PDA

View Full Version : THINK B4 YOU SPEAK

Laurie28
06-01-04, 16:10
hiya Guys,

I was at a party on the 1st of January and one women (who i wont name) said to me

You are awful skinny blah blah blah blah

I never replied just looked at her (the room was full of people)
but she kept banging on until my sister in law (who is pregnant) said

I hope i lose the weight as quickly

My question is if I had trouble losing the weight after my baby would she have banged on (nastily) in the same way??

I don't think so - do you??

Lucky

Lottie32
06-01-04, 17:06
Hi Lucky

Its called envy

People come up to me and go "ooh aren't you thin" (well they did until this last year, when I finally managed to put some weight on)

How rude

One person kept doing it. Repeatedly. Eventually (and I don't recommend you do this - I was under the influence of alcohol and very tired/stressed at the time)they said "ooh aren't you thin" once too often.

It's not very often I loose the plot, but I'm afraid on this occassion I did. I let myself down and retorded as follows

I may be slim, but I can put weight on whenever I choose. You, however will always be ugly.

(Thanks Oscar Wilde).

I can say that it worked - the person never called me thin again.

Although come to think of it, they haven't actually spoken to me since that incident! Mind you, I'm not bothered.

I'd love to loose a few pounds. For years my weight stabilised at 10 st 2 (I'm nearly 6 ft tall). Now its gone up to 11 st and I can't shift it. And I've not altered my eating habits either!

Make the most of being thin whilst you can, and stick two fingers up at those who have a problem with it. Life is too short

Charlie

Laurie28
07-01-04, 12:49
Thanks Charlie,

The retort about being ugly I must admit flashed through my mind though!!!

Love
Lucky

Laurie28
08-01-04, 16:16
Charlie,

Some people prefer thin people some people prefer bigger people. (i mean in relationships) I have no problem with that at all - fair enough!
What i do have a problem with is when it gets personal and verges on plain flippin nasty!!!
Maybe i am too sensitive

lucky

Lottie32
09-01-04, 13:16
Lucky

No I empathise. You are what you are, and as somebody who has always been very self conscious about herself (particularly looks), I really don't think people realise the harm they can do with a comment. Even a well intentioned one.

Maybe everybody should adopt the mantra, If you haven't got anything nice to say, don't bother saying anything at all!

Love

Charlie

nomorepanic
10-01-04, 15:11
I am definitely not thin but I can understand how it can get upsetting when people make comments. I have the opposite problem and people used to think I was pregnant.

A few years ago, the next door neighbour asked me when the baby was due and so did the woman down the local shops.

You know the badge that says "I am not fat I am pregnant", well I need one that says "I am not pregnant, I am FAT" - lol

I still do look about 3 months pregnant so back on the diet now!

Nicola

nlancashire
11-01-04, 22:41
Conratulations nic, you never mentioned it on the chat site !

Neil

nomorepanic
11-01-04, 23:24
Neil

Don't go there mate ;)

The last thing I need right now is a baby thanks!

Nicola

nlancashire
12-01-04, 23:11
It must be wind or a big poo then

[:p]

neal

Buby
13-01-04, 01:36
YUCK neil, like we'd want to know that, well maybe some of us do, but not me.

hugs Rachel xx

Rennie1989
13-01-04, 20:40
Lucky

Dont change the way you look just because someone says you should. Im dangerously skinny and im putting on weight coz i want to live longer but listen to the voice inside not the devil's.

Jade

Laurie28
14-01-04, 12:53
jade,

that's my problem, I know I am too thin and am trying to gain weight but it is taking time!!

Love
Lucky

stimpy
14-01-04, 22:02
Some people are never happy - take my Ex finace's mum.

Every time I went round there she would feed me up, and say "Ain't you thin".
Then I put some weight on and got moaned at "You ain't half put some weight on, you used to be ever so tiny."

The moral of the story, be happy with who you are, and if you are a little bit heavier than you should be, don't let it bother you.

