PDA

View Full Version : Throat Swelling

sarah98022
09-06-09, 00:34
2 days ago i took 1/2 of a b vitamin pill complex, it included Niacin, and Thiamin in pretty high amounts. I had a major reaction, and i thought it was the niacin. My throat became swollen and tight, and slightly painful, on the left side, lower not higher.

Today i took a pill for energy, and noticed it had a pretty small amount of thiamin, 5.2 mg, where the vitamin b complex had 100 mg thiamin and 25 mg of niacin. I took one this morning and 1 this afternoon at 3, around 30 mins or so after i noticed my throat becoming a bit tight, and possibly a bit swollen on the right side, lower. It is a bit painful when i move my head. But nothing like the other day. Now why would this happen, and should i be completely panicked call a doctor? Or will i be ok? I can breath, and swallow, everything else seems ok, just nervous. I have been putting a bit of ice on it. I think i also may be a bit tramatized from the other day. Any advice?

xfilme
09-06-09, 08:11
Ok, you do not have to go by my word, but I would find it very very unusual to come across anybody having an allergic reaction to niacin or thiamin as both are water soluble B vitamins that are natural to your body. It would be like having an allergic reaction to vitamin c. Im pretty sure its not possible as every vegetable/meat you eat is likely to contain it. I would assume that the sewlling in your throat and the taking of the vitamin are two completely isloated things, and no more than coincidence that your throat swelled at the same time. By all means check this with a doctor, but I think you will find this to be the case. It doesnt matter that the niacin and thiamin were strong because as I said, b vitamins are water soluble, meaning any that is not needeed by your body is excreted in your urine. I would suggest you go to your doctor regarding your throat as it may have swelled as a reaction to something else or maybe due to infection or a virus etc... but I would say it is very unlikely to be caused by the vitamins. Thiamin has no toxicity. Niacin taken in extremely high doses of over 1000mg a day for an extended period can cause blurred vision in the long run, but it is only likely to cause slight flushing if taken in a lower dose. The over the counter Niacin at 100mg is "flush-free". 100mg is not a high dose, it is commonly used on a daily basis by people lowering their cholesterol. Neither of them cause throat swelling. x

sarah98022
11-06-09, 22:09
Ok thank you very much. I am fine now. The only thing other that i did, was Methamphetamine, so that is most likely it.

I did not do Crystal Meth, i did a different variation.
I don't want to do it again because i had such a bad reaction. I guess i should have mentioned that, but it didn't seem like the culprit since it happened much after i had taken the drugs. I guess its true that drugs are bad.