PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else find themselves doing this?

justbananas
18-06-09, 01:49
i think i've done it for years. sometimes if i'm sitting in the car (passenger side) or watching tv or just hanging out, i'll notice that i'm clenching my right fist without intending to. i guess it's tension or anxiety or whatever. and now sometimes i'm noticing weakness in that hand. maybe it's because i'm always clenching it without realizing it?

anyone ??

majdle
18-06-09, 11:02
Hello, yes, I´m doing this, too - to the point when people actually notice and ask. But in fact, I´ve had it ever since early puberty and it´s a part of my anxiety. When you´re anxious, you´re tense and the tension causes that. Also the lack of magnesium can do that to you. Try to take some magnesium or eat some chocolate (a great source of it and...doesn´t it feel good to be told that choc is god for ya?) :-)

justbananas
18-06-09, 14:07
thanks! do you just find yourself doing it while resting?

majdle
18-06-09, 14:18
yes, that´s the thing - my palm goes automatically into a clenched fist when I relax.

Mondie
18-06-09, 14:18
I clench my fists and teeth all the time even when I'm resting, I guess I must be tense more than I think I am!

I have to keep myself i check and unclench everything, I even caught myself doing it during a back massage!!

justbananas
18-06-09, 15:54
i only do it with my right hand usually (my dominant hand) - is that weird?

agingwuss
18-06-09, 17:15
I do it with my right hand too - altho' I do do it with my left occasionally. I've tried every sort of relaxation technique and I still find myself doing it all the time.
And I grind my teeth when I'm asleep - to the point that [about 15 years ago] I cracked one of my back molars right through & it had to be taken out!
I'm a hopeless case :blush: