PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of career in Psychology

maro111
23-06-09, 12:15
Hi,

I have been diagnosed with Social anxiety, OCD and Depression. I have been suffering with each of these for about ten years now. I am 28 and haven't worked for about 6 years due to my problems. Over the years I have been on medications and had a number of CBT sessions and various therapies. I am currently not on any medication but am coping with hypnotherapy cd's and herbal remedies when needed.

I now feel at the point that I would like to get back into work and start a career properly. I have been considering studying psychology and mabye entering this field of work.

The reasons for this are that as it has been such a large part of my life, I am naturally very interested in it and have alot of personal experience to offer. As well as this I would love to help other people who are going through the same thing. For me personally I always questioned the ability of a therapist to appreciate what I was going through, when they have never been through it themselves (thats not to say they weren't empathetic and understanding).

I have seen jobs advertised by MIND in the past that have required candidates to have had some experience of mental problems in the past.

My main concern is that if I constantly expose myself to anxiety (reading about it, talking about it, meeting countless people with it, will it make my own anxiety worse??). Or if I got to know more about it and understand the mechanics of it more, will I begin to see it in a more rational light. Also would the self-esteem gained from helping people, over-ride the anxiety.

I have been considering this for a while but am still not totally decided. I was wondering if anybody had any opinions they would like to share on the matter, or if anybody else themselves are considering this or have infact done it.

Many Thanks. :)

Keeway
23-06-09, 12:50
Hi Maro111

Yes I've thought about doing either a psychology degree with the Open University or an introduction to counselling course, which will probaly help with anxiety as I underrstand there is a lot of studying yourself and your own behaviour etc.
I have had anxiety for over 30 years and developed depression around 18 months ago
My own personal thoughta are that it is more likely to have a positive effect on you rather than a negative one.
Why don't you contact someone at MIND and talk it through with them?
If you do talk to them, let me know how you get on

Teresa x

maro111
23-06-09, 13:20
Hi Teresa,

Thanks for the reply!!

I think studying yourself and your own behaviour would be very beneficial. I think alot of people with anxiety will be unaware, on a physical level (symptoms), why they are feeling the way they do, which will make them even more anxious. Even a small amount of knowledge can provide an explanation and help ease the the worry.

I think I will contact someone at MIND, see what they think. Good Idea :) . I am also considering doing some voluntary work at MIND, although it could only be in the office, due to privacy restrictions.

On a personal level, I think being in a career helping people would be hugely beneficial confidence wise.

Mark :) :)

Poopsigroo
23-06-09, 14:02
Hi Mark,
Good on you i say, i hope you get some helpful advice. It would be a really rewarding job i think.
I thought about going into counselling for female sexual dysfunction as from my own experience i found a real lack supportive professionals who i've been comfortable with. It's just when i looked into it, i would have to study full time and have to have a background in medicine, which i don't.
Good luck with your endeavor though!
X

maro111
23-06-09, 14:39
Thanks Poopsigroo,

I am waiting for them ring back from MIND. Cant believe I rang them!!!! really pleased with self :) Hope they ring now lol. Also got an appointment with another voluntary service next week, if this dosent work out.

Sorry you couldnt pursue your own counselling course!

P.S. Will let you know what they say at MIND Teresa :)

Mark :)

bumble18
23-06-09, 14:45
I think this is a great idea =D ive recently studied psychology as i'd love to use my personal experience to help others
good luck an di hope you get exactly where you want to be =] i think it will really help knowing you can use your trauma and horrible times to help others get their lives back

xx

befuddled1
23-06-09, 15:14
Hi maro111

I am also 28 and have a lot of anxiety (much of it social), a history of OCD and elements of depression. I plan to work in mental health or a caring area for exactly the same reasons you mentioned. I think it's an excellent idea.
In fact, am a bit fed up today precisely because I've had a meeting with a doctor where I felt the problems I have were denied or undermined (not that she meant to). The more people with a real understanding of things in this area the better.
I tried the psychology route and it didn't work out for me personally. Working in mental health has been fab for me though.
Too fed up to write more at the mo but feel free to pm me if you like.

