PDA

View Full Version : Fear of being assaulted

maro111
17-06-09, 19:08
Hi I was wonderring if anybody else had a fear of being assaulted on a night out. I have social anxiety and I assume it is related to this, or it could just be a seperate phobia. For me, if i was to go out for the night, I would worry about being attacked etc, as much as I would having to talk to people.

I dont know where this has come from, as I have never been assaulted on night out (although a couple of my friends have).

Do anybody else have this?

Cheers
Mark

maro111
17-06-09, 19:38
Hi Nicki

Thanks for the reply. your right, the state of the world at the moment certainly dosent help. I think the media has alot to do with it, way to much emphasis on the bad things in life. If we believed what we are told in the papers and tv news, we would never leave the house!

I try not to think about it, but dont go out at night now, so think it has beaten me (for now) :)

maro111
17-06-09, 19:50
yeah it is good to know that not alone with it. Tbh most people even without anxiety probably have concerns about it, its just a case of not letting it control life, like all anxieties.

I promised a couple of friends i would go to Krakow in Poland with them for long weekend next month. Even now I am worried about the nights out. Unfortunately (i didnt pick the place) there are meant to be alot of stag do's there, which means los of drinking and loudness :weep:

maro111
17-06-09, 21:52
on edge is the perfect way to describe it!! I always try to be positioned near any police. Feel so much relief when they about!! It is best to keep your head down, you only need to look at some people the wrong way!!

Kerrigan
17-06-09, 22:17
It's interesting you use the term 'I think it has beaten me' it reveals how this phobia is playing on your subconscious coming through in a Freudian slip. This fear is relatively normal, it's healthy but the degree of fear is not because it's jeopardized your leisure time. I think it's an extension of social anxiety because being caught up in trouble on a night out is the 1 thing you feel you can't control, if you have social anxiety you can overcome it step by step because you control the expose but a fight? Thats the opposite of social restraint. Don't let it win, use the 'proximity to police' tactic and enjoy yourself with friends you can trust

maro111
17-06-09, 22:35
Thanks Kerrigan for the message!!!

I think your spot on that the fear is healthy and normal, and probably essential, but the level of fear is too much and ruining the leisure time. Your right that the main worry about being assaulted is that i would have no control over it. I was walking down the road with my mate in uni a few yrs back and for no reason someone just walked past and punched him in the mouth!!!. I think it is a very realistic fear these days, just not to be kept in proportion.

I think the proximity to police tactic might be the way to go!! :)