PDA

View Full Version : Fear of escalators

sandy35
05-06-09, 18:25
I have quite a few multiple phobias that i am attempting to tackle one by one eg lifts, escalators and trains. I have to go and volunteer for a local organisation tomorrow as they are at a stand in West Quay, Southampton. I have been informed that i have to go to the lower level floor and i believe the only way to get to the lower floor is by escalator. I am very frightened about using the escalator as i feel that i will have a panic attack as i find it very crowded. I also have a fear that i am going to fall over or fall down the escalator. Has any one got any advice on how to cope with this? Im even feeling anxious thinking about it now.

ElizabethJane
05-06-09, 22:17
Hi Sandy I know this fear very well. I used to be fearful of the wooden escalators but since these have been removed it is the height and depth that is a problem. There are two ways that I tackle this problem one is to look straight ahead and not up or down and have somebody go ahead that you know so that if you feel giddy you can let them know. You could also walk up the escalator that way you keep moving and the journey is over rather more quickly. If you feel giddy hold onto the rail the feeling will soon pass. I hope it goes well tomorrow. You wont fall. Best wishes Jane.

sandy35
05-06-09, 23:19
Thanks Elizabeth for your excellent advice I will make sure i put it into practice tomorrow. Ive just always been scared of them since i was a kid and ive always avoided using them throughout my adult life but don't think i have no choice tomorrow but to use them.

wiskersonkittens
05-06-09, 23:36
Sandy -- that is one of my bigger fears of the outside world. When I go to a mall, I ride in an elevator. I think years ago I almost slipped on an escalator and that spiraled me thinking it was worse than it was. I can't go down them, but I can go up. I was even in counseling for it and I remember my counselor took me to the mall and we stood in front of an escalator forever as I tried to get up the nerve. I have since then ridden down them a couple of times and I actually prefer people in front of me -- NOT behind me -- to catch me if I fall. I hold on to both sides when I step on for extra support. But, again, that's been awhile and I still don't ride down them normally. I feel your pain and I will be thinking of you. You will do fine -- it's just a matter of conquering our fears; and sometimes we are just forced into it. You are stronger than you think. And, who knows? Maybe after tomorrow, you won't be afraid anymore. Gosh, wouldn't that be wonderful? :) Let us know how it goes, ok? Hugs, Wiskers ~

sandy35
05-06-09, 23:47
Hi Wiskers Thanks for your support and glad to hear that you are trying to tackle your fear of escalators. I think i will also find it worse going down on the escalators then up. I am actually going to arrive at my destination an hour early tomorrow to psyche myself up and so will give me plenty of time and therefore will not be late if there is a problem with getting downstairs on the escalators. I hope now that i am strong enough to overcome this problem but i will let you know how it goes tomorrow. Hugs Sandy x

sunshine-lady
06-06-09, 00:20
I have a total phobia of esculars, the thought of them makes me panic. If i have to go on one I have to have my hubby in front of me and I have to hold his shoulders from behind and he talks to me. I also hate lifts, but for some strange reason I would rather take the lift than the esculator.

If you are going to work in a mall they will have to have provisions for disables people so they will have to have some other way to access the ground floor apart from the esculator.

Wishing you luck in your new job xxx

sandy35
06-06-09, 09:46
Thanks sunshine lady. I volunteer for hampshire autistic society on a ad hoc basis. Maybe they have got stairs but i don't know the place well enough but may ask someone when i get there. When i just briefly visited west quay all i could see were escalators and no stairs. You are right they have to make it accessible for people with disabilities who find it difficult to access the lift or the escalators.

wiskersonkittens
06-06-09, 11:43
You know, Sandy, I was thinking, and please know I don't mean any offense to this because you should always do what makes you comfortable . . but here is your chance to stare fear in its face and laugh at it, punch it out, give it a black eye! ha! You might feel better by finding stairs or an elevator (chances are, they are available like Sunshine Lady pointed out for those that can't do stairs -- like mothers with strollers) . .. but, do you think at some point you might have wished you gave it a try? I ask this because I have been here many o' times. I have regretted doing the simpler, more comfortable thing. And, although I tend to keep doing the simpler, more comfortable thing, I felt I had let myself down. I just didn't have it in me to prove to myself I could face my fear at the time; until the moment was over. I just don't want you to feel that way. I wish I had more opportunities to face my fears, and here is yours. My best to you, and I look forward to hearing how things go! I support you in whatever decision you make. :) Hugs, Wiskers ~

sandy35
06-06-09, 18:41
Hi ya i only just read your post wiskers. Just to let you know that i did go up and down the escalator a few times as i went to the wrong floor and then got lost lol! The stalls were actually on the same floor as what the entrance is. It just confused me when it said lower level floor. Anyway, i think i coped very well going up and down the escalators and just managed to take deep breaths as i was going up and down them and I held on to the rails. I think i have just took the first steps to conquering my fear of escalators. Many thanks for all your support as I feel that if i didn't have the support behind me then i would never have done it and might have chickened out today. Once again thank you for all your replies.

wiskersonkittens
07-06-09, 00:55
Yay, Sandy!!!!! I am so proud of you!!!! I knew you could do it! I can tell you feel a sense of relief and release; and I know you are proud of yourself. :) What a great day! Hugs, Wiskers~ :)

sandy35
07-06-09, 19:06
Thanks Wiskas. Yes i am so proud of myself and pleased to say that i went up and down the escalators yesterday for the first time in years. Hugs Sandy x

ElizabethJane
07-06-09, 19:56
Well done Sandy!

sunshine-lady
07-06-09, 23:03
Well done Sandy :yesyes: xxx

sandy35
08-06-09, 17:46
Thanks everyone x