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx

[:p] Panic Monster & Scatty Excentric

Rennie1989
16-01-04, 19:28
Stimpy

I truely agree with you, couldnt agree more. my m8 tried to comit suicide just because she was fat. she wasnt even obese,she had a safe weight. she does get on my nerves. it dont matter if ya fat or slim, just be happy for who ya r

Jade

Lottie32
17-01-04, 12:27
People should learn to keep their opinions to themselves.

When I joined the gym I had a body mass of 21.5 and a body fat of 21%. This is pretty healthy for somebody who was doing no exercise.

When I was living with Sofa through the Window Boyfriend I weighed less than 9 stone (I'm 5' 10") and people kept saying I was too thin. In five years, I have put two stone on and weigh 11 stone now. Now people keep saying haven't you put weight on. I am quite conscious about it, and rarely weigh myself for that reason, as I have had problems with food in the past. I've not weighed myself since starting at the gym, cos I do quite a bit of resistance training as well as cardio, and I know that I will quite likely weigh more than I started. (Muscle weighing heavier than fat)

However, getting my BMI and body fat done reasured me. 21.5 on a BMI is a low healthy, and a body fat of 22 is not bad, although I am expecting this to go down as I exercise more.

The thing that really bothers me is
a. people say comments without thinking that you may have weight issues, even a well meant comment can go the wrong way.
b. the people who comment about my weight are usually FAT BLOATERS themselves who are unfit and overweight and heading for heart disease in later life.

I really feel like saying
I am a healthy weight and size now, it's you that have the problem, stop eating and start exercising lard ars*. But I'm too polite. So I don't

We should all boycott the magazines that use stick insects instead of real women as models, and ban air brushing. Most of the people pictured actually look nothing like their media image when you see them in real life.

We should concentrate on being healthy, not what we look like. There is one lady at the gym who is a little on the large side. However, she trains harder and faster than me, and is loads fitter, its just how she is. I'm the daughter of a stick insect father, and I've taken after him.

Charlie

Laurie28
19-01-04, 11:55
WELL SAID CHARLIE

HERE HERE

lUCKY

Rennie1989
23-01-04, 20:27
Charlie's right, i wish peeps do keep their opinions to their selves, peeps at my school always say to me ''you are so skiny' or 'are ya a boffin' why cant they SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!

Jade

Rennie1989
23-01-04, 20:32
I was just thinking (ow no!) peeps who suffer PA may be thin. Lucky, ya skinny and me.

Who agrees with me

Jade

Matt
23-01-04, 20:48
Not me!!

Never have been thin...

I'm what lottie32 would call a FAT Bloater or lard ars* :D I'm not unfit I'm just not thin:D

I dont care what people think of me or say to me at the end of the day! I'm me I'm great and its their problem if they dont think so not mine!:D

mee

Lottie32
24-01-04, 11:46
Well Said Matt

The important thing is that you are a lard boy and happy with it.

The only time people should do anything about their weight should be for medical reasons, or because they are not happy with the way they look. And that can be like Lucky who wants to put on a few pounds, or me who would like to loose a few.

I had a friend who battled anorexia for years, and there is only me and her sister who can confidently mention weight to her. If anybody else says something she still freaks. I think it's only the fact that she has had children, and had to eat to nourish the baby that has got her to the weight she is now. People may not even be intentionally mean, but we have had to coax her to eat so many times, that you realise what harm a mis directed comment can have.

Love

Charlie

Megan
26-01-04, 04:44
It's funny how people ramble on and on about thinness, but say nothing to someone when they're fat. Calling someone thin can be just as insulting as calling them fat.

-------------------------

“But I don’t want to go among mad people,” Alice remarked.
“Oh, you can’t help that,” said the Cat; “we’re all made here. I’m mad. You’re mad.”
“How do you know I’m mad?” said Alice.
“You must be,” said the Cat, “or you wouldn’t have come here.”

--Alice in Wonderland

Laurie28
26-01-04, 11:46
Megan,

That is exactly my point!!

