PDA

View Full Version : Telling people

mike339
16-06-09, 18:01
So I've been having panic attacks for about a year and a half now and the latest set were down to worrying about my girlfriend. We've only been together a few months and I told her about my panic attacks at the start. However I assumed they were done with and didn't think they'd be back.

I was worried that she was going off me or was annoyed with me (just in general, not anxiety related) and these worries got bigger and more ridiculous in my head. I never told her this because she is the sort of person who would tell me if there was a problem so there obviously isn't. I couldn't shake the feeling that I wasn't good enough for her or that she could do better.

However when she went into hospital due to complications with her diabetes last week I had a full blown panic attack at work and virtually ground to a halt. I could almost visualise a huge wall that I couldn't get past and basically shut down. She has since come out of hospital and is recovering well.

Problem is I need to explain to her how my anxiety will make me worry more than the average person. She tells me not to worry and to stop apologising. I can understand how it could be annoying but I genuinely can't help it. I am so worried to talk to her about my anxiety and my panic attacks because I've tried for the past year to battle it without medication. I'm going to the doctors tomorrow and I think they will prescribe me something. I'm so scared to tell her so much about myself in case I scare her away or she thinks I'm some sort of freak if I need medication. Has anyone else dealt with a similar situation?

lorac
16-06-09, 18:14
Mick I am sure your girlfriend wont change the way she feels about you if you tell her about your anxiety and panic. It sounds as if you have a good relationship and I always think it is best to be honest with each other. If she is the right person for you then knowing will not scare her away, she will be able to support you and give you reassurance if she is aware.

Glad to hear your girlfriend is getting better, the worry of all that would have made your anxiety worse, talk to her I am sure she will understand.

Carol