PDA

View Full Version : Help for spouse taking cipralex

lisagb
09-06-09, 15:45
Good day

I have never used a forum before so forgive me if I am not going about it properly.

I need an opinion or comments on symptoms. I have looked all over the place and comments about symptoms do not quite match what I am noticing.

My spouse has been on Cipralex for approx.3 weeks.

He has a history of alcohol abuse.

The symptoms I am observing in him are as though he is drunk. His speeched is slurred, he crashes into things, he can't remember a conversation seconds after having it and he cannot stay on topic. Thank God his boss has put him on sick leave and he is no longer working at the moment.

I appreciate there are symptoms such as dizziness but should it be this extreme?Also why are some days worse than others?

I am concerned becuase of his history with alcohol abuse I feel like he is drinking although he assures me he is not and I'm almost certain I don't smell alcohol on his breath.

Do you think this could be some sort of mild serontin symdrome? Or would a drop in his sodium levels be causing this?

We are going to the doctor again today, but thought it might be a good idea to talk to people who have been on this medication.

I myself have been using celexa for over a year and have not had a single side affect on this type of SSRI.

Any comments would appreaciated.

Southern_Belle
09-06-09, 16:14
Hi Lisa,

I can't answer as I have never been on that drug myself but I would go to the doctor with him and clearly explain his behavior. If he was a heavy drinker before perhaps he is going through withdrawls and the meds are interacting with it. If the doctor did not realize he abused alcohol he might not have prescribed it, I just don't know. Also, there are some alcohols, I think it is vodka that some people say you can't smell. I can smell alcohol a mile away but others say no. Again, I would not let him go to the doctor alone if you can help it. Good luck and hope things go well.

Take care,

Laura

lisagb
10-06-09, 06:21
Turns out spouse was too sick to go to the dr.

I went myself...apparantly the symptoms he was experiencing were not typical and his doctor urged me to take him to emergency and have him admitted for testing.

5 hours later..and thousands of tax dollars later....turns out he was drunk and has been daily for at least a week and just lying. Turns out Vodka really doesn't smell....as much anyway.

sorry to everyone for wasting your time. thank you very much to the lovely lady who did try and help... Good luck to all !