PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP Pains in throat, "knot" in neck muscles...extreme itchy throat...gagging

CorneliusRuperTravis
21-06-09, 18:12
Hi everyone, i'm new here - only just joined. I was hoping to find some support for my own personal "symptoms", as they are driving me mad and are extremely distressing, as I have nobody else to turn to at this time (my family are very impatient with me, don't understand and sometimes even get snappy at me when I try to explain)

I have severe worries and anxiety when it concerns my throat. I regularly feel discomfort in my throat and neck, and I really don't know what to do about it.

Regularly, i feel like there is a kind of "knot" in my neck muscles, like I've pulled several or ripped the muscle in a way. I feel pain shooting up my neck, stiffness, palpitations in my throat etc.... i feel this right now and it is very painful and i am worried it is going to restrict my breathing. I'm worried my throat and neck muscles are going to go into spasm, choking me.

Another thing I have is I feel like there is a itch in the back of my throat. It starts quite suddenly, and builds up quickly until it is so extreme I am coughing and spluttering and I cannot breathe for it. The only way I managed to calm it down is by drinking very large amounts of water that I luckily had by my side. I have only had this about 3 times in the extreme, but i often feel it lingering and it panicks me.

Another thing that has come on suddenly in the past couple of days:

Sometimes when I go to eat, the gag reflex in my throat seems to "spring up" all of a sudden, and it feels as if it is going to go into spasm and gag me, closing my throat up and choking me. The sensation lingers around for about half an hour or so, and i have to stop eating to control it.

I have been checked over by my doctor, and there does not appear to be anything wrong with me at the current time. Although it is worth nothing that I have suffered from tonsillitis and severe throat infections about 4 times in the past couple of years, so I am worried that I have a kind of "weakness" in my throat glands or something.

Last night i was sitting in bed, and i had the worst headache ever. It felt as though all the blood was rushing to my head and that my head was being pushed hard from both sides. It got so bad that I had to rush to the bathroom. I had the headrush from Hell, and my neck pain got even worse and I could barely breathe. Walking around for a while seemed to help, but when I got back in bed the sensation come back.

I don't know what to do. I have an impatient, unsympathetic family that don't understand the pain i am going through. I am also very thin, and have difficulty eating because of this. However they do not understand, and just shout at me and force me to eat.

I really need some help, if there is any advice you can give, please leave it below. I just want this to stop. I've suffered from anxiety for the past 3 years, and I just wonder why these things have to happen to me...

mummyto4
21-06-09, 21:30
This sounds to me like very typical anxiety with also some hay fever involved. The hayfever will aggravate your throat and more than likely make your anxiety go into overdrive. Hay fever sufferers are getting a really bad time this year... including myself. Its horrible. I don't get it in my eyes just constant streaming nose and itchy throat which feels a bit tight (prob from worry) but could be aggravated. Remember, hayfever IS an ALLERGY so will give these symptoms.

CorneliusRuperTravis
21-06-09, 21:56
This sounds to me like very typical anxiety with also some hay fever involved. The hayfever will aggravate your throat and more than likely make your anxiety go into overdrive. Hay fever sufferers are getting a really bad time this year... including myself. Its horrible. I don't get it in my eyes just constant streaming nose and itchy throat which feels a bit tight (prob from worry) but could be aggravated. Remember, hayfever IS an ALLERGY so will give these symptoms.

Interesting you say that, as last Monday I was sitting on a grassy hill for an hour or so when I noticed my throat was starting to get itchy. The itch persisted for well over an hour, and I had actually considered to the possibility of hay-fever.

I have never known to suffer from this before, so I was not sure. Thanks for your post.

mummyto4
21-06-09, 22:19
Its really bad this year for sufferers for some reason. I do get it in my eyes (in previous years) but not this year, just my nose and throat. I have never heard so many people complain about it as have this year. Problem is, when its a new or different symptom, it sends anxiety into overdrive, which adds to the problem therefore making you think its something else. Your not alone hun, and hay fever can start at any time in someones life so don't base it on never having it before. I heard a survey on the news or somewhere that there are more sufferers than ever before this year. Its wrecking my summer!!!!
x

CorneliusRuperTravis
21-06-09, 22:24
Its really bad this year for sufferers for some reason. I do get it in my eyes (in previous years) but not this year, just my nose and throat. I have never heard so many people complain about it as have this year. Problem is, when its a new or different symptom, it sends anxiety into overdrive, which adds to the problem therefore making you think its something else. Your not alone hun, and hay fever can start at any time in someones life so don't base it on never having it before. I heard a survey on the news or somewhere that there are more sufferers than ever before this year. Its wrecking my summer!!!!
x

I hear you. All these symptoms do seem to have worsened in the past few weeks or so, so it would be very fair to put it down to hay-fever.

