PDA

View Full Version : any advice or experiences?

freudian nightmare
16-06-09, 14:50
Hello,
just wondering if anyone has or is taking fluoxetine, only my doctor has prescribed me some this morning and i'm a bit apprehensive about taking meds if i'm honest as i've never had them before just always tried to cope without them, i've tended to have anxiety but now think i'm depressed and i'm struggling at the moment and still waiting for counselling but don't know how much longer i can wait without some help. My sister started taking meds years ago and they made her worse to be honest so i really don't know what to do, just need a bit of advice really if anyone knows anything about them, googled them and saw they can cause suicidal feelings which i don't like the sound of. Does anyone have any experiences on these meds for me, any advice would be appreciated. nan x

mave
16-06-09, 15:39
Hi there, I had Fluoxetine a few years back and I have been back on them for two and a half months again. For the first four weeks I didn't feel any better but I could see an improvement after that but it is hard to tell if you get used to the panic attacks which lead to depression or they help, I have not had any bad side effects so far.

I have not had a full blown attack for six to eight weeks until today, I had my teeth hurt suddenly and got funny eyes and then the panic went head to foot and I felt like I had cold water thrown at me. The first thing I did was take my pulse! It was missing beats so I then panicked, I still had to get 3 buses to get home and thought I would colapse and make a fool of myself. I got home OK and feel fine now.

All we can do is enjoy the days we are good and expect a spanner in the works sometimes - I have never stayed in the house, I will go out tomorrow as usual and if it's another bad day so be it. I don't think I will ever get used to it, like most other people it creeps up on me sometimes and gets the better of me.

Good luck x

sailor stripes
01-08-09, 20:39
Hi,

I started on Fluoxetine six days ago... the first couple of days I felt a little nauseous but that was about it. Days four and five were the worst for me as my anxiety and panic heightened, my heart was pounding and I felt like I was on another planet... however it feels as if it is starting to plateau out now and hopefully will start to improve in the next few weeks :)

All meds are different for different people though, I had a horrendous experience on Citalopram last year, but it's really helped some people. We all react to things differently.

All I can say is don't be scared - it's there to help and you're under supervision from your doctor, and if you feel uncomfortable at any point just go back and see them. There are plenty of different SSRIs out there, it just might take a bit of jiggery pokery to get it right :) x

Mich1111
01-08-09, 22:03
I found my anxiety was worse for the first 2 weeks but then it kicked in and the depression lifted - I am still anxious but not like I was, I couldnt leave the house before - the depression has lifted. I know its different for different people - I really didnbt want to go back on medication but really had no choice. The side effects were worth it though I can function again.

wilfie
05-08-09, 23:00
i have been on fluositine 20mg for nearly 4 weeks now and am amazed how much better i feel. I am much less anxious and feel so much calmer and able to cope with the hurly burly of life !! The only side effect is tiredness and an overwhelming desire to sleep ! This is passing tho and I have to say i wish i had gone on these amazing tablets years ago . I have only positive things to say (apart from tiredness which is getting less) . All I can say is give them a go and i wish you all the best xx:yesyes: