PDA

View Full Version : Scared and Panicing

Londonlittle
15-06-09, 08:43
Hi, the Doctor gave me Fluoxetine on Thursday and I have been taking it for 5 days now. I have noticed that my anxiety seems to be even worse. I wake up at 5 in the morning feeling sick with a tight chest and racing heartbeat. I started taking them to help me cut down on tranquillisers, but I have been taking more tranqulisers just to calm me down.
Does anyone else have this problem? I am due to start a new job on Monday, and at the moment I can barely leave the house. Should I stop taking them?

Louise21
15-06-09, 11:52
Hi,
Sorry to read about your symptoms.
I took the lowest dosage of Prozac (2.5 in syrup form) a while back and had the worst panick attacks ever. I was experiencing them over a weekend of 3-4 per day, lasting about an hour and then really depressed afterwards, so stopped taking it. I obviously had a bad reaction to it. I know it works for some people - I have a friend who has been on it for years, but it wasn't for me!
I'm sorry I can't advise you what to do, but maybe others on here can share their experiences.
x

MaddyMoo
18-06-09, 19:25
Hi I have been on fluoxetine for two months and I can only offer you advice from my own perspective.

For 6 weeks I had what you are describing and it frustrates me that people come onto this site and declare that the meds did not agree with them after one week.

When you go to your GP and he puts you on meds he will advise you (or should advise you) that you are being put on a course of treatment that will last approximately 3-6 months but possibly more. He should also go through the possible side effects with you which are basically what you are describing.

The reason the course of treatment lasts for this long is that the meds can take up to 10 weeks yes 10 weeks to be fully effective. After that period you will then stay on them for at least another 2 - 3 months.

I had side effects for over six weeks with another blip two days last week. However two weeks ago it was like I woke up one day and someone switched a light switch on in my brain. No anxiety no depression no bad thoughts.

You have to stick out the course of treatment if thats the road you are going down. They are not magic pills and they dont work instantly just like antibiotics you take the course not just stop when you feel or dont feel better. I can promise you that if you stick it out you will feel better maybe not right away but you will get your normal self back. You will not become addicted or dependent on these meds either I promise. I know because I went through the same things I am going through now 12 years ago took fluoxetine for 6 months and they helped me get back to myself. I have been fine for 12 years with no meds. I am back on them because of stressful issues within my personal life but I know now I can get through it.

Sorry to waffle on but read the Cilatropram diary by psychpoet on this site it helped me so much to realsie things get better and you have to stick with the side effects of the meds. Sorry to waffle on I just hope you can stick it out and hopefully feel better. I read so often on this site people writing things about meds like I dont want to go down that road and I think why?

Why suffer? If you had a headache you would take tablets for an infection you would take antibiotics and when you are not well in your head why are people against meds. Most people write things like I had a bad reaction to the meds they didnt agree with me etc etc and I feel like banging my head against a brick wall. They are talking about side effects thats all and if they woudl have stuck with the meds they would have realised this. Oh and the valium are useless for the side effects I used diazapam prescribed by my dr for the anxiety casued by the side effects and it made no difference so I stopped taking it.

Please dont give up there are lots of stories on this section about success on fluoxetine I promise it works you just have to give it at least 6 - 8 weeks. I knwo its seems a long time but it will help you to help yourself and then in no time you will be off it and you will put al thsi behind you. Maddy xx

agnes
18-06-09, 19:38
Hi, the Doctor gave me Fluoxetine on Thursday and I have been taking it for 5 days now. I have noticed that my anxiety seems to be even worse. I wake up at 5 in the morning feeling sick with a tight chest and racing heartbeat. I started taking them to help me cut down on tranquillisers, but I have been taking more tranqulisers just to calm me down.
Does anyone else have this problem? I am due to start a new job on Monday, and at the moment I can barely leave the house. Should I stop taking them?

Londonlittle, is it possible for you to chat with your doctor because I'm sure s/he'll be able to put your mind at rest? When I started on medication, my anxiety was worse too, and my GP was able to reassure me.

theia

Kerrigan
18-06-09, 21:28
I'm on the 7th day, I took them before but came straight off them for no reason really but the first one I took made me drowzy, the more you take them the more the side effects will wear off, after a while of stomach rumbling but no 'hungry' message reaching my brain, I'm finally getting my apetite back and I don't keep waking up during the night now either, I want my sex drive to come back too!

I know this isn't particularly reassuring but there's a good side: steady mood, not waking up thinking 'Oh my God, what am I doing with my life?' smiling uncontrollably and people find it easier to approach & talk to you. Having more energy.

But I do understand that Prozac can increase anxiety and no one can appreciate that more than you right now. I never used to stress in the evenings but guess what-I do now but I'm at the start and I see more pros than cons.

Nobody seems to mention that the real doubt about being on Prozac, despite the fact it's one of the most popular medications in the world is that you have to commit to a drug, depend on it and it's rare that we as patients undergo that kind of programme. It's us that will be affected even though everyone is saying 'it'll be okay, just keep taking them'. There are times I think 'I can't quit now I'll get the shakes' so you can feel a bit trapped when you don't know if it's worth the lows.

I agree the anxiety does increase but I'm not sure how much of that is in my personal life, there's a guy who likes me and I don't even know if I like him or not because my anxiety about choking makes me want to run a mile whoever it is. Keep the faith sweetheart, always remember it's your decision, your choice, your control. Take care. X