Befuddled

maro111
23-06-09, 15:52
Thanks bumble,

I dont think I could have put it better about using traumas and horrible times to help others!!! :) It would be amazing to get something positive out of it all!! I hope you get exactly where you want to be! Sounds like you are already well on your way :)

Mark

maro111
23-06-09, 15:57
Thanks Befuddled!! I have sent you a pm!

Your definately right that the more people who work in mental health who have a personal experience of it, the better!! If people suffering can see that others have suffered like them and managed to come out the other end successfully, it must give them a bit of hope!! :)

Keeway
25-06-09, 17:20
Hi Mark
Have you got anywhere with MIND yet?

I registered last night for an OU course called 'starting with psychology'. It's only a short course, but I should be able to tell from that whether I want to go further with the subject or not.

Teresa xx

Rachel_123
25-06-09, 17:38
go for it! theres no better psychologist than one who can understand exactly what people feel. im doing a nursing degree next year and i think i want to do a post grad in medicine :)

maro111
25-06-09, 22:21
Hi Mark
Have you got anywhere with MIND yet?

I registered last night for an OU course called 'starting with psychology'. It's only a short course, but I should be able to tell from that whether I want to go further with the subject or not.

Teresa xx

Hi Teresa,

I left a message with the person in charge of volunteer work but he hasnt got back to me yet. Will try again early next week if dont hear anything. I did speak to a counsellor that I have seen a few times, who thought is was a really good idea, but suggested that mabye i spent a couple of years away from the whole mental health scene, working in another industry. During that time I would study psychology and come back to working in mental health with more confidence and experience which I could pass onto those suffering. Going to give it some thought!

I have thought about doing a course with the OU as well. Your course sounds like a great place to start! When do you start?

maro111
25-06-09, 22:27
Thanks Rachel

Thats exactly what I think. A non-sufferer could read all the text books in the world but never fully understand what a sufferer goes through. One good thing that comes out of all, is that it makes you very empathetic and understanding of other peoples problems.

I hope your nursing degree goes well and you go on to do the medicine postgrad, sound like a great target to aim for :) :) :)

Keeway
26-06-09, 12:41
Hi Mark

The course starts September 1st and finishes January 31st. I started with the OU in 2002, so know lots about it. Pm me if you want to and I can go through any questions you have (if I know the answer of course:) ). I think it's a great way of learning, especially if you would prefer to do it from your own home.

They have a good support system for mental health and disabilities. They will even let you take an exam at home as long as you have medical evidence to say that you couldn't sit it under normal conditions. There is no exam with 'starting with psychology'

Teresa

Rachel_123
26-06-09, 13:03
Thanks Rachel

Thats exactly what I think. A non-sufferer could read all the text books in the world but never fully understand what a sufferer goes through. One good thing that comes out of all, is that it makes you very empathetic and understanding of other peoples problems.

I hope your nursing degree goes well and you go on to do the medicine postgrad, sound like a great target to aim for :) :) :)

thanks dude :)

ya i think its healthy to always have something to aim for...

:)
x

maro111
30-06-09, 16:52
Hi,

The person from MIND finally got back to me today. I told her my story and talked about mabye doing some voluntary work with them but was unsure if at the moment was strong enough to do it. She suggested I could start by doing some admin work in the office and at a later date mabye signing up to help with the befriending service.

Im not sure how I sounded on the phone but half way through she asked if I would like some councilling myself!! lol. I said yes as I would actually like a bit of guidance. In real life Im mabye not as sure of ready as i have made out in this thread, anxiety is still holding me back. So hopefully the councillor can help me through this next stage. I will pick his thoughts on the psychology.

mark :) :)

maro111
30-06-09, 16:54
Hi Mark

The course starts September 1st and finishes January 31st. I started with the OU in 2002, so know lots about it. Pm me if you want to and I can go through any questions you have (if I know the answer of course:) ). I think it's a great way of learning, especially if you would prefer to do it from your own home.

