PDA

View Full Version : Self Harming????

MVP123
18-06-09, 12:00
Just wondering if anyone else can identify with this. I am still having a buzzing, dizzy, fritzing head, and I now also have a lump in my throat, which obviously I have now started worrying about. I think it could do with the onset of a cold or virus, but I have had it for a few days now, and have had no other cold symptoms except the odd sneeze. Can it take a while for other symptoms to come out as such. This is on top of me having pressure behind my nose for a few weeks now, which makes me feel like I wanna sneeze but I very rarely do, it drives me mad.

Also don’t know if this is classed as self harming, but I don’t want it to progress any further. What I have started doing is wearing an elastic band around my wrist and pulling it, this was initially to wake me up at work as I have been so very tired, but now the very short burst of pain I have been getting has been temporarily relieving me of my head symptoms, well not relieving exactly, just directs my attention elsewhere for like a second or two. Has anyone got any advice on this or can identify with me, I really need someone to talk to about this….

GemmaAnn
18-06-09, 12:41
Hey,

I know what you are talking about with the ditzy/dizzy head - its not pleasant but you can virtually guarantee that its due to anxiety, and thats proven by the fact that while your attention is elsewhere the symptom dissapears for a few seconds. You are right, the lump in your throat is most likely due to a cold or virus, but not every virus has to have the same symptoms, its perfectly likely that you will just have raised glands and a bit of pressure in your sinuses and then it will heal by itself, never having presented any further issues for you.

In regards to the elastic band, yes it can be a form of self harm and I think sometimes people do do this as it doesnt leave a mark like cutting or something would. The lines here are blurred as though you dont sound like you actually want to hurt yourself, it doesnt mean that you arent hurting yourself. behaviour like this can become addictive and I would reccomend that you try to find another way to distract yourself from your symptoms, as though harmless at the moment you wouldnt want it to develop.

I hope I have helped in some way,
always around to chat :)
Gem

Thumbelina
18-06-09, 13:17
when you have had anxiety for some time, you get over some of them, and then when you run out of pathetic anxieties you start creating our own ones. Remember anything, ANYTHING can become the subject of anxiety. I your case it is the fear of selfharm. You are concentrating on this rist band, and it created and anxiety in your mind.

People biting nails, smoke, drink, they are harming themselves, and some of them do not worry about it and do not consider it as self harm.

Do not concentrate on your lastic band, and after a while you will forget it was ever there.