PDA

View Full Version : Pill Phobic

Barb
06-09-05, 15:38
Hi All
Doc gave me water tabs for blood pressure a month ago, but I have been too scared to take them, well doc phoned today to see how I was doing, he said water tabs wont hurt me and I could start slowly, so took half a tab ( tabs are only 2.5mgs to start with) went into instant panic, bad dizziness the lot, oh the power of the mind, I had hardly swallowed the thing. My daughter give me head reiki and calmed me down ,but still uneasy, how am I going to keep taking them. I know I have to wonder how others cope and if anyone on water tabs

Barb xxxx

eeyorelover
06-09-05, 15:46
Hi Barb -
I know what you mean. I find it hard to even take an aspirin cuz I just don't like taking medicine. Mostly I get the thought,"what if I am allergic". Which I know is a remote chance but I still think about it.
My doc had me on water pills a long time ago and I did just fine on them. No side effects what so ever. Well except that I had to go to the bathroom a lot more often :)
I will be sending good thoughts your way :)

Sandy
(eeyorelover)

Quirky
06-09-05, 15:53
I know how you feel Barb, I hate taking any medication, won't even take paracetamol unless I really have to. Partly it's because I have ME and react to many medications but alot of it is just anxiety. The side effects leaflets don't help either. Try and think of the good the tablets will do.
Take care, hope the tablets help.
LJ

Barb
06-09-05, 15:55
Thanks Eeyorelover
That helped,I feel so stupid but I just cant control how it makes me feel. What did you take water tabs for?

Barb xxxxxx

eeyorelover
06-09-05, 16:14
You shouldn't feel stupid, Barb. Going through other posts I have found that a lot of us have the same problem with medicines.
I took them cuz the doc thought they might help with my swollen ankles while I was pregnant (lonnnnnngggggg time ago - my daughter is 14 now).
Maybe looking through the other posts would give you some peace of mind. I know that just knowing I am not the only one who feels this way has helped me.

Sandy
(eeyorelover)

katieb
06-09-05, 20:50
Hi Barb
I take diuretics for blood pressure and have done for about last year. I too am pill phobic, but have not really felt any side effects from taking them, maybe a bit tired but nothing major. I may have to add to mine as my blood pressure is still a bit high. Just waiting my monitor results. They are supposed to have the least side eefects from all blood pressure medications. Hope this helps, try and see for a few days if the side effecta are really bad then maybe change to a different class of medication Katie x

seh1980
06-09-05, 21:40
I also hate taking pills of any kind.

Starting slowly is the best way and working up from there. After taking it, do something that takes your mind off it - that helps me.

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

hunny
07-09-05, 12:23
I detest taking pills.I am always worried i will have an allergic reaction or choke.
I think this is very common in anxiety sufferers

Hugs Hunny

Elle-Kay
07-09-05, 12:37
I used to hate taking pills too, even paracetamol (bit of a problem for a migraine sufferer, lol!), so what I used to do was cut them up into quarters, or even smaller, and take them that way, until I got used to them, and then gradually progressed to bigger pieces, until I was able to swallow the whole thing.

--- Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off the goal.

Barb
07-09-05, 15:54
Thanks everyone

Took my 2nd half today, still very uneasy about it, but its got to be better than blood pressure ( just )

Luv Barb xxxxxxxxx

seh1980
07-09-05, 16:43
You will get used to it Barb - hang in there!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

GAD
08-09-05, 20:07
Hi Barb

i also have this anxiety, again mostly about allergic reation or chocking and its awful, but im sure you will feel better about the pills once you have taken them for a while and realise thats its just your anxiety/panick thats making it diificult.

Michelle