PDA

View Full Version : Besieged

Quiet-Lift
08-06-09, 12:01
Hi everyone

I'm going through a difficult time so please bear with me.

For the last three weeks or so my balcony (and that of my adjoining neighbours) has been taken over by a team of builders who are trying to fix a long-standing problem with poor drainage.

I have a flat in a block on a Housing Association Estate above a large supermarket.

Last week their supervisor asked if they could drill a hole through the floor in my kitchen to lower a probe in order to test for any stagnant water underneath. I said no to this at the time and thought nothing more of it.

This morning they have cut a hole in the floor of the hallway outside my front door in order to send someone down to crawl around under my flat and have a look.

With only a few hours sleep and the weight of depression over my head, I hastily got dressed, grabbed my bag and decided to get out of my flat.

The supervisor, outside my door, simply answered yes when I asked if all this activity was the result of my refusal to allow them access to my flat.

I have a mixture of anger, regret, and a great deal of worry about what I may find when I return home later. I can only hope that one of these cowboys doesn't cause any damage to electrical wiring, gas or water pipes whilst he is under there.

This whole business is one big nightmare for me. I feel as though I'm under siege and this is having catastrophic effects on my mental well-being. I'm not sure if these builders really know what they are doing. If i wasn't so closely involved i might find the whole business funny.

I've come along to the Day Centre I belong to for refuge. Just to get myself out of the situation.

Consequences. Sometimes you just don't know what the outcome can be. Should I feel guilty because my refusal has made more work for them?

Apologies for this long and boringly detailed account of something which is probably minor compared to the kinds of crises which everyone seems to go through on a daily basis.

Any reassurance? Thanks for reading.

suzy-sue
08-06-09, 12:25
I sympathise with you.When you are feeling depressed and unwell ,the last thing you need is builders in your house.I ,dont blame you at all for not letting them in ,I wouldnt have done either.I had a very upsetting time two years ago with workman in my house,they bodged up a job and it took weeks to sort out as they kept letting me down.It made me feel very ill and I was bad enough before all that happened.Itried to explain how I was feeling ,but they really didnt give two hoots.So I say to you .think of yourself and dont feel bad.I hope when you get back home later you find everything ok ,Im sure it will be .Try to have a good sleep tonight .Take care luv Sue x

Quiet-Lift
09-06-09, 04:20
Hi Suzy-Sue and tetley:)

Thanks for reading my post and providing what i asked for - sensible and level-headed reassurance.

No damage from the builders' pot-holing activities when I returned home. Only the big mountain I had made out of a molehill remained. It's strange how a depressed mood can distort an essentially trivial and relatively unimportant problem into some kind of major crisis.:blush:

Sorry to hear about your experience Suzy-Sue. I just wish some of these workmen had more consideration and took more care with what they do.

I'm off for a kip now.

Best wishes to you both

xx