PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram Survival Guide: Reloaded

NoPoet
13-06-09, 21:39
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Temporary Intro Text:
Hi all,

Welcome to the Citalopram Survival Guide: Reloaded.

This is the updated and user-friendly version of the citalopram survival guide. This version will be MUCH easier to use and it will be easier to print, as I will post it up in sections. Each section will be hyperlinked for your convenience. This thread is currently in the experimental stage. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY IN THIS THREAD.

There will be text only in this thread, no pictures. I will type out web addresses AND provide hyperlinks so if you decide to print the guide out you will be able to see which websites I recommend for you. (This may not be possible with insanely long website addresses.)

I have got A LOT of work to do and I appreciate your patience while I get this thread together.

IN THE MEANTIME THE ORIGINAL SURVIVAL GUIDE WILL REMAIN INTACT AND CAN BE FOUND IN THIS THREAD: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46980

I will add updates and information to this opening post. Please keep checking back to see what is new.

I must ask that people do not reply to this thread until the Guide is completed! If you post replies before the Guide is done, YOU WILL SCREW IT UP!!! :roflmao:

==================

CITALOPRAM SURVIVAL GUIDE: RELOADED

ORGANISING THE FIGHT AGAINST ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION

If you want to build a ship, don't herd people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.
- Antoine De Saint-Exupery

Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be.
- Don Quixote

You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea.
- Hope Falls: The Legend Continues

You're on a first name basis with lucidity, little friend. I have to call it "mister" lucidity... and that's no good in a pinch.
- The Tick

==================

Latest Update
16/08/09: Importing data from previous version of Survival Guide
- Insert date and details of update
- Remember details of last 5 updates

==================

How to use the Guide

To find a specific section

Look at the index below and find the section you want. Each section has a code next to it. For example, "What is citalopram used for? [C2]"

To jump straight to that section, you can use your brower's Find function. Hold the control key and press F to bring up your Find box. Simply type the code for the section you want and press Enter. You don't need to type the square brackets and you don't need to bother with capital letters.

Note that this function may not work correctly until the Guide is completed.

Replying to the Guide

Please do not reply in this thread until the Guide is completed. If you have thoughts or comments, please send me a personal message or post in the original survival guide thread: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46980

Personal messages

I will try to reply to them all but may take a short while due to the number of PMs I send and receive.

The original survival guide

The original survival guide can be found by clicking the above link. This Reloaded version will contain everything found in the original guide with enhancements and extra content (and edits to remove unnecessary text).

How long will it take for the Reloaded Guide to be finished?

Unknown; I no longer have as much free time, and immersing myself in the world of anxiety is slowing my own recovery. I will try to finish this Guide as quickly as possible.

Why does the "Back to Index" function just reload page 1 of this thread?

I need to sort some things out before this is fixed.

What are the Reserved Posts?

Those are reserved slots to make sure the flow of this Guide is not interrupted. Don't worry about them, they will be filled.

==================

Index

The purpose of this Guide [C1] (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=513465&postcount=2)
- Welcome to the Citalopram Bandwagon [C1A]
- My backstory [C1B]
- Your problems can be overcome [C1C]

What is citalopram used for? [C2] (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=513470&postcount=3)
- Citalopram vs depression [C2A]
- Citalopram vs anxiety/panic [C2B]
- Why have I been prescribed citalopram? [C2C]
- Escitalopram [C2D]

Stress - the silent destroyer

Fighting back against anxiety and depression
- What is mental illness?
- Is it possible to make a complete recovery?

Fighting back against bipolar disorder
- How do I know if I am bipolar?
- Is it possible to completely recover from bipolar disorder?

Fighting back against schizophrenia
- What is schizophrenia?
- Is it possible to completely recover from schizophrenia?

Fighting back against negative thoughts
- Why am I thinking such negative things?
- The cycle of negative thinking
- The fear of fear

The recovery process
- What does "recovery" mean?
- How do I recover?
- Ups and downs
- The fear of relapse
- Preventing a relapse

Strategies for recovery
- Outsmarting your problems
- All-out assault

Disclaimers and additional info

Reserved Posts [No Data]
- Reserved sections

Test Section [No Data]
- [No Data]
- [No Data]
- [No Data]

NoPoet
13-06-09, 21:39
The Purpose of this Guide
[C1]

* To take a lighthearted look at life with citalopram;
* To provide relief to those who have been frightened by everything they have read and heard about citalopram and depression and anxiety;
* To be an honest and frank source of information written by a sufferer for fellow sufferers;
* To provide first-hand proof that citalopram can help with anxiety and depression;
* To provide ideas for other types of support, assistance and therapy that you should take advantage of alongside medication;
* To be a light in the dark when all other lights have gone out.

