PDA

View Full Version : anything to help the adrenaline?

dange
24-06-09, 14:30
Hi guys,

I suffer from OCD which in turn makes me suffer from huge panic attacks which are extremely distressing. The worse is the huge terrifying rush of adrenaline which makes me have to get up and go from where ever i am. ARe there any meds that help to get rid of the adrenaline?

I feel like i cant cope with it anymore.

Thanks guys

lorac
24-06-09, 14:59
Hi dange

I was put on Proprannalol for this sometime ago because the doctor thought it may suppress some of the adrenaline. I don't take it any more and to be honest I don't really think it worked for me. I went through months and months of the adrenaline rushes so I do sympathise with you because they really aren't nice but I found the more I practised relaxing the more the adrenaline calmend down and I am now vertually free of it.

Hope things improve for you soon.

Carol

kenboon
24-06-09, 16:09
Hi,

Excercise will help alot as you are burning it off. It will get better in time, I used to have really bad rushes. But as you get better they will fade. Try and eat as healthy as you can too.

All the best

Ken

Chips
25-06-09, 01:09
Hi Dange

I found propanolol very good for controlling racing heart and starts working in about half an hour for me. I take 20mg morning and evening. Do find that I still get the adreniline filled arms and legs though. Like Ken says exercise helps.

Stu

panicpete
25-06-09, 03:26
I have read that Magnesium deficiency causes increased levels of adrenaline. So maybe an magnesium supplement would
help.

Reggie
25-06-09, 19:04
Have you tried talking yourself down from the adrenaline rush, I've had panic attacks for 10 years and I say to myself "yes, I know it's adrenaline being dumped in my body by a little gland above my kidneys - it will pass" I think making it not personal and realising it IS just a physical response to what your mind is saying can help.

I must confess that anxiety is my main problem now (though I'm feeling really good at the moment), but I've had awful panic attacks in my time too.

Rachel_123
25-06-09, 21:51
walking or running quickly burns off the excess adrenaline. remember, if you stop the intrusive thoughts and relax, your body metabolises all the adrenaline within 5 mins

x

nomorepanic
25-06-09, 22:06
Exercise will help it - even just running up and down the stairs!

dange
26-06-09, 20:04
thanks for all your responses guys, i'll give them a try

peter34uk
28-09-09, 20:20
Exercise will help it - even just running up and down the stairs!

Except your heart pounds out of your chest & so increases the adrenaline :weep:

TheMadPikey
28-09-09, 20:31
i take 160mgs of propranolol morning and night even that doesn't help me i have an overactive thyroid though