PDA

View Full Version : Ayup.

oliverb
23-06-09, 14:36
Hello everyone.

I'm Oliver, 53. I've suffered on and off with depression for over 25 years, and about 12 years ago started suffering from anxiety and panic attacks, which eventually led to me taking medical retirement from teaching. My wife died from cancer in 2002 and since then the anxiety has grown, and I've been more or less agoraphobic. No kids, and I've isolated myself from friends, so it's a bit of a lonely life.

I've lost count of the various meds I've been on over the years, but currently I'm on Citalopram and irregular trifluoperazine (taken when needed, but I'm only prescribed 28 1mg tablets per month). I've also been taking 25mg of Phenergan every night for the last three and a half years, which is apparently a Bad Thing, so I suppose I'd better stop it.

Over the years I've also had in-patient treatment and numerous sessions of counselling and CBT, to not much long-term effect.

Oh yes, I've just stopped smoking as well, after 30+ years of a heavy habit.

Um.. that's about it. I like the look of the site up to now and hope to explore it further.

Cheers
Oliver.

cheekycharlie
23-06-09, 15:25
welcome to the site Oliver. x

Funky Mum
23-06-09, 15:34
Welcome! nice to meet you :)

diane07
23-06-09, 17:02
Hi Oliver

A huge welcome to nmp

you'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way

best wishes

di xx

Southern_Belle
23-06-09, 17:06
Hi Oliver,

Welcome to NMP. You will find that many here feel the same way and will offer you support. Well done on stopping smoking!

Take care,

Laura

its all good
23-06-09, 17:32
:welcome: to our online family oliver. Every1 is really friendly on nmp and am sure u will find lots of help and support, maybe see u in the chat room sometime. Keep up with the not smoking, i know its hard but u will get there, best wishes, kayliegh x

oliverb
23-06-09, 17:38
Thanks for the welcome.

It's still only Day Three without ciggies so I'm still at the barking at the moon stage, but I'm more determined to give up this time than the 287 previous attempts. I'm sucking on a nicotine inhaler instead.

Oliver.

Bluebelle
24-06-09, 02:01
Welcome !
That's great you're quitting smoking ! You can do it !
Take Care
Bluebelle

Veronica H
24-06-09, 09:15
:welcome: to NMP Oliver. Glad that you have found us.There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes called 'self help for your nerves', published by Thorsons. This is available from the NMP Shop. Her work can also be downloaded free to your MP3 from the shop. I can not recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us, and how we can recover. Both my sisters managed to give up smoking in their 40's and I understand the first week is the worst....easy for me to say as never started...but good for you for trying. You will find comfort and support here.

Veronica