PDA

View Full Version : New Member with GAD

Rachel424
23-06-09, 18:05
Hi there, I joined this forum yesterday in the hope I would meet people with similar anxiety issues. I have been diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and have frequent panic attacks. I have been like this for 10 years and it has made my life a misery. I looking forward to meeting new friends on this forum and both receiving and giving support.

Louise21
23-06-09, 20:31
Hi Rachel,:welcome:

So glad you've found this site as I'm sure you will find it supportive.
I also have GAD and did post a couple of weeks ago on here asking if anyone else had it as well but didn't hear anything back!
It's a really debilitating illness as you well know. Are you on any medication for it? I'm on Pregabalin (Lyrica)
Best wishes,
Louise x

Funky Mum
23-06-09, 20:38
Hi Rachel, nice to meet you :D

suzy-sue
23-06-09, 21:27
Hi Rachel and :welcome: toNMP. Im sure youll find lots of help and support here luv Suex

Rachel424
24-06-09, 12:51
Hi Louise

Yes, GAD is awful to live with. I have been on citalopram for 5 years and that stopped working. In the last six months I have been taking Amitriptyline, but that didn't help either! Yesterday my doctor put me on escitalopram, but so far it is giving me terrible headaches and I was unable to sleep last night so I'm not sure whether I'll continue to take it. Have you had any luck with medication?

Best wishes
Rachel

Hi Rachel,:welcome:

So glad you've found this site as I'm sure you will find it supportive.
I also have GAD and did post a couple of weeks ago on here asking if anyone else had it as well but didn't hear anything back!
It's a really debilitating illness as you well know. Are you on any medication for it? I'm on Pregabalin (Lyrica)
Best wishes,
Louise x

Louise21
24-06-09, 16:49
Hi Rachel,
Yes, have been on numerous medications - a lot with really bad side effects!
I was on Citalopram for a while. I may be wrong (I'm sure people will correct me if I am!) but I seem to think Escitalopram is very similar to Citalopram because when I was on Citalolpram there was a mix up with my medication and I was given Escitalopram instead, so was taking that and when I told my GP he said it was ok. As I mentioned before, I take Pregabalin although I don't think it really helps. I currently take 25mg in the morning, 25mg around midday and 50mg at night, in addition to 7.5mg of Zopiclone. My sleep is really poor and has been for years, well before I had all the anxiety/depression. I was on much higher doses of Pregabalin but found it too much. I'm also prescribed Diazepam to take when required, but again quite a low dose (2mg) and only take that when I really need to. I last had a Diazepam on Friday. I'd like to know how long that takes to get out of your system, if anyone can tell me, please?
Please let us know how you're getting on.
Louise x

lorac
24-06-09, 17:31
Hi Rachel

Welcome to the site, I think you will find some good advice and support on here from people who really understand.

Take care

Carol

Rachel424
25-06-09, 10:03
Hi Louise

Yes, I think Escitalopram is very similar to Citalopram, but my doctor says it doesn't have as many side effects as Citalopram and other SSRIs. I'm not sure I believe him! I have very similar problems to you in terms of sleep, and I take practically the same medication. I have diazepam 5mg for really bad days. I will usually take half a tablet. I took one this morning at 4.00am because I couldn't sleep and was having bad side effects from the Escitalopram. I have also have Zopiclone but I don't take it every night. My doctor has just prescribed me Zolpidem 5mg which is very similar to Zopiclone but isn't quite as strong. I can only get a few hours sleep when I take it because it wears off too quickly. If you want to talk about your medication or anything else, just send me a message!:) Rachel

Hi Rachel,
Yes, have been on numerous medications - a lot with really bad side effects!
I was on Citalopram for a while. I may be wrong (I'm sure people will correct me if I am!) but I seem to think Escitalopram is very similar to Citalopram because when I was on Citalolpram there was a mix up with my medication and I was given Escitalopram instead, so was taking that and when I told my GP he said it was ok. As I mentioned before, I take Pregabalin although I don't think it really helps. I currently take 25mg in the morning, 25mg around midday and 50mg at night, in addition to 7.5mg of Zopiclone. My sleep is really poor and has been for years, well before I had all the anxiety/depression. I was on much higher doses of Pregabalin but found it too much. I'm also prescribed Diazepam to take when required, but again quite a low dose (2mg) and only take that when I really need to. I last had a Diazepam on Friday. I'd like to know how long that takes to get out of your system, if anyone can tell me, please?
Please let us know how you're getting on.
Louise x

Southern_Belle
28-06-09, 00:50
Hi Rachel,

Welcome to NMP. Many here will understand how you have been feeling and will give their support. I'm glad you found us.

Take care,

Laura