PDA

View Full Version : 5-HTP anyone tried this?

dizzydruid
07-09-05, 16:30
Hi all,
I am getting so fed up with certain side effects of my anti depressants and I am beginning to wonder if I'm better off coming off them.
anyway, I was wondering if anyone has tried 5 HTP and if so what was the result and were there any unwanted side effects?

thanks, Lucy x

hunny
07-09-05, 18:45
Im not sure what that is,can you shed some light please?

Hunny

dizzydruid
07-09-05, 19:18
Hi Hunny,
I just found it by searching through google. It seems to be a natural supplement that you can buy in health food shops etc and it is meant to be similar to serotonin and can supposedly lift depression and anxiety in a similar way to SSRIs but I'm not sure if it works or not.

lucy x

nomorepanic
07-09-05, 20:03
5-HTP (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=164)

5-htp (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2256)

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

hunny
07-09-05, 20:32
Hiya

If its SJW then i tried it for a month and it made no difference,but then i think your supposed to give it a good 2 to 3 months to work.

Hunny

Meg
07-09-05, 23:19
It s different to SJW

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

hunny
08-09-05, 08:25
Sorry i cant be of help Lucy
One of the links wouldnt work and one talks about SJW.Ill have another look on net

Hunny

dizzydruid
08-09-05, 09:30
Hi,
[Duh!] had to google to find out what SJW was! I'm a bit slow lol!
I cant take SJW because of interactions with the comtraceptive pill :s
I think I will try and have a wander down to holland and barrett sometime next week and have a look at whats available.
thanks for looking into it and replying

lucy x

Sweep1
08-09-05, 11:35
to be honest I tried 5 HTP back in March time for 8 weeks and found that it made no difference. but it might be different for you - they do sell it in Holland & Barett, from memory its about £20 for 30 capsules.

take care

Sweep1

BrandyS
16-09-05, 18:12
Lucy,
Sorry for not responding sooner--just noticed this thread. 5-HTP stands for 5 hydroxytryptophan. It is a naturally occurring amino acid that boosts the production of serotonin in the brain. Much the same as some anti-depressants do, ie..Prozac. I have tried it, and I do have to say that I did notice some calming effects. Mostly it just made me sleep better---but, I do know that there are some contraindications to using it in combination with antidepressants, so you may want to talk to your dr. or something before beginning.
Brandy

ANXIETY26
23-09-05, 11:52
I have also taken 5-HTP. Did'nt work for me, just helped me sleep better.