Lucky

Matt
26-01-04, 12:07
quote:Originally posted by Megan

It's funny how people ramble on and on about thinness, but say nothing to someone when they're fat.

Erm dont they?? I have seen fat people been shouted at by complete strangers in the street "Oi fat b*****" etc... Do you get that when your thin?

Lottie32
26-01-04, 14:58
No Matt we don't, because it just wouldn't make sense if somebody shouted "Oi Fat B******" to us skinnies!

Love

Charlie

Matt
26-01-04, 15:31
You know what I meant!!! [:p]

m

Laurie28
26-01-04, 16:10
LOL CHARLIE -

the point I have been trying to make Matt is the amount of people who have CONSTANTLY commented on my thiness is incredible (and not all in a nice way!!! ) people seem to think they can go on and on about it!!

I don't beleive for a minute if I had struggled to lose weight after my baby instead of losing too much people would say the so much

Lucky

Matt
26-01-04, 16:48
Granted I know thats your point :)...

But the same thing happens to larger people that is the point I'm trying to make... Its anyone whos larger or smaller than the "norm" that gets these comments constantly its not only thin people!

Lottie32
26-01-04, 16:54
Lucky

No I agree totally - when I was under 9 stone people would keep coming up saying god you've lost loads of weight, you look really scrawny, are you ill?

Thin I don't mind being, but scrawny - no thanks. And yes I was too thin, and looked skeletal, but at the end of the day, I COULDN'T HELP IT!

I usually try and keep my comments to things like you look well, or I like your hair like that etc.(Totally innocuous things unless I know them well enough to make personal comments - and if I do, then I expect them back) After all, you can still look healthy and thin, or healthy and fat. And if somebody is suffering from a personal problem, and consequently comfort eating, putting on a few pounds, I'm sure being reminded of this is NOT going to make them feel any better!

A fellow pool team member keeps saying to me, have you put a bit of weight on - you look a lot better now, I know he's only trying to be nice, but it makes me feel fat (even though when I've got my sensible head on I know I'm not). Incidentally, he is over weight and has bad teeth, but I never say owt to him

Charlie

Matt
26-01-04, 17:05
I agree with all that charlie! :) There is no reason to comment on someones weight as you say you are aware of having a little too much or too little weight no need to be told :)

And I have good teeth!:D haha

Rennie1989
26-01-04, 19:27
I get really annoyed when people come up to me and say ''You are SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOO skinny'' or ''you look really gross''

At least im skinny, no fat but im so skinny that i might not make 50yrs old. Im 6stone 14yrs at the moments, dangerous weight for my age.

Jade

Laurie28
27-01-04, 11:50
The fact is Jade you know it which is a good thing
At your age alot of girls think they are 'fat'!

I'm sure the weight will come soon (although not too much)
Just be sensible (god hark at me!!!)

Skinny is the word I HATE!!!

Matt - I think only very mean people would shout at someone in the street if they were fat (Incidentally my teeth are not too bad!! but I have dentist tonight! - oh no)

lucky

Matt
27-01-04, 11:55
oh no lucky[:o] hope its nothing major with your teeth[:o]

Take it easy mateys:D

Lottie32
27-01-04, 12:19
To be fair, I just think there are a lot of unintelligent people out there that just shout out at anything they don't understand, whether you be a "fat *******", from "Belsen" are a "Paki" or a "Coon".

It's ignorance combined with stupidity. I have never understood the need for people to shout insults at complete strangers.

YOU DON'T KNOW THAT PERSON. For all you know, that "Paki" walking down the street could have given blood that helped your father recover from a life saving operation.

Maybe would should forget all about being thin or fat, and make it our mission to re-educate the people stupid enough to shout out at random people. Either that or lets get our own back by shouting "thicko" everytime they hurl and insult at us.

Charlie

Laurie28
27-01-04, 13:00
No Matt - Just some filling although I am absolutely bricking myself!!!!

Charlie - although it would be great to re-educate the stupid I think it would be a lost cause !!!

