PDA

View Full Version : Colonoscopy tomorrow - need sympathy!!

Ddcoo
16-06-09, 09:52
Hi all, I don't very often come on here and ask for help, but I am a bit jittery today about having the colonoscopy tomorrow and thought that a few of you might understand. In a couple of hours I have the first laxative sachet (Citramag) and then the fun will start and I am not looking forward to it.
I know most of you get anxious about going for various procedures and wondered if anyone could give me a bit of sympathy.

I have been having stabbing pains in my left lower stomach for months now and I know this is the best way of checking what is wrong (I'm hoping its IBS), but it is not particularly nice having a camera put up where the sun doesn't shine. My appointment is at 9am tomorrow and I am planning to get to hospital just after 8 am. Thanks to all of you to listening to my ramblings.

countrygirl
16-06-09, 10:14
Grit your teeth and remember it will all be over by mid morning tomorrow. I had one last summer and by far the worst bit is the day before and the prep the proceedure itself was a picnic for me - I had had a terrible time with a sigmoidoscoy that was agonisingly painful purely due to the Dr who did it so as you can imagine was terrified of the colonoscopy even though i had asked for a different Dr and they had been very sympathetic and it was obvious there were issues with the first Dr. So the proceedure was over in no time and not even very painful - all that worry for nothing.
As I said the prep was horrible and made me feel very ill - talk about a sore bum:) it made my eyes water and I got a banging headache as well but the prep is very hard on your body. I remember after taking the first dose and getting a nasty shock spending three hours attached to the loo that I was so dreading the second dose but I gritted my teeth and took it and no it wasn't any better but at lease it wasn't a shock!

so I would imagine by now you have taken your first dose and are sat on the loo - doubt you will read this for a few hours but don't worry about tomorrow that the easy part today is the hard one.

Good luck and hope all is normal like mine was and you have all my sympathy having been threre done that:hugs:

Ddcoo
16-06-09, 10:48
:huh: Thank you so much Countrygirl for replying, you really have helped and I am very grateful. I haven't taken the powder yet, I take it at 12 noon and the next one at 4pm, so I have a couple of hours yet before I take up my position on the throne!! I have had a colonoscopy before, but it was in 2005 and you forget what it was like, so the anxiety is a bit high today, but as you say, just grit the teeth and get on with it. I have the jar of Vaseline ready and the headache tablets. I'm just filliing myself up with Lucozade and sugary drinks as they suggest drinking as much as possible to rehydrate the system. Mind you I found last time when it was all over that I felt really cleansed and well for about a week afterwards, as it does give you a good de-tox. So at least I have that to look forward to.

I am sorry you had such a bad time with the sigmoid, I have had a couple of those in the past with no pain, what rotten luck to have someone who was not doing to procedure properly. I know there is bad discomfort with the colonoscopy, it is caused by air being forced into the bowel when they put the scope round the bends, but it is no worse than a bad period cramp for a few seconds, so I know there is nothing to be scared off, but as you say, today is the worst day with the preparation. I do appreciate your reply to me and I will be reading it a few times today, thanks again. x

laurat
16-06-09, 11:45
You will be fine. I had one last year and by far the worst was the preparation and the panicking. The nurses were fab and looked after me really well...even bringing me a wheat free sandwich. Plus you have the added bonus of having the best tasting meal ever afterwards! And lots of sympathy from people:) Focus on thinking after procedure (though I know thats easier said than done) You will be fine! Good Luck.

leah22
16-06-09, 12:05
Hi ya, i had a sigmoidoscopy last week,i was sooooooo scared i had to be at hospital for 8.30am was home by 10.45am and although a little uncomfortable if i had to do it again 2morrow i would.

Good luck and let us know how you get on x x

nanny
16-06-09, 13:22
I can't really help you on this but wish you all the luck in the world and hope all goes well.:)

Ddcoo
16-06-09, 13:30
To: Countrygirl, Laurat, Leah & Nanny. You are so great all of you and have lifted my spirits today, thank you so much. I have taken the first sachet of
Citramag and have a few tummy rumblings but haven't been on the throne yet, but I know that will start in earnest after the 2nd sachet at 4pm. It is so good to get support at a time:hugs: like this and I hope in turn that I can be of some help to you all when you need it. Bless you.

countrygirl
16-06-09, 13:35
Ddcoo - hope your prep is better than mine was - I don't know yours and some are gentler than others. I had the worst of the lot it was called Fleet:D obviously by someone with a nasty sense of humour - I had a good laugh with the nurse at the hospital before the test and she told me there were different levels of clear out and fleet was the best as far as Dr was concerend as it cleared every tube from the feet up:winks: but wasn't suitalbe for old people or anyone with health problems as it was too good. So hopefully yours is one of the genttler ones.

How big is your pot of vaseline:blush:

Ddcoo
16-06-09, 14:14
:noangel: Hello again Countrygirl, good to hear from you again today, especially with your sense of humour. The Fleet you took could possibly see me off then, as I am 65 years of AGE IN BODY AND 21 IN HEART, with a bad knee to boot.
If I took fleet then maybe my dicky knee wouldn't speed me to the bathroom quick enough eh? The Citramag I have taken tends to start working properly after having the second sachet which will be after 4 pm, but then I am going at regular intervals all evening and all through the night, with it finally abating as I get to Hospital. The pot of Vaseline is only a little one, it was all I could get from the supermarket on Sunday. I checked the pots I had in store and they are all out of date, but in an emergency, if needs must then I will use them, I don't suppose it will make much difference. At a push I have some motor oil in the garage (ha ha).

It has been a long day today, I have just stayed on the computer to take my mind off what is happening, and it has been much better than I thought, I know the worst is to come, but I can just keep checking my thread and be spurred on by all your help. Thank you once again so much.

nomorepanic
16-06-09, 14:29
I had the Fleet one and OMG I never left the bathroom lol.

I wish you well with it cos I know it is not a nice thing to go through but hopefully will put your mind at ease once it is done.

I have Crohn's so I am sure I will have many more of these to come in the future!

Ddcoo
16-06-09, 15:34
Hello Nicola, a special thank you to you for contributing to my cheering up today, I think I am getting away with it lightly so far, but have to take the 2nd powder in half an hour, and then it will be all "go". Its such a pleasure to contact you direct as you are our "great leader". Without you we would all be worse off. It is all your hard work that everyone gets support here and I would like to take this opportunity of thanking you so VERY MUCH. I know you have a lot of health issues of your own, but you are always there for us.

I don't think I would have like that Fleet stuff that you had to have, it sounds so viscious so thank goodness that York hospital hands out something milder.

I do hope that you are recovering from your heart attack and getting plenty of TLC and that your other problems are under control. If anyone wants to ask me any questions after tomorrow I will be more than willing to help.

Again, thanks to all of your for today, will be thinking of you all tomorrow while I'm lying of the table having my "photo" taken, but I won't send any copies out.

Thanks again Nicola and I wish you the very best of health in the future. xx

countrygirl
16-06-09, 17:46
Ddcoo i am wondering how you are doing now - somehow I think you might not read this post till tomorrow:)
I am so glad they have given you the milder prep - nicola is right the fleet is unbelievable - I can move very fast when needed and I literally sat on a chair right next to the loo and by a fraction of a second managed to get the knickers off and would then have to spend up to 10 mins sat on the loo and boy are loo seats uncomfortable. The worst bit was then cleaning up:blush: no pot of vaseline is big enough and it did literally make me go ooh ahh and my eyes water for about 5 mins afterwards. This laster about 2 hrs and then I would get 10 mins then 15 mins between until things calmed down.

The worst bit was next morning having to get to hsopital as its over an hours drive away:scared15: I even took a large bucket with me with a lid just in case:roflmao: but thankfully didn't need it. How on earth I would have used it goodness knows but needs must as they say.

Let us know how you get on tomorrow - thinking of you

nomorepanic
16-06-09, 18:31
Aww thanks for the kinds words Ddcoo. :hugs:

I am doing ok at the moment. Crohn's is in remission so it is back to work soon - booo! Can't say I am looking forward to it. Been off 9 months now!

They have never been able to do a full colonoscopy on me as they got "stuck" on the bendy bit lol but I still remember it well and can't say it was the most pleasant thing I had done. I had a half dose of sedation as they said it would hurt but to be honest it didn't make much difference and yes it hurt a lot :blush:

I mean your bum is sore from the day before so they go and shove a tube up it - now what is that all about! :roflmao:

Good luck and hope you are coping ok?

Ddcoo
16-06-09, 19:06
Hello again Countrygirl and Nicola, well I am still here and have sufficient time to do another post to you both. I feel a fraud really because I am having an easy time of it this time, been 5 times so far starting at 4.45pm but I am not getting the urgency to go like I did on the two previous occasions, no sore bum either, maybe I am speaking too soon, I don't know, I just hope that the bowel is going to be sufficiently cleared tomorrow. When I had it before, I used to have to run to the loo, but this time it's more like a gentle stroll. I know what you mean about the journey to hospital, an hours trip would have freaked me out. The last time I had an old towel underneath some plastic pants "just in case", but didn't need them, but it is only a 10 min ride to the hospital for me. I feel as though I have made a big fuss over nothing today, but I must admit that I am a lot calmer this time, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Nicola, I am so pleased to hear that your Crohn's is in remission, I understand it is a very painful thing. So you have got to get back to work and earn a crust again eh? It is nice being at home, but there is nothing like a bit of human company as well, so I wish you well. I think the colonoscopy hurts whether the sedation is heavy or light. I'll give you an update tomorrow on how I got on.

