PDA

View Full Version : Help appreciated

mike339
19-06-09, 12:08
Feel a bit crap for flooding the forum with my problems as of late. Difficult to know what else to do.

For anyone who hasn't read my previous thread I split up with my girlfriend last night and had possibly the biggest panic attack I can remember. By 3am I was tired, confused and completely lost. For the first time in my life I actually considered cutting myself. I've never remotely thought about it before but I needed a release for my pain and anxiety. Fortunately I didn't do anything. The very thought of it gave me a shock that I actually considered it. My wrists became hot as if to tell me where to cut (sorry that's quite graphic) but I am proud that I saw sense.

I went to the doctor this morning and she has signed me off work for a few days and told me if I feel as if I want to self harm I should go straight to A&E. She's issued me with some Propranolol to control my anxiety. Has anyone has any experience with this medication? I think at the moment it may be helping. Once again sorry for going on, I find it comforting at the very least to get my thoughts written down.

Poopsigroo
19-06-09, 13:44
Hi Mike,
I'm sorry you're having such a tough time at the moment. I don't really know anything about the tablets, but just wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you. I hope the hurting will ease soon, it must be very raw at the moment. Try and get some rest
take care
x

mabelina
19-06-09, 14:25
I was taking Propranolol for years but it was for palpitations with me, not anxiety. It nothing for that. The only medication i swear by is Sertraline, it did absolutely wonders for me.

MaddyMoo
19-06-09, 23:15
Hi Propanonol is a mild beta blocker. Its a non addictive medication that is not habit forming and has few side effects.

Those it does have are based around sleepiness and fatigue usually. It has a variety of uses and in your case the dr has prescribed it for anxiety so it will basically be slowing your heart rate to alleviate the 'symptoms' of panic and anxiety. Hope this helps Maddy x:)