PDA

View Full Version : CHRISTMAS - SURVIVED

Lottie32
07-01-04, 10:46
Quite a few of you have asked how Xmas with Fred the Dentist went, so I thought I'd drop a quick post and tell you all about it. Unfortunately (or should that be fortunately?) it was pretty much event free.

The timing of lunch was becoming quite an issue in our household. Eventually, after Fred had kept muttering about later lunch, trip to the golf club, drinks with his brother, which kept being conveyed to me and my sister as "well your Auntie Janice never eats till 4, a lot of people don't eat at lunch time you know" from my mum. My sister and I stood our ground, and eventually my mum "flipped" at Fred and told him he had three options. He could go to the golf club and just come round in the evening (boy does this bloke drink and drive). He could come round and eat at 1.30 with us. Or he could turn up at my sisters when he wanted and have a plated lunch which would he could take home and heat up for his tea (my sister doesn't have a microwave).

He bowed down to my mothers disapproving glare, and opted for arriving at 1.30 to eat with us. I mean it's a bit rude. How many times are you invited out for a meal, then spend all the time before trying to change the eating time? You just don't do you (unless you are driving a long way, or relying on trains etc and just can't get there on time)

I left work on Xmas Eve, and drove over to my sisters house. We prepped everything in site, laid the table, created a centre piece with three T lights, a serviette, some fir cones and a sprig of holly, sorted the booze, made the desserts and generally got absolutely everything ready to go.

Then I went and mucked Trampus out and went home for tea. Unfortunately, something tripped in my head, and I found myself just feeling terribly anxious and strung. My tummy started, and I found it really difficult to eat my tea, even though I new I needed food. I tried a bath, my relaxation tape, a walk, reading a book, but I just couldn't "snap" out of it! My mum came into the kitchen (she was going to stop over night at my sisters) and found me staring into space over a cold fish supper. (It was one of those things you don't even realise that you are doing) "Whats up are you missing your gran" she said. Well that was it. For a whole hour I couldn't stop crying. I sent mum out for a drink with my sister, but she came home later because she didn't want me to be on my own overnight.

Imagine. Xmas Eve. All my friends out, phoning and texting me to find out where I was, and I'm on the bathroom floor slowly drowning in a sea of my own snot and tears.

Eventually I managed to sort myself out, (with the aid of some cucumber slices for the eyes), and I made it to the pub for 10.30. I just got really determined that I wasn't going to let it beat me this time. I managed a few drinks, then went home with Janet for a cuppa and to swap presents.

Unfortuately, we had a bit of a chat and the next I knew it was nearly 2am. I then started panicking cos I had wanted an early night, knowing that my anxiety is much better after a good nights sleep!

Xmas day I woke up all jittery and anxious - even though lunch was totally sorted. I went to muck Trampus out and had a little cry into his mane. He is very good at hugging back too, and there is something very comforting about a horses soft velvety muzzle snuzzling the back of your neck. (Unless you are frightened of horses of course, in which case, it's very scary)

I went home and showered and changed and went to my sisters. Its five miles and ten minutes away. She is my sister. I like her fiance. My mum was there. SO WHY WAS I GETTING WOUND UP ABOUT GOING!!!!!!!

Once I got there I steered clear of any booze and chocolates on offer, and had some dried fruit instead. We opened our presents then at 1, we hit the kitchen.

The cooking went really well apart from the potatoes which took 50 bloody minutes to boil (even split into two pans). Can you believe that dinner was nearly ruined, and it was the easiest thing to cook that nearly did it!

Fred the ex Dentist arrived at 1.33 (no

sadie
07-01-04, 21:28
Hi Charlie,

I think you did so well at Xmas...I think its just the time of year, the financial burden of it all etc etc etc that sends us anxious people over the edge. It doesnt help having people like Fred around..who makes things more strained!![}:)]

I dont know if it makes you feel any better and I dont know whether you have read any of my frantic posts over the Xmas period, but I too had a bit of a hard time...although I guess in a way mine was self inflicted!! I ran out of my meds on the monday before Xmas and never managed to get anymore, therefore, I spent Xmas day onwards suffering horrible withdrwawal symptoms. Luckily I had this site and Bryan and Meg as well as the other to keep me sane.[:0]

Anyway, I think you coped well..I mean I could never imagine myself planning a Xmas dinner, never mind cooking it...(Its a well known fact in my family that Im hopeless in the Kitchen), hubby cooks my tea just about every night!!!!

Its good to have you back though!!

