PDA

View Full Version : Propanalol/Mirtazapine/Amitriptyline

banana
18-06-09, 13:52
Hi, I am on Mirtazapine 45mg at night and also Propanalol 30mg daily and my GP has just prescribed Amitriptyline 25mg at night to help me sleep, has anybody else taken this along with Propanalol?

Thanks
:D

Thumbelina
18-06-09, 14:06
You have to trust your doctor in his choices and then see how it goes yourself.

I was on 20mg Mirtazipine for 8 months, worked wavy for me. and 10mg of propaolol at the same time. Then anxiety encreased and became too much for me and stopped working at all. After break started cipralex and been on it for 3 y. Mirtazipine though is considered a good innovative medication, and especially for children, young people and adults.

As for the amitriptiline, it is antipsychotic and generally can be taken with the antidepressant (mirtazipine in your case) and propanolol in to stop the increased heartbeats and to cam you phisically. Amitriptiline made me very loopy when I took it for 2 days. I was undergoing a pretty traumatic period and needed sedation, but amitirptiline was too much even for me then.

See how you feel, depends on the level of your anxiety and depression and symptoms. Maybe you really need them all together.

if you trust your doctor, then he is right.

Take care

banana
18-06-09, 14:31
Thanks for that, just a bit worried re the side effect of Amitriptyline being increased heart rate/beats, is that something you got when taking this?

Thanks
Banana:yesyes:

Thumbelina
18-06-09, 15:19
i had with mirtazipine and i was having them very often.
Thats why he presctribed propanalol to decrease heart rate.

Amitriptiline is good for panic states. It can possibly give all sorts of side effects as well.

spike 1
18-06-09, 16:49
I to take mirtazapine 10mg assists sleep also now take propanalol if going into unknown or known bad situations works fairly well. only problem makes me look through myself as if i,m standing at the back looking on.

rosepetal
19-06-09, 19:31
Amitriptyline is actually an anti-depressant, one of the old style ones. My mum takes a low dose for trigeminal neuralgia.

I've been on propranolol on an as needed basis, with mirtazapine - and occasional zopiclone. I'm now just on the mirt., and in homeopathic treatment. I found the prop. did decrease the worst of my panic, but it made me feel more depressed and apt to dissociate - because it suppresses the physical effects, which, in my case, were caused my past trauma, and need to be expressed. But when my panic was through the roof, especially when I was withdrawing from efexor! - it did the trick.

banana
19-06-09, 19:38
Thanks for everybody's replies, much appreciated am not sure whether I will take the amitriptyline as I didn't think you could take two different anti-depressants together, but I am sure the doc knows best, does anybody have any first hand experience of taking two different anti-depressants together?

Thanks
Banana:)

valleybear
19-06-09, 20:26
I have taken propanalol and amitriptyline for years. 40mgm of propanalol a day and 10mgm trip at nightime. Should be fine. XXXX

ElizabethJane
19-06-09, 21:53
Dear Banana I was taking dothiepin and mirtazapine as well as lithium together. I needed an add on as I was going through a crisis and a relapse. Like amitryptyline dothiepin is an older antidepressant. I no longer take the mirtazapine as I was putting on too much weight. It worked well as an anti depressant though. My recent experiences of trying to come off dothiepin have been less than favourable ie introducing another anti depressant. Doctors know that the older tricyclics work well although they are more toxic in overdose and NICE guidelines are to encourage people to come off them unless no other alternatives can be found.

banana
20-06-09, 08:09
Thanks for your reply Elizabeth, what strength of anti depressant were you and did you have any side effects?

Thanks

banana
20-06-09, 13:50
Thanks for everybody's help. I did go and see the pharmacist today and she did say that the side effects were more prevalent in the higher doses and that as I am only on 25mg I wouldn't suffer too badly and also the fact that I am taking an anti-depressant already would mean my body is used to that sort of drug anyway, so am going to start these tablets tonight.

Thanks again
Banana:yahoo:

rosepetal
21-06-09, 07:10
How's it going so far with them?

banana
21-06-09, 07:20
Not very well, took my first one last night and within an hour felt really sick, very clammy and absolutely awful. Only got about 4 hours sleep last night so feeling really hacked off. Have just taken my propanalol and 2 kalms so hopefully that might settle me down a bit.

rosepetal
21-06-09, 15:44
I hope the worst of the side effects ease off soon - starting up effects can be intense, but they don't tend to last. If they do, get back to your doc!

TheMadPikey
11-10-09, 17:03
40mgs of propranolol is nothing to worry about its a very low dosage,i take 160mgs morning and night with 30 mgs of mirtazapine nightly with no ill effects.

daza.theman
17-10-09, 01:18
i took 40 mg of propranolol yesturday for the 1st time and it made me feel really spaced out! is this natural? i was told to take 40 mg 3 times aday for my panick atacks but dont want to if they make me feel this way!! dose this happen to anyone else , should i see my doctor? or do i just have to get used to them?

daza.theman
17-10-09, 23:20
please will someone help , i just need to no if its normal!!

daza.theman
18-10-09, 00:38
:unsure:, can nobody help!! please

tracy1
18-10-09, 02:20
hi,
i am on 40mg propanalo, 3 times a day and take 10 mg of anitriptyline at night, i dont take the amitriptyline every night, but now just take when needed, its fine to take

daza.theman
18-10-09, 13:29
but is getting spaced out on propo a normal thing when u first start taking it?

lostsoul
18-10-09, 13:59
Daza

40mg propranolo doesnt sound like to higher dose, my girlfriend takes 80mg in one go, but like anything your body needs to get used to it. Propranolo is a very safe drug, and well tolerated by most people.

Some will have problems with it like you are experiencing, Propranolol does make you a little tired and spaced out when you first start taking it, but if its really bad speak to your doctor. its not like an anti depressant it doesnt need time to build up in your system so you can stop taking it until monday when you can get hold of your doctor.

You could trying breaking the tablet in half and see if that helps with the feeling spaced out. I hate to say it but is there a chance that you are worried about taking it so once you do you make the side effects worse than they actually are. I only say that because I a veteran when it comes to tablets and I hate taking every single one, even paracetamol.

I even worry that taking vitamin suppliments will make me ill. I've taken them before then been convinced that they have increased my anxiety, when the reality is I have ingested no more extra vitamins than I would have done from having a few extra portions of veg!!

I hope your feeling a bit better now, just try to remember propranolol is one of the most widely used and researched drugs in the world, you will be fine with it. If you still feel spaced out after a few days, stop taking it and try something else.

We are all different and we all react differently to different things so its quite possible that you dont get on with this medication, however the alternatives can have far far worse side effects for some. Its also quite possible these side effects will resolve by themselves.

Hope this helps

daza.theman
18-10-09, 23:55
ok thank you for the reply, this site is great thank u everyone, i will give it till the end of the week, if i still feel the spaced out sensation then i will speak to my doc and see what she can do , many thanks again, its so good to speak to others with the same kinda thing i have , its took me nearly 20 years to even speak to my doc about my problems!! wish i found this site along time ago!

Emls78
01-10-18, 10:58
I know this post is very old but I was wondering about peoples experiences. I take 10mg propranolol twice a day to reduce my anxiety, my doc wants me to take 10mg amitriotyline at night to help with all the pain I have from anxiety. I get a lot of chest pains, stomach pains and palpitations, all the usual crappy anxiety symptoms. I’m worried about the amitriotyline and it making my palpitations worse, I also worry as it says in the leaflet in can interact with propranolol. Does anyone take these two together and what experiences have you had? I’m desperate to feel better but I’m scared of side effects etc ��