Welcome to the citalopram bandwagon

Hello there and welcome to the Groovy Gang! You're just setting out on your grand citalopram adventure, or maybe you're a veteran who wants some further info. Or maybe you're just nosey and want to see what this is all about. Hopefully you aren't the manufacturer of citalopram, cos if you are, I'm going to need a solicitor.

I'm sorry you've reached the point where you need medical backup to recover... but recover you will, and this guide will be your companion for your journey. There are ups and downs in store, but the ups just keep on coming... and that's life, anyway :smile:

My backstory

I'm PsychoPoet. Most people call me Poet. I'm not actually a psycho. I'm not a poet either when I come to think of it. I just liked the way it sounded, is that a crime?! ;)

At the time of writing I have been taking citalopram for over 11 weeks and it has proven effective against my anxiety and depression. I also suffer from distressing thoughts caused by the anxiety/depression, and I am prone to suffering with stress. I analyse my thoughts and feelings too much and that can make me feel worse! The citalopram has not been so effective against the negative thoughts and over-thinking, but maybe in time it will make a difference.

I currently receive counselling and I use online cognitive behavioural therapy. I regularly use Mind and the Samaritans for support and further guidance. More on all of these later.

I've had depression and anxiety on and off for my whole life. I have always managed to shrug them off in the past but I never cured them cos I am a lazy sod and I stop making the effort as soon as I start feeling better.

This time is going to be the last. This time is when I bin my depression and anxiety off... once and for all.

Your problems can be overcome

I want you to know that depression and anxiety can be beaten. Maybe the citalopram will help, maybe it won't be so effective. Citalopram is not the only weapon in your arsenal!

Sometimes, if a problem's underlying causes are not resolved, it can come back; for some of us, like the Huge Materia in Final Fantasy VII, once it is gone, it is gone for good.

Back to Index (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51266)

NoPoet
13-06-09, 22:02
What is citalopram used for?
[C2]

Citalopram is an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) which is used to treat depression. It is sometimes used to treat panic and anxiety disorders.

Citalopram vs depression

Some (but not all) in the medical profession believe that anti-depressants are most helpful to those suffering from severe depression. It is believed that people with mild to moderate depression may benefit more from talking therapies such as counselling and congnitive behavioural therapies as their first line of treatment. However, anyone who is depressed may benefit from taking citalopram.

Citalopram vs anxiety/panic disorder

If you suffer from anxiety or panic attacks and do not have symptoms of depression you may be better off looking for another type of medication such as beta blockers, since citalopram (like every SSRI) is known to increase anxiety in its first few weeks. This is just my opinion of course. Discuss it with your doctor.

Some No More Panic members who were prescribed citalopram to cure their anxiety disorders have reported citalopram to be ineffective until many weeks or even months have passed. Citalopram seems to be more effective against depression than anxiety although it is medically proven to work against both conditions.

Why have I been prescribed citalopram?

Citalopram seems to be the first choice among SSRIs these days as it supposedly inflicts less side effects than some other SSRIs and is more easily tolerated by the human body. Modern day SSRIs are considerably easier for the human body to tolerate than previous generations of antidepressants.

Whatever you are taking citalopram for, medical trials show that all types of anti-depressant medication work better when you are also receiving other forms of treatment such as counselling. Medication alone is not an effective "cure" for depression or anxiety. It is designed to control the symptoms so that you can deal with the cause.

Escitalopram

A new variant of citalopram, called escitalopram, is also available and is thought to cause fewer side effects than citalopram. Your doctor may choose to prescribe escitalopram rather than citalopram. Escitalopram is given in lower doses as it may be more concentrated.

This survival guide does not cover escitalopram as I have no experience with or knowledge of that medication.

Back to Index (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=51266)

NoPoet
13-06-09, 22:12
Reserved Post

Space reserved for future updates. Please do not delete.

NoPoet
13-06-09, 22:14
Reserved Post

This space reserved for future updates. Please do not delete.

NoPoet
15-06-09, 13:04
Stress - the silent destroyer

WORK IN PROGRESS

What is stress?
Stress is the feeling of pressure we get when we have got things to do or problems to deal with. A small amount of stress can be motivating, so stress is a positive thing to a point. Some people positively thrive on stress. Others, however, are more susceptible to strain, so they should avoid - or preferably learn to deal with - feelings of stress.

Why would I be suffering from stress?
Stress is particularly common in today's world. We are nearly all under pressure of some kind: time pressure, work deadlines, targets, dealing with problems, driving on busy roads and so on. Even playing computer games can be stressful. I defy you to play Hearts of Iron 2: Armageddon without feeling like your head is going to implode.
The simple fact is if you are a part of the world, you are going to face stress and pressure at some point.

