PDA

View Full Version : Hi, yet another newbie

Hears The Water
05-01-04, 22:00
Hi y'all!
I found this site by doing a google search. I am hoping to find a place where I can talk to others that understand the way I think. I have had panic attacks, phobias for the last ten years, and general anxiety for almost all of my 35 years. I thought I would start out by telling a bit about myself. I live in MO in the USA, I am a homeschooling stay at home mom. I come from an abusive past and I think that this realy affects how I think today. (not wanting sympathy, just mentioning the things that have shaped who I am today). I am a Christian, but feel like my faith is weak sometimes. I have been married to my dh John for the last 11 years, and I have three children. Like I said, I homeschool, so I do have a pretty high stress life.
I have been to several therapists over the years and realy have not tried meds. Kinda hard to do when one of my phobias is medication. :D I am an herbalist for most things, and tend to try to stay as natural as I can with healing. I am pretty much just sick and tired of being this way, and I just wish it would all go away, but I know that it is not that easy. Right now we are straped financially so I am not seing any therapist, but I am thinking like it is time to try again. The last therapist I went to tried to tell me that I had Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and that I needed both bio-feedback and neuro-feedback. He also told me as I was leaving his office (I was kinda mad!!) that he did not want me to have a disassociative episode and wreck my car. Needless to say I have not been back to him. I still get very angry when I think of him. I am looking for a councelor that does CBT since I think that is where I will get the best help. Anyway, I don't want to go on and on. Just saying HI! I hope that I fit in here. Most of my other online as well as real life friends just do not understand how I think.
God bless you and yours
Hears The Water

Meg
05-01-04, 22:11
Hi Debie,

Welcome and hope you enjoy this site.

I hope you have agood hunt around and then so feel free to post if you have any questions.The search facility is good .

We agree - CBT is the most proven form of therapy for anxiety and panic.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

sarah
05-01-04, 22:30
Hiya Debie

Welcome to the site.
You say that none of your other friends know how you feel.....well you are definately in the right place here. We all suffer to one degree or another and ive found everyone here really friendly and good for advice and a laugh.
Good to see you here!

love Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
10-01-04, 15:43
Hi Debbie

Welcome to the site and I hope you can find some answers to your problems on here.

Let us know if you need any help atall.

Nicola