PDA

View Full Version : gagging/wretching

tidymatt
17-06-09, 09:49
does anyone else do this? i get it every day, mostly mornings, and it usually results in throwing up, when i first go out in the morning, or just sat at home. I think my throat is blocked in some way or i'm gonna pass out etc. why why why

spacebunnyx
17-06-09, 11:43
Hi, there, I had this really badly about a year ago and it lasted six months. Constantly retching and bring up bile etc. Felt like hands were around my throat and I couldn't swallow properly and once it was down it came back up again. It was all anxiety!! I was amazed at what my mind can make my body do - bloody scary!! :blush:

jess xxx

T89
17-06-09, 12:09
I only get this when I'm really stressed out and I hate it.It must be horrible to have it every day. Although lately I've been getting that gagging feeling whenever I eat something solid because when I try to swallow I feel like I can't and panic. I'm now convinced I have something in my throat even though I had globus for a few weeks a while back as well.

It's horrible this anxiety nonsense! Hope you feel better soon.

jessieblue
17-06-09, 12:11
Hi, I havn'thad the wretching, but I suffer with nausea all the time. I too wonder if I have a growth in my throat or stomach. I am afraid I will vomit in the future if it gets worse.

Jess, what did you do to overcome this? Did you have to have tests etc to rule out anything sinister? Did you manage to live a relatively normal life despite it? Sorry for all the questions but it really helps to get info from someone who has been there and survived. XX

miss_moose
17-06-09, 16:02
So glad someone else has posted about this. I've have been in despair over the past few years retching, gagging and sometimes bringing something up (possibly phlegm), it happendd most mornings, it goes on for months after a cold.
It's also become a new symptom of panic for me which has made me even more scared to go out.
Your not alone in this at all xxx

tidymatt
17-06-09, 16:24
cheers people. It is nasty as!!! when it happens first thing in the morning, it kinda starts the day out on a bad note, and when you suffer from anxiety, the snowball effect begins. would love to know how to get over it

T89
17-06-09, 21:16
Has anybody had it where they physically can't swallow for a minute or so?
Thanks

Yeah I've got this just now.I can't swallow unless I have a drink with me and it has caused me to start gagging with it so I'm trying not to eat any really dry foods for the next few days because I feel like I'm going to choke.Just keep a drink with you when you're eating is all I can really advise.

Kerrigan
17-06-09, 21:59
I used to not go out or not go anywhere w/o a public toilet because I was scared of being sick, I realise now it was just a form of social anxiety. I always feel like there's something at the back of my throat so I swallow repeatedly, I mean ALL the time until my throat begins to ache and the soft palate burns.

I honestly don't know what to do relax, I've tried all the usual techniques such as meditation, affirmations and self-hypnosis but they don't seem to penetrate my mind as deeply as this swallowing tic. I always revert back to that no matter how much I tow the self-help line.

spacebunnyx
18-06-09, 09:20
Hi,

I developed it after getting told I had cervical precancer - it lasted such a long time - horrible experience.

The main thing that helped me get over it was time - I had tests (barium swallow and fluroscopy) but to be honest the reassurence didn't help much because I always think "they could have missed something" :blush:

What did help was the relisation that I didn't get it first thing when I woke up or when I was asleep - made me realise that perhaps it was not a physiological thing and was probably something in my head! Also, my grandmother had a bowel cancer scare and I was so worried about her that I felt silly being worried about me.

I definitaly think that stepping away from your worries and thinking about what other people in the world are going through puts so perspective on things (something that some of us lack with health anxiety!)

hope you feel better soon.

love jess xxx