PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what's going on anymore

tom1
09-06-09, 01:08
Hi, I don't know if any of you saw my other thread in the medication section, but basically I've been having a hard time for a while now.

I'm not sure what the root cause of my problem is, and I just can't find the right treatment.

I'm on Effexor XR 75mg which at first was helping a lot, but then over time like all anti-depressants I've taken, it starts making me feel worse. I'm reluctant to go up a dose because I'm not sure I want to remain on it. All other medications in the past (when I've gone up a dose) temporarily fix the problem then I feel worse again.

It's weird because, I'm constantly trying different anti-depressant medications but they seem to eventually cause bigger problems than I had to start with.

I'm in a bit of no win situation, as my CBT is lacking progress again and just everything I'm being told to do is not working.

For the last few weeks I decided to wean myself down off Effexor because I was just so annoyed with not being motivated and bored of my life that I wanted to do something about it. But the thing is (with every time I start to come off my medications) I get better and I can think clearly again and experience certain parts of happiness, until my anxiety takes over and then I crawl back to the pills.

So, as you can see I feel pretty hopeless and like everything I try has a no win effect.

I'm starting to question my diagnosis which was done several years ago, for anxiety and depression and whether it is correct or if there is some other underlying cause.

suzy-sue
09-06-09, 16:53
Hi Tom,Sorry to read you are in such a turmoil.When you say you feel better when you stop the pills,how long do you give it from the last dose until you go back on them? I am thinking that maybe the anxiety you experience then ,is down to withdrawals off the meds....It can take a few weeks for your body to adjust ,the same as when you start on them. Hugs Sue:hugs:

tom1
09-06-09, 19:47
I give it 2-3 days then I have to take them because otherwise I can't function. :frown:

By the way I never really had any increased anxiety while starting Effexor at all, unlike other medications.

suzy-sue
09-06-09, 20:20
Hi again Tom, You will get withdrawals even if you didnt get symptoms when you start.These vary from person to person as usual.I would say you need to speak to someone about this,If they arent doing anything for you ,maybe they need to re-asess you. Hope you get sorted out soon.Luv Sue x

Liverbird67
11-06-09, 08:05
Hiya Tom

Hope you have managed to get things sorted out

Tori Frances
12-06-09, 09:07
Hi Tom,
I think we often blame antidepressants for our problems when its the nature of anxiety for it to fluctuate anyway - on or off medication.
Maybe don't be so quick to come on or off meds. Talk about it with dr before you do anything.
I know how you feel about feeling better then worse again. Its sort of heartbreaking - but I guess its better than just feeling bad all the time.
I also struggle with CBT. It sort of feels like the symptoms come before the thoughts so trying to change the thoughts doesn't work. Although I know the thoughts musyt play their part as they exacerbate. It also feels like the anxiety controls the thoughts rather than the thoughts controlling the anxiety. I find it all v hard anyway but am going to keep on trying.
Have you tried other forms of therapy? Maybe psychotherapy that looks more into your past and where the route cause is?