Take care

sadie

Meg
07-01-04, 22:56
The Christmas period can be such an isolating time.

By that I don't mean being physically alone but we are all out of kilter , spending 'quality' time with people who are not in our normal support circles, having to try to be upbeat and joyful even when feeling terrible.

For some it's a cutting reminder of times past, others are torn between pleasing all facets of family and friends and end up not doing any of it happily and every oter scenario not yet thought of.

There are huge opportunities for error, misunderstandings, family dramas. I work in transplantation in my day job and in January the units are overwhelmed with loving siblings wanting to donate a kidney to their brother/sister on dialysis as they've seen first hand how it affects every day living so drastically.

They're all full of enthusiasm and altruistic meaning but by the end of Feb they've mostly disppeared back into the woodwork never to show up again.

So it's a massive period of turmoil and I'm pleased that we're all here back into routines again and can move on in our own pace again.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Lottie32
08-01-04, 12:17
Sadie

Thanks babe - I did log on a few times, but didn't feel like joining in (wasn't capable of it really), so I saw that I wasn't alone. Mind you, I don't think mine was as bad as yours doing involuntary cold turkey!!!! Are you still off the meds, or have you gone back on to reduce your dose gradually? Good luck with it anyway! Maybe (as well as not thinking too much) we should make another resolution to sort ourselves out in time for Xmas 2004?

Meg

You are soooo right. It was a bit of both I think. I missed the routine of being at work, and because it was Xmas, various things (like the gym) were shut or not open for long etc, so I couldn't get into a "holiday" routine either.

I had big issues as most of my mates were out and about, going for meals, to the pub, etc and generally being fun young things. I just couldn't face putting on a happy face, so I only met up with them a few times (but felt left out and lonely in between)!

Another no win situation!

I missed gran and dad too, although I tried very hard not to be maudlin about it. Instead of thinking Xmas will never be the same again, I tried my Xmases will be different from now on. I think it helped being at my sisters, where we had never had a family meal before.

My resolution though is NOT to get like that this year. I am going to get more organised for a start. I must be the only person who did all their Xmas shopping on November 5th, but was still wrapping presents at 9.30pm on Xmas Eve night!

And I'm going to plan something for each day of the holidays, so I feel like I'm in control, not just drifting and seeing what happens each day.

Thanks for that Meg - you have just confirmed what I had suspected. And it definitely makes it easier to feel **** if you can at least understand why (if that makes sense)

Love

Charlie

sadie
08-01-04, 20:36
Hi Charlie,

Yeah Im still off the meds and feeling so much better for it. It was tough but not tough enough to get me down for long...

I agree with your idea of getting more organised next xmas and trying to actually enjoy the festivities rather than dreading the whole thing.

Well hope you are feeling a lot better now that you can get back to the gym!

Take care

sadie

Lottie32
09-01-04, 13:08
Sadie

Feel much better now back into gym/work/Friday night out normal routine. How sad!

So pleased you are still coping without the meds, although not sure about your technique for doing it!!!!!!!

Well done babe - keep up the hard work

Love

Charlie

sadie
09-01-04, 23:48
Charlie,

I wouldnt recommend my technique for coming off meds either...it wasnt the most pleasant of experiences.[:0]

If anyone is thinking of doing it and would suggest you visit your GP and they will ensure you lower the dosage gradually to prevent any nasty side effects.

Nevermind, we live and we learn.:D

sadie

nomorepanic
10-01-04, 15:00
Hi Charlie

Good to see you back and glad you are ok now even though Xmas was a little traumatic.

You still managed to make me laugh as you tell the tale though.

Sadie - sorry to hear that you were unwell because of the medication (or lack of it). Good on you for staying off it though and I hope things are settling down now.

Nicola

Lottie32
16-01-04, 00:32
Nicola

forgot to mention boxing day - ended up in casualty with a foreign body in my eye.

Imagine the embarassment of standing in casualy whilst the trauma nurse filled in my details.

What were you doing when the accident happened - PLAYING TRIVIAL PURSUIT.

Never realised board games could be so dangerous!

Charlie

nomorepanic
16-01-04, 11:29
Charlie

How on earth did you manage to do that? was it one of the wedges from the game - lol?

Nicola

Lottie32
16-01-04, 14:49
NO!!!

But that's what everybody has said.

It was a small piece of plastic though - just fortunately a lot smaller than a "cheese" game piece.

I just rubbed my eye. Then it hurt. And we couldn't get it out!

Charlie