I am sloshing with fluids at the moment, I've got through bottles of lemonade, Lucozade, orange squash and water, but no GIN!!

Again, sincere thanks to you both and everyone else for keeping my spirits up today. I told my better half when he got home from work how good you had all been, and he thought that was lovely. God bless, Di x

nomorepanic
16-06-09, 19:35
Di

After the procedure they gave me some toast and it tasted lovely! Best toast ever cos I was starving hungry by then and starting to feel grotty with it too.

Are you expecting them to find something? Just wondering why you are having this done?

stressed2000
16-06-09, 20:25
I had one done last year and it was a piece of cake. The only hard part was the prep the day before and that you could not eat till it was done. The Doctor put me to sleep and the next thing I new I was in the recovery room. The funny part of my was that I was scheduled for 8 am and it got bumped to 11 am and it took about 4 hours to finish. So boy was I hungry when I woke up.

Wish you the best of luck

fairyloveheart
16-06-09, 21:16
Sending you lots of tea and sympathy. I have only had a sigmoidoscopy but can sympathise with the procedure! I think they are fairly similar. It was so much worse in my head than the actual thing and I am sure it will go just fine!
Best wishes for tomorrow

FLH xxx

Ddcoo
17-06-09, 12:24
Hi Girlies, I'm back so I will fill you in with the procedure. Had 20 trips to the loo in all, but would you believe with no "urgency or pain" and no sore bum, so I had an easy ride really. Got four hours sleep from 11pm - 3am and then couldn't get to sleep and was trotting off to the loo every half hour or so.
Got up at 6.30 and left for the hospital at 7.35 and was there before 8pm when the unit opens. Was the first one in and was "fast tracked" to get changed, do the necessary paperwork with the nurse and time for 2 more trips to the loo before going for the Colonoscopy at 9am. It took 35 mins and was the most uncomfortable one I have had done and he had to give me another dose of sedation but it didn't seem to make much difference, anyway I tried to keep my shouts to more of a growl. Went into recover area from 9.35am till 10.20 and was asked if I felt well enough to go home, I bit their hand off. My partner Keith came into the interview room with me for signing the release papers etc and we were on our way home at 10.50am and now I am tucked up in bed feeling very tired and very windy.

The outcome is that I have a kink in the bowel where the large bowel meets the small one and the consultant said that its probably IBS and nothing to worry about, but I will discuss the best thing to do for it when my doctor gets the results in a couple of weeks. There are no more polyps in my bowel as I had one removed in 2003, the bowel is clear and the best bit is that I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE UNLESS I REQUEST IT YIPEEEEEEE!!

So it's over and all I want now is something nice to eat and a bit of a kip.

Again, to all you girlies that put up with my ramblings of yesterday and gave me words of wisdom and encouragement, I thank you from the bottom (no pun intended) of my heart, and if you ever need an ear, mine is perched and ready for you. God bless you all. Love Di x

nomorepanic
17-06-09, 13:18
Aww Di I am so pleased it is all over with now and you are home again and relaxing.

I found it very painful as well but as I said they couldn't get round part of mine because of the abcesses I had at the time.

I am glad nothing sinister was found too.

Great news!

Ddcoo
17-06-09, 17:38
Thanks for the welcome home Nicola, it must have been awfully painful for your colonoscopy if you had an abcess, you do go through the mill don't you?

I have just been having a word with my other half now that I am coming out of the sedation, and he said I got the result wrong. The pains I have been getting in my left side since last October are probably IBS, but the kink in my bowel is on the other side where the large bowel meets the small bowel and apparently the nurse said it shouldn't give any real problem and she suggested that it was stress that is causing the pains, so what's new eh?Without stress I wouldn't have anything to stress about, I have always been a worrier and I doubt I will change now at my age, but I am trying very hard to think positively and cope with my "biggie" at the moment which is travelling more than 3 hours away from home. Had some counselling this year but I didn't learn any more than I already know, so its back to the drawing board.

I shall be sorry to finish this thread now that my tale has come to an end, I have very much enjoyed all your company, so now I will sign off as my better half has brought me up a bowl of rice pudding to ease my very sore bowel as I feel as though I have been kicked by a donkey!!

Best of luck to everybody that has been following the saga and I know I keep saying it, but thanks to you all for your support. Di x

Ddcoo
17-06-09, 18:38
Nicola, I know this is the wrong place, but I am useless on the computer, just a silver surfer, but I would love an avatar and wouldn't have a clue how to apply for one, so is it possible that I could have the cutest teddy bear you can find, as I collect bears. If this isn't possible, then don't worry, I will try and do it the proper way. Grateful thanks, Di x

nomorepanic
17-06-09, 19:27
Hope you are feeling a bit better now after some food and rest?