I'm just kinda worried now if this is going to affect my holiday. I go to Spain on Monday for a week, and I wonder if this is going to worsen my symptoms or improve them. I don't know much about pollen levels in other parts of the world, and how they are compared to the levels over here....

Kerrigan
21-06-09, 22:28
I know what you mean, I've had this sort of obsession with my throat for about 6 years now. I agree it sounds like hayfever but it's more a problem of anxiety because hayfever is common but your reaction is the real issue.

The headache you described sounds like head pressure built up either from excessive swallowing or it could be the tension you've build up around the throat causing a stress headache at the temples. When you get alot of tension in the muscles they can contract or spasm due to electrical impulses and it causes choking for a second.

If I've been swallowing alot I get a sore throat and if it goes on for days then I begin to get mild but worrying pains in my neck. Any humanly possible way you can find to beat this-try it because writing this makes me realize what a waste of energy and health it is. I haven't thought about swallowing much today because I've put it out of my mind as much as I can but when I come on here for moral support I find it recurs in my thoughts because I'm focussing on it so obviously the key is to neglect the thought.

I hope this helps. You might be better seeing your doctor for a referral to a therapist, doctors will always say 'there's nothing physically wrong' but thats their job, they aren't trained to psychoanalyse you you have to request that kind of remedy. Think positive.

CorneliusRuperTravis
21-06-09, 22:34
I know what you mean, I've had this sort of obsession with my throat for about 6 years now. I agree it sounds like hayfever but it's more a problem of anxiety because hayfever is common but your reaction is the real issue.

The headache you described sounds like head pressure built up either from excessive swallowing or it could be the tension you've build up around the throat causing a stress headache at the temples. When you get alot of tension in the muscles they can contract or spasm due to electrical impulses and it causes choking for a second.

If I've been swallowing alot I get a sore throat and if it goes on for days then I begin to get mild but worrying pains in my neck. Any humanly possible way you can find to beat this-try it because writing this makes me realize what a waste of energy and health it is. I haven't thought about swallowing much today because I've put it out of my mind as much as I can but when I come on here for moral support I find it recurs in my thoughts because I'm focussing on it so obviously the key is to neglect the thought.

I hope this helps. You might be better seeing your doctor for a referral to a therapist, doctors will always say 'there's nothing physically wrong' but thats their job, they aren't trained to psychoanalyse you you have to request that kind of remedy. Think positive.

Thank you. Your point about neglecting the thought makes a lot of sense, and I too find that putting it out of my mind will eventually make it go away. When I made this thread the discomfort was at 9/10. Now I am hovering about 2, typing this reply and reading the others, it isn't making me worse, but I know that if I stop to dwell on it it will come back.

But so far the replies have reassured me somewhat. If I find that coming on here makes me worse, then I will make the right decision and stop.

Thanks.

mummyto4
21-06-09, 22:34
Just had a quick read about it and Hay Fever is a lot higher in city areas of Spain moreso than rural areas,but they are suffering too. Get some anti histamines from the pharmacy and if they don't help, see your GP and explain that they are not working for you and they should give you something to help. I am taking some over the counter anti histamines at the moment, and have to say.... they are not working as of yet!!! Hope you manage to sort something out and have a fantastic holiday.
xxx

CorneliusRuperTravis
21-06-09, 22:42
Just had a quick read about it and Hay Fever is a lot higher in city areas of Spain moreso than rural areas,but they are suffering too. Get some anti histamines from the pharmacy and if they don't help, see your GP and explain that they are not working for you and they should give you something to help. I am taking some over the counter anti histamines at the moment, and have to say.... they are not working as of yet!!! Hope you manage to sort something out and have a fantastic holiday.
xxx

Thank you for looking, much appreciated. I shall try and get myself some meds and hope for the best.

Thank you for your kind words. :)

CorneliusRuperTravis
21-06-09, 22:43
Wednesday I meant. My flight is on wednesday. I'll try and find something before I go.

xfilme
21-06-09, 22:53
it could also be a dust mite allergy that causes the itching. I suffer from both this and hayfever. The hayfever bothers me during the day and the dust mite allergy keeps me awake at night. It can get so itchy to the point i get hysterical.Try taking a hayfever tablet as they also cover dust mite allergies, and try and hoover well. If its this causing the itching, it should start easing off.