Take care

Love
Lucky

Matt
27-01-04, 13:12
Try not to worry bout it lucky:) I had to have a root filling a while ago I find the worst bit is the look of needle for the anestetic... So I just closed my eyes... lol I dunno whats in the anestetic but it seems to make me feel happy for a while after! lol

Lottie32
27-01-04, 15:34
Lucky

Sure you are right. Maybe the thing to do is to hit the high street in a posse of all the sorts of people who get names shouted at them.

Maybe a representative from each group, then they would have to shout "oh look a bunch of fat, thin, spotty, spectacle wearing, black, paki, one armed, Man U supporting, Welsh (apologies Bryan), Skoda driving, stuck up ........."

If the posse was big enough, they would run out of breath before the end of their tirade, and would simply drop down dead, negating the need for re-education, and making the world a nicer place, where you can walk down the street without people shouting about your pie consumption (or indeed lack of it).

Result, no more shallow people that judge on appearances and not the person inside.

Hows the dentist gone?

Love

Charlie

nomorepanic
27-01-04, 22:03
No-one has even shouted out to me "god you are fat" but I do get comments such as "are you pregnant", "you seem to have filled out a lot recently" and "oh you have put a lot of weight on since I last saw you". They don't hurt as such they just make me realise that I need to lose weight - lol.

When I lose 2 stone last year, I got the comments such as "oh you look so much better" and "god you have lost weight". That was nice.

It is hard to find a happy medium I think.

Nicola

kate
27-01-04, 22:11
Nic,

I have put a stone on in the last year and I'm very embarassed about it.

If I am going to see someone that I haven't seen for a while, I always have to say to them, as soon as we meet, "Oh I have put some weight on lately", just so as not to have them make a "fatty" comment to me first.

I always make a point NEVER to comment on anyones weight, I think it is much to personal and such an issue with so many people.

Kate x

nomorepanic
27-01-04, 22:53
Me too Kate

I too apologise for being overweight and we shouldn't should we?

I say things like "oh I have filled out a bit since you last saw me" or laugh and say "no I ain't pregnant"

It hurts to do it but we feel as though we need to justify it don't we!

Nicola

benoo5
27-01-04, 22:58
thanx charlie,

not only am i welsh,but ime also,a man utd supporter lol.

its evening now,and lucky has had her treatment,so i can post this...i spent four hours monday,in the dentist chair,at kings college..its a teaching hospital,so everytime the dentist did something,the students took it in turn to have a good look.

he rebuilt three broken teeth,and capped them..dug out a loose one,and replaced it,or so he said...every half hour a nurse brought him a cup of tea..ime in the wrong job,methinks.

as for weight,my girls are all slim,but healthy...thats what really counts...suppose,if we were all born blind...perhaps then,we would see each other,for what we really are...we would find a partner for other reasons,than looks...because looks fade...kindness,loyalty,friendship,caring nature,stay with us...just the thoughts,of a man with mouthache.....best wishes..bryan.

nomorepanic
28-01-04, 00:00
Bryan

Hope u are ok

What u say is true. I say to Alex "oh god I am so overweight" and what does he say - "you look lovely to me"

He has never been embarrassed about my weight - even though I was and I love him for that. He was never ashamed to go out with me.

He loves me cos I am a nice (crap word) person and that is what counts!

Nicola

Laurie28
28-01-04, 13:00
HIYA GUYS,

DENTIST WASN'T TOO BAD. I WAS ONLY GIVEN 1 FLLING (AS SHE KNOWS I'M A BABY AND HAS GIVEN ME A FEW APPOINTMENTS)

I WAS OKAY APART FROM THE BIG VIBRATING DRILL AND MY MOUTH BEING NUMB FOR A FEW HOURS.
NOT TOO BAD AT ALL

lOVE
LUCKY

Rennie1989
31-01-04, 18:13
Lucky

I h8 dentists, i h8 needles. I H8 I H8 I H8.

I had a filling last year and i passed out, didnt remember a thing, good thow

Glad ya coped well

Jade