PDA

View Full Version : Any ladies here had a hysterectomy?

countrygirl
15-06-09, 17:56
I am 48 yrs old and been perimenopausal past 2 yrs with weird bleeding patterns of nothing for months then bleed constantly for couple of months or more. I had tests 18 months ago and told it was hormone imbalance but I didn't want to go onto any artificial hormones becuase of family history of breast cancer - gyny said only other option was hysterectomy but I said I would put up with it.
Well have got to end of my tether because after 5 months bleed free I have been bleeding for over 3 mnths now. The last 2 weeks have been very heavy . My GP sent me for ultrasound scan two weeks ago which showed very large cyst on right ovary and bulky womb lining but nothing obviously sinister - I started bleeding heavily a couple of days after scan- up to then it had been three months of light to almost nothing.
My Gp said the cyst looks just a normal fluid cyst that may go away on its own but is big enough that they won't want to leave it. She said gyny would probably tell me I need hysterectomy and I see him week today.
GP did offer me artificial progesterone tablets to see if it stops the bleeding and thena fter you stop taking them you get another bleed.
Having looked them up I am very wary as it says you can get bad headaches - fast weight gain- sore breasts and should be used in caution with history of breast cancer and ovarian cysts! But every day I am getting one episode of sudden flooding with huge clots:blush: lasting about 4 hrs then back to lighter again.
Even though I am terrifeid of a big operation which the hyserectomy is I am so fed up that I just wish I could have it soon - I wondered if anyone on here had had one and could tell me about it. I know quite a few women who have had it and once they recovered they said it was best thing they had done but I wish I didn't have to be there when they did it:)
So far I am worrying I won't survive aneathetic - something go wrong in op - blood clot afterwards - bladder damaged in op etc etc etc.

Louise21
15-06-09, 18:38
Hi,
Had one 5 years ago and so glad I did!
I recovered quicker than I thought.
If you would like to pm me, I can be more specific.
x

kath135
15-06-09, 20:45
Hi I had a hysterctomy when I was 27 I'm now 43 because of my age the surgeon decided to do the operation up through my ( you know what) rather then leave me with a scar! I had very few problems and only spent 5 days in hospital. It's such a common operation now, years ago women would spend weeks in hospital and months recovering, Nowadays women are back to work within weeks. My overies were left behind so I didnt go through the change at such a young age and I was told that I would probably need hrt by the age of thiry, I'm 43 now and everything is still in working order. I can fully understand your worry, I worried too but everything will be ok. :bighug1:

countrygirl
15-06-09, 22:52
Thanks both - nice of you to reply. After another flooding episode this afternoon I think I will be begging gyny when I go on Monday!
I have checked the hospital waiting times for this op and its quite short about 6 weeks from GP referral to gyny to getting the op which is a bit scary as well.
I really cannot go on like this bleeding all the time because eventually I will get aneamic - thankfully my body is super efficient at getting iron out of my food but there is a limit. It is costing me a fortune in sanitary ware as well:)

valleybear
16-06-09, 18:54
I had a hysterectomy about 15 years ago as, like you I was flooding so badly that sometimes i could not get out of the car and had to turn round and go home again to change! I also had cystic ovaries and had had a large cyst removed 10years before when i was only 36. I recovered really well from the hysterectomy and it was such a relief to be able to go about daily life without all the inconvenience, pain and distress. Good luck if you decide...you will be absolutely fine. XX

suel
06-08-09, 09:16
Hi there, sorry to hear your in such a panic about the op, I had a total hyst 6 years ago, due to severe endometriosis, i was 42, i suffered for many years with heavy periods, depression, migraine, bowel pain, etc etc...it was a living nightmare, I totally understand your anxiety in regard to the operation, but I can honestly say, it was the best thing I ever (eventually) did, I was scared like you, its normal to feel this way, but to be honest i was so desperate by then that i was so looking forward to feeling better afterwards, that is what i focused on, and thats what got me through, It really isnt so bad, it took me a couple of days to get walking about, and about a week to be able to walk about properly again, i was put on HRT straight away, and never felt so good for a long time, my problem now is how to come off the darn stuff, as my doctor wants me to wean off,...but thats another story..good luck..:)