Why can stress be dangerous?
It can increase your heart rate and provoke mood swings: in my last job I was capable of transforming from pleasant to monstrous in 0.2 seconds. This can cause damage to interpersonal relationships. A big problem of stress is increased blood pressure, although in most cases your blood pressure will return to normal when the stress is over.
The most common reaction to stress is headaches and tiredness. Tension headaches are very tough to beat. I recommend ibuprofen if it is safe for you to take it. Tension headaches can be frightening if you have never had one before which only makes them worse.
Migraine is also caused by stress (among other things). Migraines are very nasty even though they are ultimately harmless.
Prolonged severe stress can alter your physical and mental state, so if you are struggling to cope with the level of stress in your life you must either learn some stress management techniques, or change the things that make you stressed (e.g. get another job).

Can stress cause anxiety or depression?
It is hard to suffer prolonged periods of stress without it affecting your mental and physical health. It is possible that high stress levels over an extrended period of time can cause you to enter a negative frame of mind and/or suffer from physical symptoms which may eventually include depression or anxiety.
Just because you are under stress does not guarantee that your mental or physical health will suffer.

How does stress affect my physical health?
From what I have learned through experience, stress displays many similar symptoms to anxiety. You can suffer tiredness, blurred vision (from concentrating or tensing up), headaches, migraine, muscular tension, feelings of wanting to scream or run away, nausea, mood swings (sudden irritability or anger), lack of motivation, feelings of being overwhelmed and probably a hundred other things.

How can I reduce stress?
You can start by reducing your caffeine intake! This is a particular problem for people who drink lots of coffee at work -- in some ways this is the worst thing you can do when you are stressed.
You need to get more rest as well. Try going to bed earlier after tough days. Improve your "sleep hygeine" - go to bed at the same time each night, make sure you are comfy and think positive thoughts as you drift off. In the long run, good sleep hygeine is one of the best things a human being can do to improve their quality of life.

NoPoet
16-08-09, 22:51
Reserved Post

This space has been reserved for future updates. Please do not delete.

NoPoet
16-08-09, 23:02
Disclaimers and Additional Info

1. A number of people have contacted me about this Guide thinking that it deals with all types of medication. While nearly everything that follows is useful for anyone taking any anti-depressant medication and *may* be valid for anxiolytics as well, this is a citalopram guide. Please bear in mind that if you are taking any other type of medication, this Guide will not be 100% accurate.

2. I am not a doctor. This Guide is written based on personal experience, information I have learned from other NMP members since I joined this site and extensive internet research. The article is as accurate as I can make it but there may be some discrepancies. I cannot provide guarantees on any of the information that follows!

3. Please ensure that if you wish to alter any aspect of your medication or take any of the supplements mentioned in this article, consult a doctor and/or pharmacist first. Ensure that it is safe for you to take a supplement before you purchase it or decide to try taking it.

4. This guide is currently under extensive re-work and will be re-presented in a more up to date, easier to use format. All of the information below will be included in the new version of the guide. I cannot guarantee when the new updated guide will be complete due to real-life commitments. I have already dedicated dozens of hours to writing this survival guide over a period of 5 months.

5. I am not affiliated with No More Panic beyond being a member of the site (obviously) and therefore all views and opinions expressed in this guide are purely my own.

6. I welcome any and all feedback about the guide and I reply to all my PMs. If you message me and I don't reply, it's probably because I received a dozen messages that morning and smoke is coming from my fingers as I type my replies. I will get round to answering your enquiry. If not, feel free to send me a reminder.

7. I do not have any experience with other SSRIs or any other anti-depressant medication. I do not know anyone who has taken anxiolytics. I cannot provide support for these medications.

kenny830
21-10-15, 11:57
Hello there,

Just wish I had found this fourum before I stopped Citalopram after 9 weeks. This was at the end of April, so 5 months ago now. I had good and bad spells as expected, but the last two weeks I got very depressed and a weak leg. I have a head injury with hemipligia down one side of my body.

I started on 5 mgs as I was so scared after having a bad reaction to coming off Cipralex, which ended in it pushing me to kill myself! Then went to 10 mg and got the very bad headaches. The 15 for two weeks made me depressed, and weak. I had sometimes where I could run early on.

I phoned the GP in a panic as I was so unwell and she said to stop the drug. When I lowered the dose one time I suddenly felt well and then realised it had started working! I lost the threputic dose thou so all was lost. My head was screeching coming off the drug.

That was about 5 months ago - I have been on Citalopram twice before this so in all three times. I am really unwell and having to go back to my head injury rehab centre and I was just wondering if you know how many times you can safely start Citalopram?

I understand my case is quite unusual but I am very scared. I've tried other pills but nothing seems to work for my condition, or I cant tolerate them.

Thanks for your continued work on this guide. I wish I had found it earlier..

Keith