They have a good support system for mental health and disabilities. They will even let you take an exam at home as long as you have medical evidence to say that you couldn't sit it under normal conditions. There is no exam with 'starting with psychology'

Teresa

Many thanks for the info Teresa.

I am still giving the course some thought! :) Is very tempting!!

maro111
30-06-09, 16:57
Has anybody used the services of MIND before?

just looking at the website and they seem to have alot to offer. always been too scared to go into it any further.

mark :):)

Keeway
30-06-09, 17:36
Many thanks for the info Teresa.

I am still giving the course some thought! :) Is very tempting!!

Hi Mark

Have a look at the course - it's on the OU website:
www.open.co.uk (http://www.open.co.uk)

Type Y163 into the search and you will get a list - the first one should be Y163 starting with psychology. It will tell you all about the course. HAve a look around their website too to find out about learning with them

Teresa:)

Keeway
30-06-09, 17:42
Hi,

The person from MIND finally got back to me today. I told her my story and talked about mabye doing some voluntary work with them but was unsure if at the moment was strong enough to do it. She suggested I could start by doing some admin work in the office and at a later date mabye signing up to help with the befriending service.

Im not sure how I sounded on the phone but half way through she asked if I would like some councilling myself!! lol. I said yes as I would actually like a bit of guidance. In real life Im mabye not as sure of ready as i have made out in this thread, anxiety is still holding me back. So hopefully the councillor can help me through this next stage. I will pick his thoughts on the psychology.

Thanks for letting us know about MIND. I'm going to have a look at their website - it sounds exactly what I'd like to do eventually. Well done for ringing them. I have counselling and I find it really useful, but this could be to do with the fact that we both get on, so I trust her.

Teresa:D

maro111
30-06-09, 18:53
Hi Mark

Have a look at the course - it's on the OU website:
www.open.co.uk (http://www.open.co.uk)

Type Y163 into the search and you will get a list - the first one should be Y163 starting with psychology. It will tell you all about the course. HAve a look around their website too to find out about learning with them

Teresa:)

Thanks very much Teresa, I will have a look now!

Mark :) :)

tasia
30-06-09, 21:36
Hi Mark,
That is amazing as only tonight i was saying to my family im thinking of doing a course in psychology as like you ive suffered many years with anxiety and panic attacks as well as self harming and read many many books on the subject....good luck...i lack confidence..i say things but would i go ahead and actually do it I really dont know...but i wish you all the best...xx

maro111
30-06-09, 22:13
Hi Tasia,

Thanks very much for the good wishes! I am 100% the same..totally lack confidence. I like you, say things..but not should if would do it. I really hope this time I will, even if it takes some time. I also struggle with motivation, but hoping that will improve if i get out of the rut I am in.

I hope one day soon you find the confidence to go ahead with the psychology, or if not, something else you want to do!!! :)

mark :) :) :)

greeneyes
17-05-10, 13:55
Hi Mark,

Just wanted to know if you ever did your psychology course / worked in the office at mind ?

I'm in a similar position - struggling with my own demons but determined to give some decent support for others , that's so sadly lacking in the cash strapped nhs these days..

Really uplifting to hear that you & others want to put your experience to good use too - after all, who better to guide / support others with our conditions than those who have been through / are going through / are living with these anxieties ? and why aren't there more opportunities for us to help ???

Open University is a great start & does provide help for those with mental health " problems" - I've done a couple of the openings courses. The one on Psychology is FASCINATING.

Anyway, just wanted to see how things were going for you & tell you that people like you, battling with your own things but still want to improve yourself, are inspirational - go for it & maybe you're efforts will inspire me to start a new course myself ?