CorneliusRuperTravis
21-06-09, 23:04
it could also be a dust mite allergy that causes the itching. I suffer from both this and hayfever. The hayfever bothers me during the day and the dust mite allergy keeps me awake at night. It can get so itchy to the point i get hysterical.Try taking a hayfever tablet as they also cover dust mite allergies, and try and hoover well. If its this causing the itching, it should start easing off.

Gah, that must suck. I will look into it, thanks for the advice.

CorneliusRuperTravis
22-06-09, 21:47
Hmmm, the "gagging" feeling came back again today. I feel it lingering in the back of my throat, along with the itch. Everytime I get an attack of this I also get an episode of depersonalisation, and a desperate feeling to walk away from any situation that I'm in.

I think that I am already starting to make a kind of recovery, because when I got this today I just told myself it was all in my head and I looked around for a way to distract myself, which worked.

I get a twinge now and then, and I don't have the horrible muscle pains/spasms today.

I find that breathing calmly through my nose, whilst keeping my mouth closed works. Breathing shallowly and trying to forget about it seems to work...

CorneliusRuperTravis
22-06-09, 22:55
Does anybody know exactly why this "gagging" feeling has come up all of a sudden? Currently i'm just putting it down to my anxiety taking different forms, but does anybody else suffer from this?

Sorry for triple post.

luisdelobo
23-06-09, 00:21
I sufferfrom bad hayfever and v itchy throat too . Have a flat in south spain near the sea and hayfever alaways gets better there so you should get some nice sea air to calm things down for you. try rinsing your mouth with sea water and sticking some up each nostril it really works for me good luck :)

CorneliusRuperTravis
23-06-09, 22:11
I sufferfrom bad hayfever and v itchy throat too . Have a flat in south spain near the sea and hayfever alaways gets better there so you should get some nice sea air to calm things down for you. try rinsing your mouth with sea water and sticking some up each nostril it really works for me good luck :)

Thanks, I'll be right by the sea tomorrow, so I'm hoping the clear air will help.
Just trying to use the week to relax, and hopefully the new surroundings will serve as a distraction.

I haven't had any real problems today, except a really weird headache about an hour ago. Felt like there was a burning sensation in the top right of my head, came on all of a sudden. The first stab was very painful, the second not as bad.

CorneliusRuperTravis
02-07-09, 01:47
Ok, I wasn't expecting this, but it seems worth writing about.

To sum it up:

It's been two days since I got off my flight home, and my right ear does not seem to have "popped" from the air pressure. My left ear is fine, but my right is a real problem. I can hardly hear out of my right side, I can hear a kinda "squeezing" noise in my ear when I swallow, and I am also experiencing tinitus in that side. I have tried every little trick, to no avail.

It is also worth mentioning that I am feeling very bunged up today. My nose is bunged up terribly, and my throat is quite sore. I feel this might have something to do with it.

My ear is aching and giving me a headache and a feeling of "not being right". Of course, probably just hypochondria making it worse, but it might be making me dizzy, causing these symptoms.

Anybody had anything like this before??

Kraggy
02-07-09, 10:12
You remind me ALOT about myself, I hear the sound of Balloons rubbing together/cracking sounds (Which I think you ment with Squeezing) whenever I swallow pretty much allways. I got a stiff neck the majority of the time and I hear cracking in my ear when I move my head around. The feeling of not beeing right is probably the anxiety, it reminds me of myself aswell.

Do you happen to use the computer alot by any chance?

CorneliusRuperTravis
14-07-09, 20:35
You remind me ALOT about myself, I hear the sound of Balloons rubbing together/cracking sounds (Which I think you ment with Squeezing) whenever I swallow pretty much allways. I got a stiff neck the majority of the time and I hear cracking in my ear when I move my head around. The feeling of not beeing right is probably the anxiety, it reminds me of myself aswell.

Do you happen to use the computer alot by any chance?

The ear thing has gone now. It was just an effect of the flight that went on for a bit longer than usual.

Yes, I do use the computer an awful lot I'm afraid. I think it has something to do with it. I often feel like I'm "not right", and then I get depersonalization, and then the "gagging" feeling starts in my throat. It's a cycle.

I just want to know what I can do to prevent these episodes...

Stressed32
15-07-09, 17:11
Try putting organic apple cider vinager and natural honey in your water. It will help sooth your throat and help with allergies. 2 tablespoons of vinager and honey in 16 oz. of water. This is a VERY good way to naturally heal your body! The vinager will level out your body's PH which will make the hayfever stop. Once you get it under control, cut the vinager to 2 teaspoons. Good luck.