PDA

View Full Version : Fear of mammograms

mindfulness
05-09-05, 02:02
I have a mammogram scheduled in two weeks and I have so much anxiety about it. Does anyone else experience major anxiety related to mammograms or other medical tests (mostly the waiting for results)? I try to avoid mammograms, but I have so many lumps (fibrocystic) and I've started obsessing on them, so I'm going through with it. I have OCD too, so I just think about it almost every wakingmoment and wonder how I'll get through it.

Quirky
05-09-05, 11:01
Hi there,
I've never had a mammogram, have to start them when I'm 40 due to having an increased risk of the disease. I will be scared but will have them as it's always better to catch anything early.
In general though I get anxious about medical tests, especially if they are in any way invasive and I think waiting for the results is almost as bad as waiting for the test.
Good luck with the mammogram,
LJ

Meg
05-09-05, 15:21
Glad you're going for it. I think its really normal for anyone to really worry about tests results

Good luck

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

katieb
05-09-05, 16:37
Hi
You are not on your own! I am at the moment having a 24 hour BP monitor on, as my blood pressure has been raised since my 2nd daughter. I could not sleep last night as I knew it was going to be today, and I will not get a lot tonight because it goes off every hour around the clock. I have got so stressed over this and know my readings are higher than normal. I will probably be put on to more medication as BP runs in my family and I suffer with general anxiety too. I am trying to keep calm but it does not help that it feels really uncomfortable when I am trying to relax. Am counting the hours till it comes off, then dread to find out my results. Has anyone else had this?

seh1980
05-09-05, 16:54
Good luck with the mammogram!! It's normal to feel nervous about the results. I think most people would be. All the best!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

lynette
09-09-05, 21:23
hi,
Im like you while waiting for results i am out of control of my life because i worry so much that theres going to be bad news.so bad i cant talk, eat, sleeo, consuntrate,actually feel phisically sick. I know this is the vivid gallery but it still happens. All the best. lyn

Elaine1
17-09-05, 19:21
Hi Mindfulness,

Hope you get this message before your mammogram.

I have had to have regular mammograms for years now, along with blood tests and on occasions other awful tests, the thought is always 'hear we go again', but thinking positively, it has been to check everything is OK and it's for my own good.

BUT

I always get anxious a couple of weeks prior to them, shout at my children and hubby and generally am horrid to live with, can't sleep and in the daytime it's there nagging at me, I know it's just anxiety.

You will get through it, you have in the past, you know your consultant is keeping an eye on you for all the best reasons.

Think of something nice to do afterwards, so you have something to look forward to.

Hope it all goes well.

Will be thinking of you.

with love and best wishes

Elaine

mindfulness
18-09-05, 18:20
Thanks to all who responded. I got called back for a sonogam and diagnostic mammogram. I went into a total panic, but the imaging place was so nice about my anxiety. They agreed to do both tests the next day! Everything was fine, but I wnet through a rough day or two.

Elaine1
18-09-05, 18:51
Really good to hear all went well, all behind you now.

Well done!

Take Care

Elaine