Avatars - do you know how to look on Google for images and paste a link in here?

I can then add it - not sure whether you wanted a cute real ted or a cartoon type one lol.

Ddcoo
18-06-09, 11:36
Hi Nicola, sorry I didn't get back to you last night, I was shattered. Feeling much better this morning and pottering around.

Re: Avatars, I haven't got a clue, can I paste, well .... yes, wallpaper and stuff into scrapbooks, but haven't a clue on computer, I would love a really cute bear please, but if not possible then a cartoon one would do. Sorry to
be such a pain, I know nothing, only how to type as I've done that since I was 16 yrs old. Any problems I get with this machine I refer to my significant other. If you can do me a bear I will leave the choice to you.

Hope you are feeling well this morning and enjoying your day. I'm trying to catch up with the housework as I have been inactive for a couple of days, why oh why can't men see muck?

Thank you so much for your help over this avatar, I promise I will ask someone how to do it soon. Di x

nomorepanic
18-06-09, 12:33
I meant to ask if you wanted a real bear or a teddy bear lol.

Here are a few anyway:

http://i.treehugger.com/files/Bear_21_op_800x751.jpg

http://www.arenaflowers.com/product_image/large/1262-honey_bear.jpg

http://www.adorablegiftbaskets.com/media/teddy-bear-chauncy

http://media.sayitwithbears.co.uk/img/bears/1221big.jpg

http://www.visitbathshop.co.uk/WebRoot/BT2/Shops/Store2_002E_Shop2108/4652/B9F6/BFA2/E9C8/F925/AC10/3D2A/44FA/TeddyWithBathrobe.JPG

Any of them any good lol?

Have you seen the teddy bears I sell in the online shop as well? www.nomorepanic.co.uk/shop (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/shop)?

Ddcoo
19-06-09, 15:44
Hi Nicola, have just come on the computer as I had to do some food shopping today and found the lovely pictures of the bears, please, please can I have the third one down, he is so much like the Gund bears I collect and thank you so much for doing this for me. I haven't looked at your shop so I will have a look later, no doubt a bear will want to come and live with me.

Had a bit of a problem yesterday and evening with awful diarrhoea, never had that before after the colonoscopy, so was very wary about going out today, but I had breakfast and risked it. Don't laugh but I have some plastic pants, so I put those on "just in case" and have only had a bit of cramp pain today, so I am hoping it will settle down now. What we have to go through eh?

I am so looking forward to my avatar bear, now I will have to think of a name for him. Love Di x

nomorepanic
19-06-09, 16:04
Ok he is all yours now!

I have had a bad 2 days as well and I haven't even had a colonoscopy lol. I have to be careful what I eat and I love fruit but it doesn't love my bowels lol and I have been to the loo most of yesterday and today! oops

I had to laugh about your plastic pants though.

You take care Di ok?

Ddcoo
19-06-09, 19:06
ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY BEAR Nicola, thank you so much, I don't suppose you would know if he is a Gund bear, was it just a picture on the Google, I would love to buy one of those. Anyone would think I was a kid, I just love bears - never had one when I was a kiddy as the war was on and toys were very scarce, so making up for it in my old age.

I will willingly share my plastic pants with you, let me know if you need a loan lol. So sorry that you have been having the same trouble as me, and like you I have to watch what I eat, especially fruit, even as a youngster I had problems with fruit. Good job I can't eat everything I want or I would be a lot bigger than I am. I've risked having some sprouts with tea tonight, am I mad or what?

Again thank you for your kindness and support and for my bear, no doubt we shall be in contact through the site again soon. Love Di x:hugs:

nomorepanic
19-06-09, 19:25
Hi again Di

I found him on this site but it is American

http://www.adorablegiftbaskets.com/gifts-for-women.html

If you want to see the ones I sell then go to :

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65&zenid=0520a103ddc4b5eedb85dcbf35f9027c

I am sure our paths will cross again too Di

Good luck with the future.

Ddcoo
19-06-09, 19:44
:yesyes: Nicola, thank you for giving me the site with the bear on, he is one of the Gund bears that I collect, but I will have to see if they have him on the UK site.

I have looked at your teddies and I like the dark on in the "Don't Panic" hoodie, so will have to get my other half to order one for me, I haven't a clue how to do it. I've just told him I will buy him the bear for Fathers Day, thats a good move isn't it.

Promise I won't pester you again. I have really enjoyed our correspondence and a big thank you too to all the other girls that geed me along this week.
I will take care and try not to stress so much. End of saga!! Love Di x

nomorepanic
19-06-09, 19:48
It was never pestering me Di at all.

It was a pleasure to help you out with the avatar etc

xxx

lonely
19-06-09, 20:04
w long did it take from your docs referral to the actual procedure? im dreading it :blush: