PDA

View Full Version : Medication V therapy

hunny
07-09-05, 16:05
Hi everyone
Im not sure if this is the right forum for this,but here goes anyway.
I have been referred to a community psyciatric team and prescribed anti depressants for anxiety.I havnt been taking the anti depressants as i wanted to see how i would get on in "therapy" first.
Is it possible that i can get through this without the use of anti depressants?
Just to make clear,i have suffered this for 6 years and have had medication in the past,and ,to be honest i cant remember a lot of the months when i was on them,which is why im not keen on taking them again
Thanks in advance for any advice

Hunny

seh1980
07-09-05, 16:41
hi Hunny,

Yes, it is possible to overcome this without meds but I think for most people it's more difficult. It really depends how much effort you put into it.

What meds have you been prescribed?

Sarah :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Quirky
07-09-05, 16:58
Hi there,
I overcome this without meds two years ago. I'm having a bad blip right now but I know it can be overcome. I went from really acute to 100% fine after 8 sessions of CBT. I was adamant that I didn't want meds and I still don't. That is my choice however and will not be the right choice for everyone. Meds do help alot of people so it's good to consider all options carefully. I just knew/know I have to work on my thoughts as even if I took meds I still need to help myself or the problems will still be there after coming off the meds. If you can get CBT and work really hard at it, it can be a huge help.
Take care and good luck whatever you decide.
LJ

Meg
07-09-05, 17:11
Try reading the NICE guidelines

Where to find Help for sufferers of Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Phobias and OCD (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/NMPcms.php?nmppage=help)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

hunny
07-09-05, 17:18
The meds are Trazodone Hydrochloride 150mg

Karen
07-09-05, 17:51
Hi Hunny

It is possible to recover without medication with the help of therapy. In fact taking medication doesn't guarantee recovery. It depends more on receiving the right kind of help and the determination and effort you put in to helping yourself and pushing forward.

If you really are not coping and are at the acute stage then medication can help you feel more able to work with the therapist and implement changes.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

hunny
07-09-05, 18:06
Thank you all
I know this sounds silly,but how do i know if im coping enough?Or is that a" how long is a piece of string" question,lol

Hunny

Quirky
07-09-05, 18:35
I think coping is a different thing for different people. There is no right answer to that, it's how you feel you are coping and what you feel you can cope with. Some people cope quite well with anxiety and panic and some just can't cope at all. It really depends on the individual in my opinion.
Sorry that doesn't help much.
LJ

hunny
07-09-05, 18:44
Yeah,i thought it was a silly question.I think i question myself a lot,and am very unsure of things a lot of the time

Hunny

Quirky
07-09-05, 18:49
Hunny,
It wasn't a silly question, no question is silly here, you ask away. It's just sometimes there isn't an easy answer. If you're ever unsure just post and ask, people will always help if they can and if they can't it's nice to know someone else understands and believe me most if not all of us do.
Take care,
LJ