PDA

View Full Version : Hysteroscopy (for the girlies)

jue67
21-06-09, 21:08
Hi
I have anaemia so my GP sent me for the pelvic ultrasound and i was told when we made the appointment that i would be examined internally at the same time. Well i had it and it was easier than a smear! Then i went to see a gynea consultant who said were my periods normal, yes just heavy!! so he said for my blood to be so low i must be really heavy which i am but just pad up and cope for the most part. Now he wants me to have a hysteroscopy and i wondered if any of you ladies have had one, ive read what happens but i hate anything medical, he also wants me to have mirena fitted at the same time if everything is okay, he said they would be able to see any polyps there and then and tell me, he said it may just be i have a thick womb lining and that alone can cause heavy bleeding , then he said we can check that there are no pre cancerous cells as well so its a good thing to have!!

now im beside myself as you can imagine. if anyone has had this how did you find it, i know im up for discomfort and bleeding afterwards, but why do i feel im gonna be the one who has a tear and has to have surgery or an infection!
im just thinking now should i not have the test and ask if they can just fit the mirena contraception that they hope will stop my periods.

cheers

jools

suzy-sue
21-06-09, 21:19
I had this done and had a Mirena coil fitted at the same time.They thought I had fibroids but I didnt.Its worth getting checked out and doesnt take long .Its no more uncomfortable than having a coil fitted.They will give you an injection ,it doesnt hurt. If you have fibroids the coil wont do any good so its better to be sure.I didnt have any more periods after it was fitted ,but it took a couple of months to settle down,there wasnt any heavy bleeding afterwards. Just a few mild cramps. I only wish they had done this earlier for me . All the best Sue x

pollyanna
21-06-09, 22:24
Hi

I dont know if you will be having this with a general anaesthetic or not, i had a hysteroscopy and biopsy done a few weeks ago, i had it done when i was awake, ( couldnt bear to be put to sleep) and i have Health anxiety and quite phobic about medical procedures!!, i was a nervous wreck,, so therefore had some diazepam before i went , but i would also recomend that you also take a srtong painkiller, and ibuprofen if you can take it... the procedure itself is very quick, but can be a bit crampy, but when they take the biopsy to test the womb lining it is a bit painful, but as i say it is over pretty quick, and although i dont want to cause you anxiety i do want you to be well prepared, so take both the painkillers and you should do allright, but if you are going to be knocked out, none of this will apply!!!!
I was given this as my periods are all over the place, and although not particularly heavy can last for weeks and WEEKS on end, very tiresome.....:wacko:
Afterwards it was a little uncomfotable for a couple of hours, but after that it was fine, not nearly as bad as i thought, and not really that much bleeding either... still awaiting the biopsy results but said everything looked ok, so might just be hormones that are a bit haywire!!!:ohmy:

Anyway, i am sure it will be ok, let us now how you get on.

jue67
23-06-09, 12:47
Hi
thanks for the replies, i havnt quite decided if i want to have this done but thank you as i feel reassured now you have let me know your experiences. I to am having it awake as have massive health anxiety. I now think if i have it done i do not want the mirena fitting as i have been told that i have to have an exam after 6 weeks and then keep checking it is in place, not for me, so i am going to see gp about taking the mini pill.
so many thanks

jools

pollyanna
23-06-09, 22:15
Whatever you decide jools, i hope it works out for you. x

P x:flowers:

loobylou39
16-10-09, 15:10
I had this done without any injection/anaesthetic its only mildly uncomfortable about the same as a smear (although I have had 2 kids). I had only slight bleeding and mild crampy pains afterwards.Try and relax which will definately help also its worth it to put your mind at rest as to whats causing the heavy bleeding. I had to have a hysterectomy because of a massive fibroid which was also squashing my bladder I wish I'd had the hysteroscopy alot earlier I could have been treated with hormone tablets to shrink the fibroid rather than have an operation but all went well I'm absolutley fine and love not having dreadful heavy periods anymore.....LLxx

jools.sandi
08-04-11, 23:46
Hi Jools

I've been having spotting in between my periods and last year they found I had a corrosion of the cervix so I had that frozen off. Was ok for 6 months but now the bleeding is back so after an ultrasound and a referal to a Gyno, he's advising that I have a Hysteroscopy as they think I have a polyp and possibly fibroids. No mention of looking for pre cancerous cells.

I'm also now having heavy and very painful periods since the freezing so he's advising I have a Mirena fitted at the same time.

I dread anything medical and am panicing about being put to sleep. I asked about it being done whilst I'm awake but he said he doesn't recomend it but reading on here people have had it done when they are awake.

I know I'll be in pain after but like you, can imagine I'll be the one that it goes wrong with, an infection etc.

But I know I need to have it done, 2-3 days a month I'm useless and I can't stand the pain anymore. I also have suspected IBS which I think can make periods worse but there isn't much they can do for that.

If I don't have the Mirena fitted then the polyps/fibroids can come back but then I'll be constantly checking the coil is there and panicing about infections as I know that can happen.

I know you should get thoroughly checked out just incase, but I'd rather not have to go through it all. I'll be glad when it's all over and done with!

Have you got an appointment yet? How long have you been waiting?

Thanks
Jools

Eternity
09-04-11, 00:08
Hi Jools
I'm not sure what a hysteroscopy is? Sorry if that makes me sound stupid. I've had quite a few appointments with colposcopy due to abnormal smears, had biopsies and cells etc burnt away and this was slightly uncomfortable but that was it. I suffered with heavy and irregular periods for years and first had the mirena coil fitted about thirteen years ago. I'm now on my third one and it's been a godsend. I don't take periods at all and my blood level has increased to normal. Apart from the initial six week check up which is painless and quick, it just requires yearly checks afterwards. Also checking that it is still in place is very easy, just a matter of checking that you can feel the threads (sorry if that sounds gross). I'm not sure if that helps but just wanted to let you know how it works for me.
Lots of love
Tina x

nomorepanic
09-04-11, 00:08
Jools - please note the original post was back in June 2009 so I don't think the member is even on here now.

Eternity
09-04-11, 00:09
Sorry, I didn't notice that either