters and is a regular contributor to TV and radio programmes. In 1992 Professor Gournay was elected to a special membership category of the Royal College of Psychiatrists and in 1998 was elected as a Fellow of the Royal College of Nursing. **

Moodgym was boring wasn't it .. ok, maybe give the Glasgwegian version the once over and see if its any different.....

Meg

mico
02-09-05, 15:50
Well, I'm surprised at such an educated man's lack of judgement [^]

I'm tempted to look over it again and see what it is he's raving on about, but I still think it's boring.

I'll check out the Glasgwegian one though.

mico

Edit: The web address for the glasgwegian online CBT course:

http://www.livinglifetothefull.com/

I haven't looked into it yet though.

Piglet
02-09-05, 17:03
Hi Mico

We all know by now that I'm on the NOPANIC waiting list for cbt by telephone (yawn yawn) so I will let you know more about that as and when.

I've been quite into the positive affirmations this year and got the book Meg recomended by Shad Helmsletter which I found very interesting.

I have also bought quite a few little boxes of affirmation cards which both Jayne and Pips have got too - I'm not sure if you may find them a little corny though. I got wisdom cards by Louise L Hay (I do find some a bit daft but there are still plenty that seem to help me) and some called 'The four agreements' which I quite like too. I use them as bookmarks and when I pick the book up I repeat the affirmations.

If all this speaking to ourselves negatively has made our anxiety worse then it stands to reason that speaking postively should redress the balance.

I would also recommend Glenn Harrold cd's as they include some affirmation bits (I really like his stuff and again people who I've recommened them too have said the same).

If you discover any decent books on the whole cbt be sure to let me know.

Love Pig xx

PS - got everything off amazon (sometimes using the nearly new option)

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

mico
02-09-05, 17:56
Thanks Piglet

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
If all this speaking to ourselves negatively has made our anxiety worse then it stands to reason that speaking postively should redress the balance.
<div align="right">Originally posted by Piglet - 02 September 2005 : 17:03:54</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Exactly my philosophy!

I firmly believe that the affirmation cards are a good idea too. Much of where we go wrong is in forgetting to practice, and that's all it is, practice. And practice makes perfect. When you've got all these reminders dotted all around the house, in your car, at your desk at work, then it's going to be a help. It's just the bit where you have to explain them to everybody that I don't like.

I've used affirmations on and off (well, probably all the time to some extent even if not realising it) for years and they do help. Is there a page with Affirmations on on this site? There should be. Maybe a thread for them would be a good idea that everyone can add to, I may just do that if I can break through my incurable laziness and dig some up.

mico

Meg
02-09-05, 18:00
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/default.asp?t=cms&c=coping

Well volunteered Mico.. Thanks.

Then we can transfer them and add a new page under inspiration and motivation.

Meg

Piglet
03-09-05, 14:20
Ooh good idea - Mico do have a go and and i'll see if I can add some too.

Love Pig xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.