PDA

View Full Version : Emetephobia and IBS meds

pooch
17-06-09, 18:38
Hi. My name is Rachel and this is the 1st post I've made on here.
I have suffered from emetephobia for many years but for some reason it has got a lot worse recently. I have actually booked in to see a hypnotherapist at the weekend with the hope that he will help me overcome my phobia.

I have been diagnosed with IBS and I was on medication that wasn't working, so today my GP changed my meds to something called Spasmonal Forte. (Alverine Citrate 120mg.) As usual, I decided to read the side-effects and discovered that they include possible nausea and dizziness- great!

I haven't started taking them as I know that as soon as I do I will worry. I am on my own tonight and my panic is always worse in the evening anyway.

Has anyone else taken these and had side-effects? I don't know whether to just be brave and get on with it (easier said than done!) and have the Pepto-Bismol standing by just in case, or to wait until I have seen the hypnotherapist. I also keep thinking daft things like; "if they do make me feel sick, when will it start?"!

Please can anyone give me any help or advice?

Thank you.

Angelai
17-06-09, 20:30
Hi Rachel, :welcome: to the site!

I have emetophobia and ibs too - and no way can I force myself to take ANYTHING that lists nausea or related as even a possible side effect. So, I haven't taken the med you've got, I just wanted to let you know you're not crazy or alone :winks:

Does your gp know about the emet? They may be able to prescribe an anti-emetic, just in case. I carry over the counter ones with me everywhere.

On a (slightly) more positive note, I think most meds list nausea as a possible side effect, and most of them don't make you feel bad. I know how hard it is to take the plunge though, so don't feel pressured.

Good luck, let us know what you decide/how you get on!

:hugs:

pooch
17-06-09, 21:23
Hi. Thanks for your reply. It is nice to know there are people out there who can empathise, but a shame we are all going through this!

I told one GP about the emetephobia and she didn't seem to take much notice, but she did prescribe me Mebeverine and said "these have very few side-effects" which was true, but they also had no effect! I didn't tell the doc I saw today, not sure why I didn't.

I actually didn't know about anti-emetics. Maybe if this continues I will ask for some but I have got my fingers crossed the hypno will work!!

pooch
23-06-09, 12:01
Well, I started taking the new tablets on Sunday morning and haven't had any feelings of sickness! I am meant to be taking 3 a day, though, and only took 2 on Sun and yesterday. I am going to take 3 today.

As for the hypnotherapy, I thought for a couple of days that it had worked; I didn't have as much anxiety and certainly didn't have any full-blown panic attacks. Unfortunately last night I had indigestion and convinced myself I felt sick, which led to a panic attack, and today I am feeling really anxious again.

I am going to go back for another session of hypno as this guy reckons he can get rid of all phobias and help with anxiety. I hope so, as I just feel really fed up now!