PDA

View Full Version : Newbie! - Panic Attacks and Depression

kitty007(f)
08-06-09, 20:57
Hi All!

Just wanted to say hi to you all, I am a 26 year old female who has suffered with panic attacks and mild-moderate depression for around 5 years now! I stopped taking Prozac 3 months ago because I was fedup with the side effects of this medication, though coping without has proven very difficult. I can suffer up to 3/4 near anxiety attacks a day, I had a big panic attack 3 weeks ago which hasn't done much for my self confidence.

Anyway, I am trying to reduce my anxiety myself by exercising regular (took up running last month) and cutting out caffine (just decided over the weekend) all of which seem to be helping a little. I can go from being absolutely fine inside my house to being an anxiety maniac when I reach a shop ('Asda' is my nemesis), or just go shopping or I can just be walking my dogs (happened today)!

I went through a weird stage of just wanting to stay in lots last month though I am getting back out there so to speak.....I also suffer panic when I am driving and I have a passenger, this is horrible as the feeling of entrapment just takes over and I feel like I'm going to let go of the steering wheel and crash, or something is going to go into me, or a tyre is going to come flying off and I'll be responsible for killing my passenger(s). Anyway, I am trying to over come all of this.....I wanted to join this group because I need support from other people who understand and know how I am feeling!

Another thing I will say, quickly, about my depression is how awful that can be....one day I can be a hippy, hyper person the next I am so miserable and trying to be/sound cheerful with work colleagues, family is almost impossible when all I want to do is curl up in a ball and cry!!!! I am very happy with my home life at the moment - planning to get married soon (stable relationship)...so why, oh why does this all happen to meeeee???

I really struggle to cope with places where there are lots of people as I keep thinkign they are all watching me, judging me and getting ready to hurl negative comments at me (it's horrible). I have a good job where I work 1:1 with adults with learning difficultes that really help to distract me from myself (how weird does that sound!). I think I probably need to go back to the docs to get, possibly another prescription but the thought of waiting in that room causes loads of anxiety.....as I get older my anxiety and depression seem to get worse, does any one have any idea as to why?

I 'll stop my post now as I seem to have written an essay - Look forward to hearing from you soon!

Kitty xx

bottleblond
08-06-09, 21:04
Hi Kitty

Welcome to NMP :flowers:

Everything you have explianed there is absolute classic of anxiety hun.
You will get alot of advice and support here!
Nice to meet you
Lisa
x

Burnsey
08-06-09, 21:22
hi there

i know exactly how u feel hiun. im a 27 yr old female and been having anxiety/ panic attacks and mild depression for about 5 yrs now. im happy in my job (recently been promoted) this was great for me becasue 5 yrs ago i felt i couldnt even get out of bed and function each day. i was signed off for 2 weekas and prescribed sertraline anti deps by doc. iv had good weeks awfull weeks and panic attacks (my worst fear is having one in work). been with my bfriend for 7 yrs were happy so i know its not anything causing it. been ok for a few months then my gdad went into hosp last week and i feel i cant cope again, tearfull, feel like cant be chirpy infront of work collegues/ friends/ family.
sorry about the rant

your not alone

Sarah x