PDA

View Full Version : Throat/chest/acid reflux

ali8385
16-06-09, 13:29
Good afternoon,

Hope that things today haven't been too difficult in the world of Health Anxiety!

Just wanted to ask if anone on this wonderful website has had a similar situation as this...I have had a weird tickle in the right hand side (like someone tickling deep down in my throat, where the chest connects to the throat) I sometimes feels like I have heartburn on that side too. I have had this since I had a massive anxiety attack back in Octrober and this seems to have been left over after having the flu jab! I have no idea if it is connected at all...over the last week the right side of my neck hurts when I yawn (like a pulled muscle or a swollen gland but my glands do not feel swollen!) Sorry for rambling on!

So I went to the Dr on Friday who said after I had described my symptoms thought that it was acid reflux and prescribed me Ritimidine (sp?) and said to try them for a month and see if they help and if not to come back. He did also say that if I wanted I could have a camera down my throat or chect xray, however he asked about my level of excerise and when I said that I run 1.5 - 2 miles 4 times a week that it was highly unlikely that it was anything to do with my heart/chest etc. He said that he would recommend trying the tables first which I agree with.

I am 24 yrs old and feel very active and fit, just with the annoyance of this tickle! It kind of makes sense to me that it may be acid reflux as it does sometimes feel like heartburn. I don't have breathlessness although sometimes the feeling feels like a flutter and can make me breathless a little if I panic about it, which I understand would be perfectly natural! I am gettibg married in November and really want to enjoy the planning etc. without worrying about this! Arrgggghhhh...I hate health anxiety!

Can anyone relate to this? Any comments would be useful.

Many Thanks,

Ali

WILLIAMthedude
21-06-09, 16:33
Hey, It does seem that we have a similar condition here. Mine came on after I had finished a meal on Friday 19th... it might be some sort of muscular or tendon issue, I've been staying in resting my throat? Lol, sounds silly but it is annoying and I thought it would help... well, I can still feel the sensation so I will be seeing a doctor tomorrow.

I will let you know whats said.

ali8385
22-06-09, 17:57
Hi William,

Thanks for your reponse...how did you get on at the Dr? It is so frustrating isn't it!!
Ali

WILLIAMthedude
22-06-09, 22:29
The doctor believed that the sensations were caused by some irritation and that it would resolve on its own. This is my fourth day with it, and I will admit it is not as bad as it was first.

I just want to get completely over this and move forward! I tend to slow down whenever my anxiety flares up.

How long you had it neck issue and 'anxiety' generally?

ali8385
23-06-09, 12:38
Hi William,

Glad to hear that the appointment went well and that you seem to be on the mend. I have had anxiety and OCD all of my life that I can remember - sometimes better and at times worse...this latest bad bout of anxiety has been since July 08 so almost a year now! Which I have to admit has gone by so quickly! The neck stiffness/ache when yawning has only been there for around 10 day - 2 weeks. It gets better on and off and is not there when I go to bed and when I wake up first thing in the morning! Very bizzare but so is HA!

Hope that your's gets better quickly!

Ali

WILLIAMthedude
23-06-09, 13:40
The stiffness come on whether I yawn or not and there is a tickling sensation too that bothers me, and a little cheek stiffness. As a worrier the doc can expect another visit soon

ali8385
23-06-09, 14:04
Yep...I understand that fully...mine is annoyingly tickly. Also my stiffness is in the side kind of jaw/ear! Aahhgggg...oh how I hate anxiety!

WILLIAMthedude
23-06-09, 17:51
I've been wearing a scarf for three days now to support my neck... have you been outside today? It's one of the warmest days of the year! I would wear a neckbrace but I feel that'd be too much... Lol, besides, I only went a brief walk and out in the garden, am sure people will think of it as an odd fashion statement.

I'm just glad we are kinda the same age with the same sort of problem. I'd hate it if there was no one to relate to. I mean, my BMI is the best it could be, I eat well, try to keep fit... don't run though, was going to take that up last year before my anxiety started!

I just hate how all the little symptoms of anxiety can seem to make it feel worse and I totally get your frustration... such a nice day and I am too "meh" to enjoy it fully.

I am going to see the doctor again tomorrow to see if I do need a neckbrace or something, anyways, I'll let you know how that goes.

All the best!

ali8385
23-06-09, 18:16
Oh gosh, I couldn't agree more with you William...it's boiling out there! I've just got home from work and trying to think of something to do to take my mind off it...I like you am at my best BMI possible, I run every day as I find that my thoat feeling goes when I am doing that. I eat very well, I am veggie with fish and drink loads of water throughout the day...no unhealthy food at all...it's very frustrating!
Let me know how you get on at the DR's tomorrow.

Ali

WILLIAMthedude
24-06-09, 11:42
Well am back from a theraputic session at the Docs. Various things were looked over, all the nasties and really it came down to muscular tension & axniety. Its not a solution though, but we discussed possible solutions... like, not wearing collars that restrict movement, I was told that doctors are very against collars, I smirked but he was serious. Also, have you changed your sleeping conditions? This could strain the neck...even bad posture, slouching...

So I think working to those criteria will be beneficial, and staying possitive! I need to work on that from time to time.

Anyways, hurry up and get over this so you can tell me how quick you get over it...and enjoy planning the wedding! Exciting!

All the best.

ali8385
24-06-09, 14:04
Thank you so much for your response...I will let you know when mine gets better! Hopefully it won't be too much longer! You keep me updated too and think positively (easier said than done) and hope that your's goes soon too!

Ali

WILLIAMthedude
04-07-09, 11:02
Well, I am still experiencing tension but on the whole its not bothering me as much as it was, sort of put it to the back of my mind...just enjoying the nice weather...which was too nice recently! Lol, a little cooler now, yay!

How are things your way?