PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Question

Anxious-in-Canada
10-06-09, 17:30
Hello:

I just started taking Citalopram (20mg) yesterday. Two pills so far, and I feel anxious and have cold/hot flashes, had a headache yesterday that is gone now. The other big side effect is insomnia, I can usually get to sleep but wake up early and can't get back to sleep. Just wondering if anyone else also had this effect with the drug.

I am trying to stay positive as this is to help out of a temporary depression, but some of the complaints around this drug certainly feed the anxiety and depression.

I know all drugs have side effects and work differently for people but as a rule I have been assured that this antidepressant is one of the most tolerated drug available with the lowest of side effects. Can anyone else confirm this?

fedupofanxiety
10-06-09, 17:36
im on a very similar anti depressant to this which is ment to have the least side effects out of all anti depressants and it does increase anxiety, and i have had a hard time sleeping i think the side effects tend to pass within a few weeks!

Anxious-in-Canada
10-06-09, 18:15
Thank You fedupofanxiety.

I hope to get through this "funk" soon, just need a little help out of it. Hopefully citalopram is the help.

Lion King
10-06-09, 19:42
Hi anx in canada (a mouthful),

I started on 10mg for the first 10 days, in that time I experience shakiness, nervousness and increased anxiety, I increased to 20mg and the side effects continued for a couple of weeks. Eventually the greater side effects subsided slightly, I had slight insomnia and headaches for about 3 days straight and felt really anxious in this period. The side effects are different for everyone, some are a couple of week, others can take upto 6 to 8 weeks, for me the side effects continued and I had to increase the dose. 30mg has balanced me out, still get anxiety and tension, but you learn how to deal with it.

What time are you taking your citalopram? I have heard if you take them at night this can seriously effect your sleep. I take mine first thing in the morning and my sleep is pretty good.

Your starting dose could possibly be too high to start with, but I have heard a few people start on 20mg and had no problems.

All the side effects are the amazing rollercoaster of taking anti-depressants, just take the ride and you will come out the other end an improved person!

Hope you all the best

Lion King

deadcellx
10-06-09, 19:49
Hi there, I only managed to take citalopram for a few days. I didn't notice it effecting my sleep, as I was experiencing insomnia at the time anyway. The only side effect I had was it would make me extremley sick about 2 hours after I having taken it.

Hope you can find a medication that suits you.

suzy-sue
10-06-09, 20:24
Hello:

I just started taking Citalopram (20mg) yesterday. Two pills so far, and I feel anxious and have cold/hot flashes, had a headache yesterday that is gone now. The other big side effect is insomnia, I can usually get to sleep but wake up early and can't get back to sleep. Just wondering if anyone else also had this effect with the drug.

I am trying to stay positive as this is to help out of a temporary depression, but some of the complaints around this drug certainly feed the anxiety and depression.

I know all drugs have side effects and work differently for people but as a rule I have been assured that this antidepressant is one of the most tolerated drug available with the lowest of side effects. Can anyone else confirm this?

I used to wake up every 2-3 hrs and couldnt get back to sleep for about an houror sometimes longer.FinallyId wake up around 6-30 -7am and had to get up .,Retching/ Panic attacks , one after the other.Feeling nauseaus all day,but didnt have an appetite. Had to eat tiny ammounts of food ,and drank complan and smoothies,to get something down me that was nutritious. Had the tremors for a week .,Hot and cold sweats,headaches,felt dizzy.Thought I was going crazy. But it did get better, and Im glad I stuck it out .Its worth it in the end. Good luck ,dont let it beat you Sue X

Lion King
10-06-09, 21:55
Crikey Sue,

I thought I had it bad, it just goes to show that we are all affected in different ways!

Anxious-in-Canada
11-06-09, 12:22
Thank You All. I appreciate the information and the support, it is so easy to get all hyped up about the side effects and lose focus on the ultimate goal of feeling better....

suzy-sue
11-06-09, 12:41
YES THATS RIGHT.THINK ITS SOMETIMES A CASE OF NO PAIN NO GAIN SO TO SPEAK!. WHATS A COUPLE OF WEEKS OF FEELING CR-P TO FEELING WELL AGAIN?.ALL THE BEST A.I C X SUE